ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ENSO Updates: New warm pool moving east

#5161 Postby NDG » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:55 am

euro6208 wrote:http://i59.tinypic.com/335a42s.gif

In this latest update shows increasing risk for el nino before next year?

2 year el nino :eek:

The last thing you want to do is go by the Euro's Enso long range forecast. If the Euro would been correct back in April we would had been dealing a Super Strong El Nino by now, lol.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO: CPC 8/25/14=Nino 3.4 up to +0.3C

#5162 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:45 am

Climate Prediction Center update of 8/25/14 has Nino 3.4 up to +0.3C and that is way up from the 0.0C of last week.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/a ... ts-web.pdf
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5163 Postby Ntxw » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:29 am

I knew it was going to warm but wasn't expecting more than 0.1+-. Surprising
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#5164 Postby WeatherGuesser » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:42 am

No idea what that means.
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#5165 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:33 am

:uarrow:
Me neither. Nino may come sooner? Does the atmosphere need to teleconnect with the warming to be more Nino-efficient?
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#5166 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:33 pm

Ntxw wrote:Been awhile since an update. After spending July below 0C the upper ocean heat anoms are rising back to values needed for any kind of El Nino (new pool). SOI has finally linked and looks mostly negative for quite some time. Still waiting for Nino 3.4 to respond.

You think Nino 3.4 is finally responding after this weeks update?
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#5167 Postby somethingfunny » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:44 pm

I'm glad to see this El Nino forecast is trending towards verification.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Re:

#5168 Postby Ntxw » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:46 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Been awhile since an update. After spending July below 0C the upper ocean heat anoms are rising back to values needed for any kind of El Nino (new pool). SOI has finally linked and looks mostly negative for quite some time. Still waiting for Nino 3.4 to respond.

You think Nino 3.4 is finally responding after this weeks update?

Probably, sea surface heights are rising in the 3.4 region. Usually wherever heights rises is where you see the most warming to follow. Opposite for lower heights.

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5169 Postby Ntxw » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:12 pm

The noisy SOI has been negative most of August except for the first two days. Maybe Larry can pitch in some data for Aug correlation to ENSO and what Sept may show.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ENSO Updates

#5170 Postby Hammy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:52 pm

The SOI has now been consistently negative (without any sharp rising trends) longer than it has now since well before the busted 2012 El Nino--could this be a strong indicator that we're now trending towards the actual event at this point?
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: ENSO Updates

#5171 Postby Ntxw » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:58 pm

Quick update on ENSO, due to holiday there's no official update from CPC. But the weekly nino indexes still do which shows 0.4C at nino 3.4, probably will end up so tomorrow.

Subsurface looks decent, OHC is above Nino threshold again, sea surface heights, and SOI (August should come in around -10 officially) all are trending well. What happens the next few months can also give hints to 2015, the stronger the Nino the better the odds are of a greater Nina. Weaker Nino's are mixed some go to weak Nina's some stay neutral, some even go to another Nino. But the big Nino's more times than not go to Ninas.

For a very active 2015 Atlantic season, in theory, would be looking for a moderate/strong Nino that overturns into Nina. Seasons like these often are big ACE producers like in 1995, 1998, and 2010
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO: CPC 9/2/14: Nino 3.4 up to +0.4C

#5172 Postby cycloneye » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:21 am

The Climate Prediction Center update of 9/2/14 has Nino 3.4 warming up to +0.4C.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/a ... ts-web.pdf
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: CPC 9/2/14: Nino 3.4 up to +0.4C/SOI at El Nino threshold

#5173 Postby cycloneye » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:00 pm

30 day SOI continues well in the negative phase and in fact is crashing at this time. This is one factor that favors El Nino coming soon..Let's see how things evolve in the next 1-3 months as that new warm pool looks solid.

0 likes   

asd123
Category 1
Category 1

Re: CPC 9/2/14: Nino 3.4 up to +0.4C/SOI at El Nino threshold

#5174 Postby asd123 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:18 pm

cycloneye wrote:30 day SOI continues well in the negative phase and in fact is crashing at this time. This is one factor that favors El Nino coming soon..Let's see how things evolve in the next 1-3 months as that new warm pool looks solid.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2la9bpg.jpg

Yeah, el nino seems to be materializing like you hinted, consistently low soi, warm pool strengthening and surfacing (double warm pool in fact), and possibly other indices I'm not aware of.
0 likes   
This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5175 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:16 am

How's the IOD?
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#5176 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:12 am

It would take time for me to post the pic. :oops: So it will be in a post instead

Umm,I have recently noticed that in the TAO buoys, the former or old warm pool seems to be bursting or getting larger alongside the newly formed and expanding warm pool. So, could the El Niño develop faster as the pools surface but at the same time expand???
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#5177 Postby WeatherGuesser » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:38 am

Sooooo, Winter ..... warmer? less cold? no effect?
0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ENSO: SOI at El Nino threshold / New warm pool expands

#5178 Postby euro6208 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:53 am

Latest and impressive expanding warming moving east...
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

SeGaBob

#5179 Postby SeGaBob » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:33 pm

I'm really hoping this el nino will favor better chances of snow in the Southeastern US... I've only seen snow once in my life and that was 2010. (I've seen plenty of ice storms though)
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO: SOI at El Nino threshold / New warm pool expands

#5180 Postby cycloneye » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:09 pm

Climate Prediction Center September update / El Nino chance at 60%-65% by Fall thru Winter / Weak El Nino expected

If that new warm pool grows close to the last one,El Nino may grow to Moderate IMO.

Synopsis: The chance of El Niño is at 60-65% during the Northern Hemisphere fall and winter.

During August 2014, above-average sea surface temperatures (SST) continued across much of the equatorial Pacific (Fig. 1). Most of the Niño indices warmed during the month with values of +0.5oC in Niño-4, +0.4oC in Niño-3.4, +0.4oC in Niño-3, and +0.8oC in Niño-1+2 (Fig. 2). Subsurface heat content anomalies (averaged between 180o-100oW) also increased during the month (Fig. 3) as above-average subsurface temperatures developed across the central and east-central equatorial Pacific (Fig. 4). This warming is associated with the downwelling phase of an equatorial oceanic Kelvin wave triggered in July by low-level westerly wind anomalies. Westerly wind anomalies continued in the central and eastern part of the basin early in August, but weakened by the end of the month. Enhanced easterly upper-level wind anomalies have prevailed during much of the month, and the Southern Oscillation Index has been negative. However, convective cloudiness remained generally near average over most of the region, except for below average cloudiness observed across the central and western Pacific (Fig. 5). The lack of a coherent atmospheric El Niño pattern and near-average SSTs in the central Pacific indicate a continuation of ENSO-neutral.

Most of the models continue to predict El Niño to develop during September-November and to continue into early 2015 (Fig. 6). A majority of models and the multi-model averages favor a weak El Niño. At this time, the consensus of forecasters expects El Niño to emerge during September-October and to peak at weak strength during the late fall and early winter (3-month values of the Niño-3.4 index between 0.5oC and 0.9oC). The chance of El Niño is at 60-65% during the Northern Hemisphere fall and winter (click CPC/IRI consensus forecast for the chance of each outcome).

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/a ... odisc.html

0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”