ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

Re: ENSO Updates

#6481 Postby Dean_175 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:51 pm

I wonder if we will get a positive IOD. They often start to develop this time of year. Doesn't happen every El Nino , but it often happens when you start getting cooling way out in the far west Pacific--which produces easterly wind anomalies over the equatorial Indian Ocean. 1997 and 2006 were both positive IOD. Though 2006 was a weak El Nino, it had some cool waters in the far west and near Australia this time of year. 2009 didn't see a positive IOD, despite being a moderate El Nino-- possibly since it stayed warm out west.

We are seeing a fairly mature El Nino with a cool far west Pacific- and net easterly wind anomalies over the Indian Ocean in July.

At 850mb:
0 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6482 Postby Ntxw » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:47 am

Daily anoms at 3.4

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

Re:

#6483 Postby Dean_175 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:45 pm

Ntxw wrote:Daily anoms at 3.4

Warmest week yet this year in the dailies. Could we see 2.1 or 2.2C on Monday?
0 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Re:

#6484 Postby Ntxw » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:28 pm

Dean_175 wrote:Warmest week yet this year in the dailies. Could we see 2.1 or 2.2C on Monday?

I think it should. Greatest sea level rises have been in Nino 3.4. We'll be near 2.4C-2.6C pretty soon later next month. This is the first Super Nino of the real digital age and of this board. It's going to be compared to future events for sure. I'm equally as interested to see if we transition to La Nina next year, if so that will be unique to track as well.

This event has also cleared up some things for me, such as global moisture and tropical activity increasing, even with the Atlantic (for now, next year it may follow) not fully on board but the net globe is dramatic. Record pace in fact.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6485 Postby Ntxw » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:53 pm

Update tomorrow, I'm calling for 2.1C. Latest daily from tropicaltidbits is 2.244C. Just amazing run for this powerful El Nino.

1997 around the same week saw 2.1C and then 2.0C for the final week of August. It held very close to that (2.2C) for the remainding of September and then continued more impressive warming in October.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#6486 Postby Dean_175 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:25 am

This weekly will be :

Nino3.4 up to 2.1
Nino1+2 down to 1.7
Nino3 at 2.2
Nino 4 at 1.1
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO: CPC 8/24/15 update=Nino 3.4 up to +2.1C

#6487 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:07 am

Text of CPC weekly update up to +2.1C at Nino 3.4.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/a ... ts-web.pdf
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6488 Postby Ntxw » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:27 am

Of note the 2.1C ties 1997 as the monthly August record for nino 3.4
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Iknownothing
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#6489 Postby Iknownothing » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:41 am

So it seems we are more or less on par with 97' in the 3.4 region. But what effect will the much lower Temps in the 1-2 region mean for the development of this El Nino?
0 likes   

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#6490 Postby JDawg512 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:03 pm

Iknownothing wrote:So it seems we are more or less on par with 97' in the 3.4 region. But what effect will the much lower Temps in the 1-2 region mean for the development of this El Nino?

From what I understand, (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), the cooling is temporary. There are bits of cooler water in between the warmer segments rather than one solid kelvin wave. So you could say it's a little upwelling phase if you can even call it that. The water is not extremely cool, still above average but it's cooler than the warmer segments. We should see new warming anytime as it looks like the next batch has reached off the coast of South America.

It will probably just elongate the warming in 3.4. As the slightly cooler water makes its way west it may cool 3.4 a little but then warm again later in the autumn.

Let me know Ntxw or someone else if that sounds about right.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6491 Postby Ntxw » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:17 pm

JDawg512 wrote:From what I understand, (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), the cooling is temporary. There are bits of cooler water in between the warmer segments rather than one solid kelvin wave. So you could say it's a little upwelling phase if you can even call it that. The water is not extremely cool, still above average but it's cooler than the warmer segments. We should see new warming anytime as it looks like the next batch has reached off the coast of South America.

It will probably just elongate the warming in 3.4. As the slightly cooler water makes its way west it may cool 3.4 a little but then warm again later in the autumn.

Let me know Ntxw or someone else if that sounds about right.

Sounds like a good explanation to me! That's one area I'm not too good with on research is the warming of ENSO 1+2. It can happen so fast and dramatic mostly because the cold tongue nature (cool water is pushing up naturally while warm water is being pushed east, the further east the warmer 1+2). To make things more complicated it is relative to what the climatology for the time year as the seasons change to determine the anomalies.

This is why it can be so difficult to label modoki, or canonical unless there is a definitive cold east (la nina levels) and warm central for a prolonged time. Otherwise anomalies fluctuates back and forth with the cold tongue nature and climo. This area is warmer now with this climo etc then is cooler than that area with the same SST's a month later etc yuck.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#6492 Postby LarryWx » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:59 pm

We've had 50 straight days of a -SOI. That's the longest -SOI streak by a good margin since the 1997-8 super-Nino.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6493 Postby Ntxw » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:54 pm

:uarrow: Streak continues on Larry.

Update Monday, any guesses? I'm going for 2.2C

Above, below doesn't matter how you look at it. It is a full blown super El Nino. Warm waters of the WPAC have migrated way east beyond the dateline.

0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

Re:

#6494 Postby Dean_175 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:37 am

Ntxw wrote:
Update Monday, any guesses?

I would guess 2.1C- -stay constant from last week.
0 likes   

tstorm98
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#6495 Postby tstorm98 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:39 am

2.1 or 2.2
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6496 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:32 pm

What's the chances that next year we'll be in a neutral rather than a La Nina?
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

Re:

#6497 Postby Dean_175 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:19 pm

Kingarabian wrote:What's the chances that next year we'll be in a neutral rather than a La Nina?

I am favoring a La Nina - but neutral is still a good possibility. Its certainly not unheard of to get neutral after a strong El Nino. In fact, the 1982 super El Nino was followed by cool neutral in late 1983--with La Nina waiting till 1984 develop ; though this cool neutral was short of La Nina by only one month's ONI.

Since 1950- only around half of strong El Ninos (3 consecutive ONIs at/above 1.5C) were followed by La Nina. Similar result for Ninos of at least moderate intensity. In fact the strong 1957 El Nino was followed by a weaker El Nino. But even if we assume that no El Nino will occur next year (as that would almost be 3 consecutive Ninos if you count 2014 as an unofficial one) - the odds of a La Nina predicted from this still wouldn't be much higher than 60 percent or so.

There are dynamical reasons that El Ninos - particularly moderate or strong ones- are often followed by La Nina--but history shows that its hardly a slam dunk by any means that we get La Nina.

I'd put it the chances of neutral in the 25-45 percent range.
Last edited by Dean_175 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#6498 Postby LarryWx » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:48 pm

:uarrow: I believe that chance of 2016-7 being a Niño is very low since that would make it essentially a triple and there has been only one triple since the late 1800's: 1939-40, 40-1, 41-2.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

Re:

#6499 Postby Dean_175 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:11 pm

LarryWx wrote::uarrow: I believe that chance of 2016-7 being a Niño is very low since that would make it essentially a triple and there has been only one triple since the late 1800's: 1939-40, 40-1, 41-2.

Yeah - I think that's a pretty safe assumption.
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#6500 Postby Hurricaneman » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:36 pm

Dean_175 wrote:
LarryWx wrote::uarrow: I believe that chance of 2016-7 being a Niño is very low since that would make it essentially a triple and there has been only one triple since the late 1800's: 1939-40, 40-1, 41-2.

Yeah - I think that's a pretty safe assumption.

There is evidence so far that this El Nino might be peaking now and by november it will start on a downward trend with the + subsurface kelvin wave starting to decrease this could be the peak of this el nino with it being steady until november with a decline to La Nina by Summer 2016 at least IMO

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”