ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Hunabku
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: ENSO Updates

#7541 Postby Hunabku » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:54 pm

Keep in mind that in addition to delaying the onset of El Niño, trade surges also serve to help pile up more heat in key WWB areas. Although the current trade surges are kind of a little too far west, they still might be a double edged sword since future WWBs don't matter much if there's not enough heat for them to push westward.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#7542 Postby cycloneye » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:55 am

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#7543 Postby cycloneye » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:14 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#7544 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:47 am

Down a bit to 0.2C. All areas saw a little cooling but nothing significant. Overall the onset of El Nino if there is to be one seems to be delayed for the time being as trades continues to blow over the equatorial Pacific with another trade burst possible early April. The odds of having El Nino during ASO the past month has decreased, in my opinion as trade winds continue.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7545 Postby gatorcane » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:11 am

Not a surprise El Nino appears to not be materializing. Seemed strange to get another El Nino on the heels of such a strong El Nino just two years ago. Still thinking Atlantic could be quite active this season with all of the latent heat buildup in the atmosphere from the 2015 El Nino not to mention the second year after El Nino is usually more active. I think you can still argue there were some residual El Nino effects across the Atlantic basin in 2016 (at least the first half) which we wouldn't expect this year being 2 years past the 2015 event.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#7546 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:53 am

gatorcane wrote:Not a surprise El Nino appears to not be materializing. Seemed strange to get another El Nino on the heels of such a strong El Nino just two years ago. Still thinking Atlantic could be quite active this season with all of the latent heat buildup in the atmosphere from the 2015 El Nino not to mention the second year after El Nino is usually more active. I think you can still argue there were some residual El Nino effects across the Atlantic basin in 2016 (at least the first half) which we wouldn't expect this year being 2 years past the 2015 event.

Spring barrier and MJO can be noisy. Arrow is still pointing to El Nino vs another Nina all things considered. It will just take longer and lessen the possibility of a bigger event. Needless to say uncertainty is high.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#7547 Postby dexterlabio » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:57 am

The signals look mixed, not to mention the spring barrier, but my only question for now is how an El Nino this year would be unprecedented? I notice most of the EN episodes for the past 2-3 decades followed La Nina's. I know we just came out of a super El Nino in 2015, but with the appearance of La Nina last year, another EN this year doesn't sound so unusual..
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#7548 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:34 am

Waters off the coast of SA in the pacific seemed to have cooled DRASTICALLY according to SST temps on tidbits website. This could effect our weather over the next few weeks.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#7549 Postby cycloneye » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:28 pm

CPC weekly update of Nino 3.4 is down to +0.2C and Nino 1+2 down to +2.2C.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/analys ... ts-web.pdf
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#7550 Postby cycloneye » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:28 pm

0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7551 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:06 pm

Looking at the latest dailys, I think it's safe to say that the trade winds haven't done much to cool the Nino regions. Let's see how they do in April since more should be around the corner.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#7552 Postby cycloneye » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:54 pm

0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#7553 Postby cycloneye » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:17 am

2 likes   

Digital-TC-Chaser

#7554 Postby Digital-TC-Chaser » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:45 pm

K/W moving over the EQ.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#7555 Postby cycloneye » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:49 pm

2 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#7556 Postby cycloneye » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:26 am

CPC weekly update has Nino 3.4 creeping up to +0.3C.It was at +0.2C last week.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/a ... ts-web.pdf
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#7557 Postby Hurricaneman » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:14 pm

There is a cold pool forming at the subsurface around 160w and that's one thing that needs to be watched as that could possibly stop an El Niño if it spreads and the trade winds continue
0 likes   

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7558 Postby WeatherEmperor » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:26 pm

Hurricaneman wrote:There is a cold pool forming at the subsurface around 160w and that's one thing that needs to be watched as that could possibly stop an El Niño if it spreads and the trade winds continue

I was juuuust about to ask about this. I see that right at the surface the waters are getting to El Nino threshold...but the subsurface tells a very different story. Can some of you post some subsurface temp graphs? El Nino cannot get going unless it gets strong sub surface support, yes??

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#7559 Postby Ntxw » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:28 pm

WeatherEmperor wrote:
Hurricaneman wrote:There is a cold pool forming at the subsurface around 160w and that's one thing that needs to be watched as that could possibly stop an El Niño if it spreads and the trade winds continue

I was juuuust about to ask about this. I see that right at the surface the waters are getting to El Nino threshold...but the subsurface tells a very different story. Can some of you post some subsurface temp graphs? El Nino cannot get going unless it gets strong sub surface support, yes??

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

That's correct, without a foundation it is hard to impossible to get an El Nino. The stronger trades in March really took things backwards.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#7560 Postby weathaguyry » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:31 pm

That is for sure something to consider, if an el nino was going to form in time for the hurricane season, you would usually know by now, because the water would be starting boil up throughout the sub-surface. With the cold pool at 160W, I really can't see anything happening until at least September. The warm water is very shallow and all it would take is just a burst of wind in the other direction to stir up the water. But i'm not an expert on trade wind bursts and that sort of stuff...
0 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”