In memory of Carla: Port O'Connor/Lavaca landfall, 9/11/61

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
tallywx
Category 2
Category 2

In memory of Carla: Port O'Connor/Lavaca landfall, 9/11/61

#1 Postby tallywx » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:00 am

From Carla's write-up:

Carla moved inland near the Port O'Connor-Port Lavaca area on Monday, September 11. The leading edge of the eye reached Port Lavaca between 3 and 4 p.m. The storm followed a northwesterly course carrying the center near Inez, Yoakum, Waelder, Austin, Waco, Fort Worth, and Dallas. Gusts to hurricane force were reported from Galveston to Corpus Christi, a distance of approximately 200 miles. A peak gust of 170 miles per hour was estimated at Port Lavaca. At Port Lavaca, wind equipment blew away after reporting 153 mph. Gusts to 150 mph were estimated at Victoria, Port Aransas, and Edna. Sustained 1-minute winds were reported at 115 mph at Matagorda, 110 mph at Victoria, and 88 mph at Galveston.

Tides of 10 feet and over were estimated along the coast. The highest tide reported was 18.5 feet at Port Lavaca...

A low pressure of 27.62 inches (935 mb) was reported by the Bauer Dredging Company at Port Lavaca...
0 likes   

Toni - 574
Category 1
Category 1

#2 Postby Toni - 574 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:04 am

There had to be many frightened people during that storm. I hope and pray that I never have to experience anything like that.
0 likes   

therock1811
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby therock1811 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:09 am

How far did it get, before it weakened to a TS? I know with Opal it went into northern sections of AL as a hurricane, before weakening to a TS as it went into TN, it even hit me with strong winds and heavy rain!
0 likes   

tallywx
Category 2
Category 2

#4 Postby tallywx » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:13 am

I guess it was a hurricane pretty far inland, considering that Austin reported a pressure of 973 mb and Fort Worth had 980 mb, the lowest respective pressures ever recorded in those cities.
0 likes   

galvbay
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Indianola Texas 1875 Storm

#5 Postby galvbay » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:54 am

http://alvyray.com/Family/Stories/Indianola.htm

This area of the Tx coastline seems get it's share of storms. The once flurishing town of Indianola took two hurricane hits and never recovered. It would have been on the southern eyewall of Claudette. There are still summer/fishcamps located there but I'm sure they had significant damage during Claudette.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#6 Postby GalvestonDuck » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:22 am

Okay, I'm lost. Since I moved here and starting hearing all the storm stories, I've always been under the impression that Carla and Alicia were the last two Galveston hurricanes. But now I learn the Carla was actually a direct hit to the same area as Claudette.

So, how about Alicia?
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#7 Postby vbhoutex » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:09 pm

GalvestonDuck wrote:Okay, I'm lost. Since I moved here and starting hearing all the storm stories, I've always been under the impression that Carla and Alicia were the last two Galveston hurricanes. But now I learn the Carla was actually a direct hit to the same area as Claudette.

So, how about Alicia?

Alicia came in over western Galveston Island and traveled NNW up over W Houston. The "eye" went directly over my house in the Spring Branch area.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

#8 Postby Guest » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:13 pm

Carla was one year before I was born - but my parents have motion pictures of the east side of Houston where she left her mark. Carla was a cat 4 storm - the storm surge left massive flooding in its path and it hit in Port Lavaca just like Claudette.

So imagine what it would be like if a cat 4 hit Port Lavaca - being on the dirty side of the storm we would still see alot of damage.

Patricia
0 likes   

KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

112MPH peak Gust at Galveston

#9 Postby KatDaddy » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:50 pm

Carla was a massive hurricane covering the entire GOM. The Texas Coast from Brownsville to Port Arthur had minimum gusts to 65MPH.

Hurricane conditions from Corpus Christi to Galveston. Corpus Christi recieved 90MPH winds

Hurricane forces gust over much of S Central TX. It was still a 40kt tropical Storm when it passed through the Fort Worth area.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

galvbay
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Carla & Allen

#10 Postby galvbay » Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:17 pm

The only reason I can remember Carla is that I stepped on a nail after the storm. Kingsville (40m south of Corpus) had a lot of downed trees and power outage. What about Allen? From what I recall...the sat pictures of Allen showed that it pretty much covered the entire GOM. I think Allen went in around Port Mansfield. Kingsville had a lot of trees down and power outage with that storm also.
0 likes   

galvbay
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Good Texas Storm Page

#11 Postby galvbay » Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:32 pm

0 likes   

JetMaxx

#12 Postby JetMaxx » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:51 pm

Carla was a massive hurricane....sustained hurricane force winds extended over 140 miles NE and 60-70 miles SW of the eye......tropical storm force winds extended 300 miles to the northeast and 200 miles SW of the center -- tropical storm force (40 mph+) winds from Carla occurred along the entire Gulf Coast from Northeastern Mexico to the Mouth of the Mississippi River.

Even though Carla made landfall over 100 miles SW of Galveston, sustained winds there were near 90 mph with a peak gust estimated at 120 mph (after the anemometer was destroyed at 112 mph). There was also a F4 tornado that struck Galveston during the night...and 8 people died (violent tornadoes are EXTREMELY RARE in landfalling hurricanes; the only other F4 I'm aware of to occur during a landfalling hurricane occurred at Larose, LA during hurricane Hilda in October 1964...it killed dozens; in fact was the deadliest tornado of 1964).

Hurricane Carla was also a slow moving hurricane...which served to prolong the period of hurricane force winds. Officially, Carla's central pressure at landfall is listed at 931 mb (private barometers in the Port Lavaca area measured 27.50"/ 931 mb).

Sustained winds were likely 140-150 mph...and gusts likely reached 180 in a few areas. As bad as it was, the middle Texas Coast in 1961 was very rural. Let a hurricane of this magnitude make a direct hit on Houston/ Galveston in 2003 and the damage toll would dwarf what Andrew caused in South Florida....75-100 billion is my personal estimate.

The thought of a hurricane this size and intensity striking South Florida...the Miami to Palm Beach area is even worse.....IMO damage would exceed 120 billion dollars (and it happened there three times since 1900...in Sept 1926, Sept 1928, and Sept 1947).

To get a perspective on the size of Carla....it was very similar to 1999's Floyd at his peak....an extremely intense and very large hurricane; the kind that fortunately doesn't make landfall in the U.S. often.

PW
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”