ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ENSO Updates

#12041 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:10 pm

cycloneye wrote:Cool Neutral from September.

[url]https://twitter.com/climatesociety/status/1405590640096854020[url]

That consensus line is verifying pretty badly. Likely due to the NASA and the GEM_NEMO weighing it down. Nearly all Nino 3.4 measures are at 0.0C or higher.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12042 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:18 pm

Euro has above average trades west of the dateline. This setup favors further upwelling and cooling of the subsurface. We could see more negative anomalies popup at the subsurface to stunt what looks to be a new downwelling KW in the WPAC. The weaker trades over the CPAC and EPAC will keep the Nino regions SSTA's warm for a little while.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#12043 Postby aspen » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:49 pm

Kingarabian wrote:

That consensus line is verifying pretty badly. Likely due to the NASA and the GEM_NEMO weighing it down. Nearly all Nino 3.4 measures are at 0.0C or higher.

So does that mean a warm neutral or a sudden ENSO change to a Nino is more likely?
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12044 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:28 pm

aspen wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:

So does that mean a warm neutral or a sudden ENSO change to a Nino is more likely?

It just means that the reversal to -ENSO isn't going to happen as quickly and abrupt as those models think. The subsurface snapshot and 850mb wind forecasts don't support a quick shift to moderate-strong La Nina as those models show. IMO by the end of the 2021 hurricane season, the NMME will have preformed badly compared to any other blend.

-ENSO is more likely. This trade burst forecast by the Euro will likely spawn negative/cool anomalies at the subsurface and in theory those negative/cool anomalies will begin to move to the EPAC in the form of a upwelling KW. The current April downwelling KW (the warm subsurface pool currently beneath the EPAC) will finish surfacing and become depleted within the next 30-45 days.

July will likely also feature very strong trades and create even more upwelling at the subsurface. It is likely by the end of August or mid September, that cool anomalies should be surfacing and the reversal to -ENSO/La Nina would be well on its way.
3 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#12045 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:01 pm

If it is true that this year will likely feature some -ENSO, I feel like later down the line we should definitely begin to assess how negative ENSO becomes as it could have implications for 2022's setup.
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12046 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:18 pm

CPC had Nino 3.4 down to -0.5C. Was 0.0C last week.
Why such a massive difference compared to the BOM, CDAS, CRW, and the buoys?
850mb winds have been moderately strong out of the west for the past and for the next 5 days (according to the models), while the subsurface charts show no upwelling or cool anomalies near the surface.

Even the buoys are at least 0.0C.

The only thing I can think of is that they're explicitly using OISST which has been very cool over the ENSO regions.
Last edited by Kingarabian on Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
4 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

#12047 Postby Stormybajan » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:24 pm

Kingarabian wrote:CPC had Nino 3.4 down to -0.5C. Was 0.0C last week.
Why such a massive difference compared to the BOM, CDAS, and CRW?

Maybe an error on their part? I have a hard time seeing the Nino regions near -0.5 right now
0 likes   
Sad West Indies and Manchester United fan ⚽️

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12048 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:40 pm

Stormybajan wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:CPC had Nino 3.4 down to -0.5C. Was 0.0C last week.
Why such a massive difference compared to the BOM, CDAS, and CRW?

Maybe an error on their part? I have a hard time seeing the Nino regions near -0.5 right now

Could be that they're using OISST but the 7 day difference doesn't really support the CPCs numbers as well.
The long held belief here was that they were using the buoys for their weekly values, and not noisy satellite data like CDAS, OISST, and even CRW.

Nino 3.4 already down to -0.5C this early would be a game changer. Not even 2017 cooled down this quick.
4 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12049 Postby Kingarabian » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:47 am

Subsurface resembling 2017 and 2019 very nicely.

Maybe 2021 has more of a downwelling KW (weak) signature in the WPAC pushing into the CPAC compared to 2017 and 2019. But upcoming trade bursts should stunt it.
5 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12050 Postby Kingarabian » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:13 pm

If anyone is interested, was able to get an email back from the good folks at the CPC:
I asked why there was such a discrepancy between the CPC's Nino 3.4 weekly value vs the BOM, CDAS, OISSTv2.1, and Coral Reef Watch.

I don't think that the issue is how the indices are created, but rather the underlying dataset used to create them. CPC uses a weekly product developed and maintained at NCEP called the SSTOI.v2 and also calculates anomalies relative to the 1991-2020 base period. Not sure if the base period change is different at this point, but I'll admit that I personally was surprised to see the significant drop to -0.5C. In some ways, this highlights issues with monitoring these indices on a weekly basis, as they could tend to be noisy. Assuming this decrease isn't "real", I'd expect the index to increase back closer to zero next week.
10 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12051 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:06 pm

All Nino regions up again this week. Everything back up to 0.0C except for Nino 1+2 which is down to +0.2C.

GFS and the Euro forecasts indicate that a longterm moderate strength trade burst has kicked off, which spans from 110E-170E. CFS for some reason keeps trying to force westerly anomalies across the entire equatorial Pacific which I really doubt will verify due to the models bias. This is a 850mb wind setup + forecast that resembles the summer of 2017.

The trades have a lot of work to do though since the thermocline is more suppressed compared to 2017. There's also a new actual weak downwelling KW. Meaning it's not just spot warm anomalies at the subsurface, but a wave with energy pushing >+1C waters east. So unless the trades consistently stay above moderate strength for the next 2 months, it doesn't seem likely we'll see a very quick August reversal to -ENSO. We'll likely see this happen in September.
3 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12052 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:59 am

While the atmospheric pressure pattern is tilted towards -ENSO and 850mb winds are all anomalously strong trades, the subsurface will likely stop a quick August transition back to -ENSO/La Nina. Likely be a September flip. Too much downwelling activity this year vs 2017. Frequent downwelling KW activity this year is due to the abundant amount of anomalously warm waters in the WPAC. It has been a non stop supply. Compared to 2017, where there was no stream of warm anomalies from the WPAC.

2017:
3 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#12053 Postby weeniepatrol » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:56 pm

buckle up!
5 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#12054 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:51 am

Yowza.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#12055 Postby cycloneye » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:02 am

There is a growing consensus that ENSO will be between cool neutral and La Niña in the next few months.Here is the latest from the European and the Aussies.

4 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#12056 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:39 am

cycloneye wrote:There is a growing consensus that ENSO will be between cool neutral and La Niña in the next few months.Here is the latest from the European and the Aussies.

https://i.imgur.com/2KfWBOg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DMGx77n.png

Wow, even that graphic shows a chance of entering a Moderate La Niña phase for this winter. If it verifies, one would have to wonder if that would have any implications on next years hurricane season, especially if it were to last for a bit.
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12057 Postby chaser1 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:17 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
cycloneye wrote:There is a growing consensus that ENSO will be between cool neutral and La Niña in the next few months.Here is the latest from the European and the Aussies.

https://i.imgur.com/2KfWBOg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DMGx77n.png

Would potentially play a role in THIS & next year's hurricane season. Right now, my concern is for the year we're in.

Wow, even that graphic shows a chance of entering a Moderate La Niña phase for this winter. If it verifies, one would have to wonder if that would have any implications on next years hurricane season, especially if it were to last for a bit.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12058 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:51 pm

Climo is winning here and we'll likely see a return to La Nina. After a double dip La Nina, climo favors +ENSO of some sort. Though they can fail(see 2012).
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#12059 Postby cycloneye » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:53 pm

Kingarabian wrote:Climo is winning here and we'll likely see a return to La Nina. After a double dip La Nina, climo favors +ENSO of some sort. Though they can fail(see 2012).

What? Maybe a triple dip La Niña?
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12060 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:56 pm

cycloneye wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:Climo is winning here and we'll likely see a return to La Nina. After a double dip La Nina, climo favors +ENSO of some sort. Though they can fail(see 2012).

What? Maybe a triple dip La Niña?

Remember 2010-2013 could be counted as a 4 year -ENSO event. Anything is possible.
4 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”