ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5201 Postby Ntxw » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:33 am

The weekly index shows 3.4 is at 0.5C. Should be official at the update

We know 30 day SOI has been well negative, 90 day (3 months worth) SOI has just about reached the Nino threshold.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO: CPC 9/15/14 update=Nino 3.4 up to +0.5C

#5202 Postby cycloneye » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:45 am

The text of the CPC 9/15/14 update that has Nino 3.4 officially at +0.5C

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/a ... ts-web.pdf
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5203 Postby Blown Away » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:01 pm

Is it safe to say this almost El Niño has been main reason for below average activity?
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

WPBWeather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5204 Postby WPBWeather » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:18 pm

Blown Away wrote:Is it safe to say this almost El Niño has been main reason for below average activity?

If it is just getting there now ( a big if, IMHO) can it be the cause of things before it arrived (if it has arrived)?
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5205 Postby Ntxw » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:44 pm

Blown Away wrote:Is it safe to say this almost El Niño has been main reason for below average activity?

The El Nino is not to fully be blamed, but Pacific SST configuration has not helped. Atlantic conditions were already sub par to start with for a large chunk of this season. An area that oftens contributes a good amount of activity is the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean. They have experienced shear especially the Caribbean likely due to the fact that Nino 1+2 has been more than warm enough since late Spring to induce shear adjacent to it. A lot of the times the gulf gets seeds for storms from waves tracking through the Carib from MDR, they have not been able to sufficiently survive the Carib this year on a consistent basis.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5206 Postby NDG » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:41 pm

WPBWeather wrote:

If it is just getting there now ( a big if, IMHO) can it be the cause of things before it arrived (if it has arrived)?

IMO, though not officially the past several months the atmosphere has behaved a lot an El Nino, besides below average named storms due to the very dry conditions at the MDR, windshear across the Caribbean this season is usually typical during an El Nino plus the high activity over EPAC, another reason.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5207 Postby NDG » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:45 pm

Ntxw wrote:

The El Nino is not to fully be blamed, but Pacific SST configuration has not helped. Atlantic conditions were already sub par to start with for a large chunk of this season. An area that oftens contributes a good amount of activity is the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean. They have experienced shear especially the Caribbean likely due to the fact that Nino 1+2 has been more than warm enough since late Spring to induce shear adjacent to it. A lot of the times the gulf gets seeds for storms from waves tracking through the Carib from MDR, they have not been able to sufficiently survive the Carib this year on a consistent basis.

You are probably right, the fact that Nino 1+2 has been well above average during most of the hurricane season is probably the reason why the Caribbean has been so unfavorable.
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#5208 Postby Ptarmigan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:17 pm

Ntxw wrote:

There also has been a lot of dry air from the Saharan Desert.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#5209 Postby LarryWx » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:04 pm

Ptarmigan wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

There also has been a lot of dry air from the Saharan Desert.

I believe that there is a rather strong correlation between oncoming El Nino's and dry air in the MDR. In other words, I think both shear and dry air in the MDR tend to be associated with El Niño.
Even though we seem to just be reaching the Niño threshold, the SOI has been solidly negative for over six weeks. That means the atmosphere has been behaving like there has already been El Niño since early August. Even if we assume a few weeks lag, that would still mean an effect on the season for September and quite possibly late August (heart of season).
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO Updates

#5210 Postby cycloneye » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:20 pm

CFSv2 now is projecting a multi-year Weak to Moderate El Nino extending well into 2015. Ntxw,do you think this upcoming El Nino will be a multi-year one?

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#5211 Postby LarryWx » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:24 pm

cycloneye wrote:CFSv2 now is projecting a multi-year Weak to Moderate El Nino extending well into 2015. Ntxw,do you think this upcoming El Nino will be a multi-year one?

I'd also like to know Ntxw's opinion. The last multiyear Nino was mid 1986 to early 1988. Prior to that, it was mid 1968 to early 1970. Others (excluding back to back like 1976-7 and 1977-8): early 1953 through early 54 (though it is borderline if this should even count), late 1939 through early 1942, possibly late 1929 through mid 1931, late 1913 through mid 1915, mid 1904-early 1906, late 1899 through early 1901, and possibly mid/late 1884 through early 1886.
So, looking back at history, one thing I can say is that we're due for a multiyear Nino. I mean it has been 26.5 years since the end of the last one, which is about as long a period as there has been between them since at least the late 1800's, even if 1953-4 isn't counted.
****EDIT: Look at it this way: we've had seven straight single fall/winter Ninos. There hasn't been this long of a streak of single fall/winter Ninos since at least the late 1800's. So, we're due for a multiyear Nino in that regard fwiw (in case are any cyclical forces in play).
****EDIT #2: I guess my take is that they haven't been all that rare in terms of frequency considering that the current streak of seven straight single fall/winter Ninos is the longest since at least the late 1800's. If I count the three that are questionable as multiyear, I count 24 singles vs. 9 multiples. 24:9 ratio is not that high. I mean that would imply more than a 1 in 4 chance that any one Nino will end up as a multiple, which is way too high to discount imo. Even if all three questionable are not counted as multiple, I still count 27 singles and six multiples. So, even with that, the implication would be almost a 1 in 5 chance that any one Nino is going to end up as a multiple. Even that would seem high enough to keep multiple as a realistic possibility.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5212 Postby Ntxw » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:57 pm

I think sample size is quite small (going by reliable ONI) to predict a multiyear Nino. Those are some interesting numbers Larry, looks like it has a realistic chance. But realistically I wouldn't call for something with as low odds.

Using CPC ERSSTv3b back to 1950, not accounting for anything other than ONI values, here's some statistics I've gone through for the various states of Nino (weak, moderate, strong); the multiyear Nino's for this purpose I am counting as one Nino.

For this purpose since strength of Nino's can sometimes cross gray lines I've decided to set weak being anything up to 0.9C, moderate from 1.0C to 1.6C, and anything greater than 1.6C as a strong

ENSO events/years followed by Weak Nino
Neutral - 60% of the time
Nino - 20% of the time
Nina - 20% of the time

ENSO events/years followed by a Moderate Nino
Neutral - 22%
El Nino - 0%
La Nina - 77%

ENSO events/years followed by a Strong Nino
Neutral - 20%
Nino - 20%
La Nina - 60%

So by this, what happens to this Nino in the next few months will give us a hint as to what next year will bring. Given the sample is quite small. If this Nino is weak I would give the CFSv2 some more credibility, but going from a Nino of any kind to another Nino is not easy. One interesting note that even though when counted as one large Nino the two true extended Nino's 1968-1970 and 1986-1988 were actually moderate when counted single the first year (I discount 1957-1959 because JAS and ASO 1958 went below required threshold).

Side note if we remain at neutral and do not get the Nino the statistical odds of a La Nina are 0% when using the new base period. Never have we seen an official Neutral year progress into La Nina since 1950.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#5213 Postby cycloneye » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:09 pm

:uarrow: Thanks Ntxw as always for your great insights about ENSO that you bring. Also to Larry for his contributions.Let's see what happens with this upcoming El Nino down the road.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#5214 Postby cycloneye » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:44 pm

Here is the Mid -September update of the plume of all the ENSO models where the majority are at Weak El Nino thru the Spring of 2015.

http://iri.columbia.edu/our-expertise/c ... o/current/
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#5215 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:45 pm

Yellow Evan wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:How's the PDO?

I read it was down to 0.67. A few on another forum are suspecting the +PDO is not ENSO driven, but rather, it's driven by the extreme amounts of blocking/-NPO we go early this year, which warmed the ocean.

Interesting.

But history has shown that almost all El-Nino's have warm PDO's. I think ENSO plays some kind of role. Who knows?
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

gigabite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5216 Postby gigabite » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:25 am

The global warming may be having a bias on the way el Nino data is perceived. All the forecast methodologies are based on probabilities derived from recent data (during the warming trend), as the current definition of el Nino was announced Sept. 30, 2003.

If this is the beginning of a trend reversal the current methodologies may be irrelevant for a time.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#5217 Postby cycloneye » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:53 pm

A more west based El Nino coming or eventually that new warm pool at subsurface warms also the eastern equatorial Pacific and make it Traditional?

0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#5218 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:32 pm

^Niño 1+2 is rapidly warming currently.
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5219 Postby Ntxw » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:24 am

Little change this week from all ENSO regions, 3.4 remains at 0.5C. Will be official at the update here soon.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#5220 Postby cycloneye » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:35 am

Here is the CPC update of 9/22/14 that has no change to Nino 3.4 as it remains at +0.5C.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/a ... ts-web.pdf
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”