ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: ENSO Updates

#5141 Postby Ntxw » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:43 pm

Yellow Evan wrote:What would you expect Nino 3.4 to look like at next week's update?

3.4 has been stubborn. I don't think it's going to deviate much, anything within -0.1C to 0.1C
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#5142 Postby dexterlabio » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:34 pm

Also being stubborn is the MJO lurking over the Western Indian Ocean without any progression. The current position of this active phase favors cooling of waters over the Pacific, isn't it?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5143 Postby Yellow Evan » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:01 pm

http://www.climate.gov/news-features/bl ... qQ.twitter

Nice read about why we should still get an El Nino.
0 likes   

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#5144 Postby JDawg512 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:18 am

El Nino weekly update from StormSurf. As I stated before very informative.

http://youtu.be/wD43vq9i5Lw
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5145 Postby Ntxw » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:29 am

Not much change to report today from the weekly indices. 3.4 unchanged at 0C. Other regions remain mostly the same or a small bump.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO: CPC 8/18/14=Nino 3.4 unchanged at 0.0C

#5146 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:40 am

Text of the CPC weekly update that has Nino 3.4 unchanged at 0.0C.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/a ... ts-web.pdf
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5147 Postby Ntxw » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:11 pm

3-4C is now showing up in the intensifying warm pool under the central Pacific. SOI seems to be coupling with August likely reaching Nino threshold for 30 day once done.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO: CPC 8/18/14=Nino 3.4 unchanged at 0.0C

#5148 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:13 pm

The sub-surface waters are warming again as the new warm pool located in the WestCentral Pacific expands to the east. This may be the real trigger for El Nino to get going in the coming 2-3 months. Saved loop.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#5149 Postby Hammy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:22 pm

It looks like there is still a pool of cooler water in front of the warm pool, so would it be correct to assume surface waters may cool another degree or two before the real warming begins?
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5150 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:20 pm

That new warm pool is interesting no doubt; looks to be just in time for fall. Who knows.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#5151 Postby Ntxw » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:50 pm

Hammy wrote:It looks like there is still a pool of cooler water in front of the warm pool, so would it be correct to assume surface waters may cool another degree or two before the real warming begins?

I think it has already cooled about as much as it can go, at least that's what most models have shown short term. Weak westerlies anomalies in the eastern side of the Pacific should prevent any significant cooling at the surface for awhile.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#5152 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:57 am

I think a moderate El Niño would occur early NEXT year. I guess CFSv2 is too bullish and biased on rapid warming. The next warm pool is already here, and it is growing and warming fairly rapidly due to the downwelling phase of the KW; but I am not looking for a rapid warming within the next 2 months due to the trades near normal and insufficient WWB despite the activity. Although, the SOI has been consistently negative for more than a month, and may bear similarities with March-April that it went down during the downwelling except that currently it is more sustained that the latter. Maybe some gradual warming, then if more signals come-that is the right time for rapid warming.

And one thing, if there were to be already an El Niño, could this El Niño end much later than initially predicted?
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#5153 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:59 am

On a side note, that warm pool looks impressive.
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO Updates: New warm pool moving east

#5154 Postby cycloneye » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:01 pm

The 30 day SOI is right now at El Nino threshold below -8. Is a good sign for El Nino coming to have this in negative for the past month.

0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#5155 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:43 pm

Negative for more than one month, and SOI has been steadily and consistently negative which is different from the SOI tanking last March.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5156 Postby Ntxw » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:00 pm

Been awhile since an update. After spending July below 0C the upper ocean heat anoms are rising back to values needed for any kind of El Nino (new pool). SOI has finally linked and looks mostly negative for quite some time. Still waiting for Nino 3.4 to respond.

0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5157 Postby Yellow Evan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:20 pm

Based on Levi's site, Nino regions appear to be slowly warming.
0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#5158 Postby euro6208 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:01 am

In this latest update shows increasing risk for el nino before next year?

2 year el nino :eek:
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#5159 Postby Ptarmigan » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:27 am

euro6208 wrote:Image

In this latest update shows increasing risk for el nino before next year?

2 year el nino :eek:

A multi-year El Nino would be a rarity, but not unheard of.
0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#5160 Postby euro6208 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:08 am

Damn that warm pool sure is fast...It's already in nino 1.2!
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”