ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ENSO=CPC weekly update: Nino 3.4 up to +0.5C

#7681 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:03 pm

WeatherEmperor wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:El Niño is looking less likely according to the latest CFS.

https://twitter.com/mjventrice/status/856673625260384262

Is it possible the CFS is finally realizing the sub surface cool pools wont be able to sustain a full El Nino event?

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

Maybe, I'm really starting to believe the only way we can get an El Niño is if it's a Modoki.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

hurricanetrack
HurricaneTrack.com
HurricaneTrack.com

#7682 Postby hurricanetrack » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:07 am

FWIW - the BOM POAMA certainly has "cooled" its jets as of late:

April 23 run of POAMA model - 84% chance of neutral conds by Sept with only 15% chance of .80 or higher.

0 likes   

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#7683 Postby Kazmit » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:24 am

If it does end up developing, in my opinion, a Modoki El Niño seems to look more likely than a traditional one. But I'm still skeptical about the chances of an El Niño forming at all.
1 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#7684 Postby cycloneye » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:50 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Digital-TC-Chaser

Re: ENSO Updates

#7685 Postby Digital-TC-Chaser » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:00 am

Issued 26 April 2017
The ENSO Outlook remains at El Niño WATCH. El Niño WATCH means there is around a 50% chance of El Niño developing in 2017, which is approximately twice the normal likelihood.
ENSO is currently neutral, however a warming trend has been observed in the tropical Pacific Ocean since the start of the year. A majority of climate models suggest this warming is likely to continue with El Niño thresholds being met by spring 2017. All atmospheric indicators of ENSO remain neutral.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/enso/outlook/
0 likes   

GeneratorPower
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7686 Postby GeneratorPower » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:54 pm

In my opinion, this El Niño isn't happening. It's already on shaky ground with the way the subsurface anomalies are (not). You've basically got a broad, Pacific-basin-wide warming of around 1/4 to 1/2 a degree. It shares some characteristics of an El Niño but I think it's just not happening.

This El Niño threat reminds me of the SPC's High and Moderate risks for severe weather this year. There is some bad weather but overall the threats are being exaggerated. Not intentionally, but still the rumors of our demise are greatly exaggerated.

Not saying my analysis is scientific completely but it has a feel to it. The trend is your friend. And the trend I see is mushy evidence of a supposed weak El Niño supposedly coming on later this year, forecasted by models that have a known predictability barrier in April. Not impressive.

I think at some point the Itty Bitty El Niño Committee taking to Twitter with their fresh-off-the-press copies of unreliable model output back in March are gonna change their tune. We're already seeing some reversals.
4 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#7687 Postby Ntxw » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:10 pm

GeneratorPower wrote:In my opinion, this El Niño isn't happening. It's already on shaky ground with the way the subsurface anomalies are (not). You've basically got a broad, Pacific-basin-wide warming of around 1/4 to 1/2 a degree. It shares some characteristics of an El Niño but I think it's just not happening.

This El Niño threat reminds me of the SPC's High and Moderate risks for severe weather this year. There is some bad weather but overall the threats are being exaggerated. Not intentionally, but still the rumors of our demise are greatly exaggerated.

Not saying my analysis is scientific completely but it has a feel to it. The trend is your friend. And the trend I see is mushy evidence of a supposed weak El Niño supposedly coming on later this year, forecasted by models that have a known predictability barrier in April. Not impressive.

I think at some point the Itty Bitty El Niño Committee taking to Twitter with their fresh-off-the-press copies of unreliable model output back in March are gonna change their tune. We're already seeing some reversals.

Keep in mind, just because an official Nino may not happen does not mean you won't see El Nino like conditions. In fact this has been happening in the mid latitudes even during the Nina as the +PDO and IO forcings have resembled more Nino. The overall background state of the globe (particularly in the northern latitudes) look more Nino than a Nina. So just because you may not officially see 0.5C does not mean to write off that hurricane seasons or weather patterns won't show Nino. In fact you can make the argument the broad warming is due to this background state imposed to be Nino-like since 2014

You can see the Pacific state wants a Nino per say. Arguably it is what stunted the Nina growth of last year, never got going strong with the PDO never flipping negative.

+PDO on the left, or decadal Nino trends. Negative PDO on the right or Nina decadal trends.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#7688 Postby Yellow Evan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:29 pm

GeneratorPower wrote:In my opinion, this El Niño isn't happening. It's already on shaky ground with the way the subsurface anomalies are (not). You've basically got a broad, Pacific-basin-wide warming of around 1/4 to 1/2 a degree. It shares some characteristics of an El Niño but I think it's just not happening.

it's April 26. Most ENSO events peak during the wintertime. Not every event is like 2015 and gets started in the spring.
1 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7689 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:55 am

Ntxw, PDO over/under +1.00 for April?

It has indeed taken on a classic horseshoe shape. In fact it's the best its looked since the warm phase flip.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#7690 Postby weathaguyry » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:48 am

It's been almost a week since we've had any SOI values below -15, and today's value came in at 18.67. I'm not saying that this is going to 100% ward off a Nino, but I'm just saying that if a Nino were to develop, it would have a tough time and probably wouldn't get going until the fall, I know that I shouldn't focus on the daily values, but if the SOI stays positive for any longer, it will really start to chip away at that negative 30 day value
0 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#7691 Postby Alyono » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:35 am

weathaguyry wrote:It's been almost a week since we've had any SOI values below -15, and today's value came in at 18.67. I'm not saying that this is going to 100% ward off a Nino, but I'm just saying that if a Nino were to develop, it would have a tough time and probably wouldn't get going until the fall, I know that I shouldn't focus on the daily values, but if the SOI stays positive for any longer, it will really start to chip away at that negative 30 day value

SOI is meaningless now as there is a cyclone by Darwin
2 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#7692 Postby Ntxw » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:39 am

Kingarabian wrote:Ntxw, PDO over/under +1.00 for April?

It has indeed taken on a classic horseshoe shape. In fact it's the best its looked since the warm phase flip.

Not sure about 1 but could be in the .80s or .90s and more defined than March was
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#7693 Postby weathaguyry » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:45 am

Alyono wrote:
weathaguyry wrote:It's been almost a week since we've had any SOI values below -15, and today's value came in at 18.67. I'm not saying that this is going to 100% ward off a Nino, but I'm just saying that if a Nino were to develop, it would have a tough time and probably wouldn't get going until the fall, I know that I shouldn't focus on the daily values, but if the SOI stays positive for any longer, it will really start to chip away at that negative 30 day value

SOI is meaningless now as there is a cyclone by Darwin

Ok, that makes more sense
0 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5

#7694 Postby Macrocane » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:39 am

Ntxw wrote:
Keep in mind, just because an official Nino may not happen does not mean you won't see El Nino like conditions. In fact this has been happening in the mid latitudes even during the Nina as the +PDO and IO forcings have resembled more Nino. The overall background state of the globe (particularly in the northern latitudes) look more Nino than a Nina. So just because you may not officially see 0.5C does not mean to write off that hurricane seasons or weather patterns won't show Nino. In fact you can make the argument the broad warming is due to this background state imposed to be Nino-like since 2014

You can see the Pacific state wants a Nino per say. Arguably it is what stunted the Nina growth of last year, never got going strong with the PDO never flipping negative.

I agree, a +PDO can have effects in the Atlantic similar to those of an El Niño with higher than normal wind shear and drier air, but surely they won't be as bad as 2015 IMO.

2014 was an anomaly as El Niño started to develop until the end of the year but the Caribbean experienced very high wind shear in the summer. I think no other non El Niño year had such conditions before and I don't believe the +PDO was the only climate pattern to blame.
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7695 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:35 pm

That cold pool continues its trek east, but the latest frame from April 23 some what seems to shows it smaller in size.

Looks like cool anomalies have already reached 1+2.
Last edited by Kingarabian on Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7696 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:05 pm

Daily values for the 28th should be less positive (if im reading the Euro and GFS correctly). Then we should see big negatives come back around this weekend as the TC over northern Australia moves away and higher pressures build again.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#7697 Postby cycloneye » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:30 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#7698 Postby dexterlabio » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:54 pm

How does this year's ENSO state compare with that of 2006?

At this point I think we're in a similar situation as last year when the models were showing a strong La Nina event happening, and we have seen folks easily jumping on the Nina wagon.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7699 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:31 pm

dexterlabio wrote:How does this year's ENSO state compare with that of 2006?

At this point I think we're in a similar situation as last year when the models were showing a strong La Nina event happening, and we have seen folks easily jumping on the Nina wagon.

Completely different. Cold PDO, Nino regions not as warm compared to this time of the year.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7700 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:34 pm

Nino 3.4 should be at least +0.5C for the 2nd straight week. Could be higher if it maintains over the weekend.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”