Eye-opener for Texans

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

Eye-opener for Texans

#1 Postby Guest » Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:21 am

With the hurricane Claudette - I think this should of been an eye-opener in regards to making preparations and staying out of harm's way with hurricanes. Claudette was only a category one Hurricane - fast approaching category 2 when she made landfall. This left alot of people surprised at what conditions a category 1 or 2 can do. Hopefully this has been an eye-opener and will get folks better prepared in the future for the next system that hits the Texas coast. Comments welcome.

Patricia
0 likes   

therock1811
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby therock1811 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:19 am

Well said, my friend! Well said!
0 likes   

Rainband

#3 Postby Rainband » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:39 am

Glad you are ok!!! :wink: You are correct good lesson for all!! :wink:
0 likes   

GulfBreezer
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby GulfBreezer » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:13 am

It is sad Ticka that there has to be damage and lives lost for people to realize the strength of a hurricane. I have seen many storms in the last 30 years and have experienced first hand the havoc that Mother Nature can wreak. I have seen Tropical Storms do severe damage. It seems to be that complacency that has set in over the past few years. I see it here in my area where people have just started to not take these storms seriously. We have had an influx of new residents here and the majority are uneducated when it comes to the tropics. Maybe there should be some kind of Tropics Awareness class or seminar that people should be required to attend b4 purchasing any property on the Gulf Coast or any area that can be affected by a storm. You would think that they would need and want to know as much as possible before making the decision to live in such an area.

Anyway, just my 2 cents (ok, so maybe it was 4 cents)
Sandi
0 likes   

Amanzi
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Amanzi » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:24 am

Agree.. WELL SAID Ticka!

Sandi you have a good idea there, it should be mandatory for people who own coastal property to be made aware of hurricanes and the damage they can cause, maybe it could be enforced by insurance companies.

Just my 3 cents :lol:
0 likes   

Colin
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Colin » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:30 am

I agree ticka...I sure hope that this was an Eye-opener for those Texans. I bet at least half of them were unprepared, because they didn't listen to the weather reports.
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Lindaloo » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:32 am

I was going to ride Georges out in my home because it was ONLY a minimal hurricane. When the winds started picking up my house started vibrating and it was not even near landfall yet. I had boarded up the windows but not the North front door. I quickly changed my mind and called a neighbor to come and help me get it boarded up. Then I gathered up my children and my animals and headed to my Mother's home. About 3:30 in the morning the winds were howling. I mentioned that this does not sound like a minimal hurricane to me. I witnessed a tornado in this one too. When I was finally able to make my way home the next morning, the damage was unreal. I thought, DID THEY GET THIS ONE WRONG?!! When I got to my home the board that was covering the front door was cut in half and my front door was all dented in and partially open. The east side of the house was stripped clean of the vinyl siding. Some of my shingles were gone even though I just had a new roof put on 2 years before. When I went in the house all my pictures on the east side of the house were either on the floor or sideways. When the insurance adjuster came out he had found that the house had shifted causing about 10,000 dollars damage (My house is off the ground). But my home suffered NO damage from Camille or Frederic (checked the history on it because I did not live there) and no damage from Elena. We all know Camille was a bad one. So I am no longer complacent with a CAT 1 or "minimal hurricane" as some so lightly label them.

I have since bricked my home and had hurricane shutters installed. All I have to do now is push a button turn off the gas and electricity and I am outta here.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby Stephanie » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:57 am

Wow Lindaloo! That's quite a story! :o

I think the main thing is that people get complacent. You guys down there between this year and last had three storms come your way. Claudetter wasn't as hyped up as Isadore or Lily, but then again, there was really nothing to watch until she got right to the coast. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of life.

That's the one main fear though for those of us here on the East Coast. We really have not been affected by a hurricane other than I think Floyd up here in the MidAtlantic. It just takes one and with all of the building and lack of storms, one of these days w'er going to be for a rude awakening!
0 likes   

therock1811
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby therock1811 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:59 am

3 canes... but there was Bill too...
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”