ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
WALL-E
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: Re:

#6281 Postby WALL-E » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:51 pm

Dean_175 wrote:
WALL-E wrote:

Could you please tell me the link where you get the WWB forecast from?

Can see it here on Mike Ventrice's page : http://mikeventrice.weebly.com/hovmollers.html

Look for time longitude plot for 5N-5S of 850mb zonal wind (anomaly or totals).

Thank you.

I'm very curious about the up coming WWB, it's crucial for further boasting a super nino.
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#6282 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:23 pm

Could we see our first 1.5C reading on Monday??
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#6283 Postby Dean_175 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:27 am

GFS looks to be decreasing its forecast strength of the WWB.

Ntxw- what is your take on that?
0 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#6284 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:35 am

:uarrow: 30 kt WWB going on now WOW

GFS showing a low-tracking monster typhoon over the WPAC too
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#6285 Postby euro6208 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:24 am

xtyphooncyclonex wrote::uarrow: 30 kt WWB going on now WOW

GFS showing a low-tracking monster typhoon over the WPAC too

862 mb as a matter of fact!!! :double:
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#6286 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:32 am

862? Holy Moly.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#6287 Postby Ntxw » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:42 am

Dean_175 wrote:GFS looks to be decreasing its forecast strength of the WWB.

Ntxw- what is your take on that?

Actually the GFS is strengthening it, maxing out the scale on anomalies. This has been the case for the other WWBs, this is a major WWB similar to March and May

There needs to be serious consideration that we may have a potential super Nino >2c in the making.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ENSO Updates

#6288 Postby LarryWx » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:53 pm

LarryWx wrote:
Per the 0Z 6/22 Euro, there look to be more strongly -SOI days over the next few with a bottom ~6/25-6 in the high -30's to low -40's before a rise back to near the -15 to -10 range 6/30. Based on these projections, my first rough estimate for the June SOI as a whole is for -7 to -9, which would be quite a comeback into negative territory after having been +5 MTD as late as 6/15. Regarding how this June would compare to past either 2nd year Nino's that were strong to superstrong or standalone superstrong going back to 1877-8 (nine years in the sample..see list above), this would be in range but near the lowest magnitude of negative for June, which was -7.0 in 6/1877. The average for the sample of nine is -18. It will be interesting to see how July gets going. It looks to start pretty negative with perhaps -10's on 7/2.

The -SOI daily low peak for this drop was almost definitely today as tomorrow's should rise into the lower -40's and possibly up to the high -30's. It will mostly rise between now and 7/6, when it could be a small positive though it should still be negative come 6/30. (maybe near -15?)

Kudos to the Euro model for doing well in forecasting the SOI all of this month.

My current projection for June as a whole is for between -9 and -10, which represents quite an abrupt turnaround from the MTD of +5 as of 6/15. Also, compare this -9 to-10 to these strong El Nino June analogs:

1997: -24.3
1987: -17.9
1982: -17.2
1972: -10.9
1940: -17.2
1905: -27.7
1896: -27.0
1888: -14.4
1877: -7.0

So, it will end up similar to 1877 and 1972.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6289 Postby Ntxw » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:48 pm

Thanks for the SOI updates Larry. Seeming the noisy SOI this month had little effect on the Nino as it continued to warm from the beginning of the month to the end despite the uptick, but quick turnaround now as you said.

Here is the raw wind totals, not anomalies. Big WWB

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#6290 Postby euro6208 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:57 am

Last 7 days and it's plummeting alright :double:

0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6291 Postby Ntxw » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:02 am

Westerly wind burst forecasts continues to get stronger as the initiation has already occured. This is very impressive, huge oceanic kelvin wave will push another mass of warm waters below. CFSv2 is "hinting" at possible another WWB in August/Sept. You have to believe it folks, we may be watching a Super El Nino unfold. This is not your every day El Nino, classic traditional El Nino with readings that are not often seen this time of year.

0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

tstorm98
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#6292 Postby tstorm98 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:56 am

0 likes   

WALL-E
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re:

#6293 Postby WALL-E » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:09 pm

Ntxw wrote:Westerly wind burst forecasts continues to get stronger as the initiation has already occured. This is very impressive, huge oceanic kelvin wave will push another mass of warm waters below. CFSv2 is "hinting" at possible another WWB in August/Sept. You have to believe it folks, we may be watching a Super El Nino unfold. This is not your every day El Nino, classic traditional El Nino with readings that are not often seen this time of year.

That one looks stunning. It's going to boast a monster K wave.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6294 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:27 am

Steady at 1.4C this week
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#6295 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:24 am

Text of CPC 6/29/15 update that has Nino 3.4 at +1.4C.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/analys ... ts-web.pdf
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#6296 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:21 am

With a strong Nino forecast, I am thinking major (potentially serious) mudslides this coming Fall/Winter in California, especially where the vulnerable burn areas have been. Have some relatives out there.

Drought to deluge.
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

CaliforniaResident
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6297 Postby CaliforniaResident » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:57 am

What is the time frame between a strong WWB and the actual warming of the 3.4 region?
I'm guessing about two months? So we should see another rapid uptick of this region around late August or early September? Could the 3.4 hit the elusive 3.0 C mark around labor day or shortly after?
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#6298 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:09 pm

CaliforniaResident wrote:What is the time frame between a strong WWB and the actual warming of the 3.4 region?
I'm guessing about two months? So we should see another rapid uptick of this region around late August or early September? Could the 3.4 hit the elusive 3.0 C mark around labor day or shortly after?

This new massive WWB, may even be strongest this year, will keep pushing and warm things for the next 2 months. May see 2C by fall. 3C is such an extreme event though I doubt that will happen.

I wish we had more data on the 1982 Nino, it probably had some powerful WWB late summer and early fall that snuck up on everybody from weak Nino to rapid super Nino.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#6299 Postby Dean_175 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:08 pm

Ntxw- how much of an delay do you think there will be between the WWB and the beginning of its influence on nino3.4 temps?
0 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#6300 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:30 pm

Dean_175 wrote:Ntxw- how much of an delay do you think there will be between the WWB and the beginning of its influence on nino3.4 temps?

I'm not sure, I don't have too much experience with WWB and their direct influences on timing of ENSO. I think it's all depends on the surface winds in the eastern basin which is favorable for warming. Even though today's reading held steady from the CPC we can see warming occurring overspreading from Nino 3. The next reading should rise. The key I think is eventually to have the whole (actual SST's) warm mass to push all the way east where it is warmer over the eastern Pacific than western Pacific below.

Here is the look from 1997 at it's peak

0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”