ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ENSO Updates

#10821 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:00 pm

NotSparta wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:
Yeah the GFS backed way off of the WWB. Mostly had it because of twin TCs which it doesn't show anymore. However, looks like that region will have relaxed trades. East of the dateline, trades remain strong, reinforcing Modoki signature

Massive spread between the models in regards to the MJO so its tough to know if there will be a WWB or not. The Euro and GFS forecast erratic movement of the MJO showing it retrograding while the CFS shows progression into phase 6 and 7. Just have to wait and see.

I'll lean on GFS/ECMWF. It's been difficult to trust the CFS, and it doesn't help it's got known biases that'll move things that way

There's a large difference between the GFS and Euro as well. GFS is closer to the CFS than it is to the Euro.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ENSO: CPC Weekly update: Niño 3.4 down to +0.7C

#10822 Postby floridasun78 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:14 pm

so we going have neutral during hurr season ?
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10823 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:13 pm

cycloneye wrote:https://twitter.com/cyclonicwx/status/1140616529345748993

Yeah looks really weird. Kudos to the CFS for sniffing out this prolonged EWB a month in advance.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#10824 Postby dexterlabio » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:05 pm

Someone commented about the WPAC being unusually quiet in spite of the El Nino (but I couldn't find the post anymore).

I did some research on this (which I already posted on the 2019 WPAC Season thread) and I listed those years with consecutive mild El Nino events since 1965: 1968-1969, 1976-1977, and 1986-1987. In those pairs, the second year with weak El Nino had less active WPAC season than the year preceding it. In fact, 1969 and 1977 are among the least active WPAC seasons since record-keeping began.

Given that 2019 is shaping up to be a continuation of last year's weak El Nino, there could be a possibility that the WPAC season this year will be less active than 2018, if not a below average season in general.
6 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10825 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:03 pm

dexterlabio wrote:Someone commented about the WPAC being unusually quiet in spite of the El Nino (but I couldn't find the post anymore).

I did some research on this (which I already posted on the 2019 WPAC Season thread) and I listed those years with consecutive mild El Nino events since 1965: 1968-1969, 1976-1977, and 1986-1987. In those pairs, the second year with weak El Nino had less active WPAC season than the year preceding it. In fact, 1969 and 1977 are among the least active WPAC seasons since record-keeping began.

Given that 2019 is shaping up to be a continuation of last year's weak El Nino, there could be a possibility that the WPAC season this year will be less active than 2018, if not a below average season in general.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Is it the same for the EPAC?
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#10826 Postby dexterlabio » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:30 pm

Kingarabian wrote:Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Is it the same for the EPAC?

Whoa I just did a quick reading and sure this is interesting, 1969 and 1977 are also among the least active EPAC seasons. But the 1987 EPAC season is pretty much average, just like in WPAC. (EDITED: 1987 is in fact more active than 1986 in EPAC so this "theory" doesn't hold true for this pair)
Last edited by dexterlabio on Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Chris90
Category 2
Category 2

#10827 Postby Chris90 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:32 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
dexterlabio wrote:Someone commented about the WPAC being unusually quiet in spite of the El Nino (but I couldn't find the post anymore).

Some quick research:
1968 was more active than 1969 in the EPAC, but I'm not fully trusting of those stats that far back for this basin, but we'll assume that the data is decently reliable and say yes, 1969 was less active than the year before.

1976: 15/9/5
1977: 8/4/0

So 1977 was quite a bit less active than '76.

1986: 17/9/3
1987: 20/10/4

1987 ended up being more active than '86, so this doesn't hold true for all those pairs.

It'll be interesting to see how the WPAC and the EPAC end up this year.
3 likes   
Solar Aquarian
Lunar Cancerian
:uarrow: Sagittarian

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#10828 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:34 am

Just throwing this out there, things can turn on a dime, but despite the mjo movement the past few months has been lacking ACE globally. In short maybe all basins will end up below average. One of "those" years where the Earth just doesn't produce.

Again not saying that will happen but food for thought.

Daily soi is neg again
6 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#10829 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:25 am

Ntxw wrote:Just throwing this out there, things can turn on a dime, but despite the mjo movement the past few months has been lacking ACE globally. In short maybe all basins will end up below average. One of "those" years where the Earth just doesn't produce.

Daily soi is neg again

So we could see another 2013 in terms of activity even for the Atlantic?
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10830 Postby NotSparta » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:47 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Just throwing this out there, things can turn on a dime, but despite the mjo movement the past few months has been lacking ACE globally. In short maybe all basins will end up below average. One of "those" years where the Earth just doesn't produce.

Daily soi is neg again

I think that yr the Atlantic suffered from worldwide inactivity and intrabasin problems which made for even less activity

Also, I'm not saying this'll happen, but didn't 2017 start the same way too?
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#10831 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:50 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:

Daily soi is neg again

2013 is an anomaly likely a global shift (AO/NAO and EPO/PDO) that threw a curveball. Despite June not being a busy month for any basin really, just food for thought. MJO has a tendency to spur activity, but if it doesn't consistently then just got to think about it.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10832 Postby Yellow Evan » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:55 pm

Chris90 wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:

Some quick research:
1968 was more active than 1969 in the EPAC, but I'm not fully trusting of those stats that far back for this basin, but we'll assume that the data is decently reliable and say yes, 1969 was less active than the year before.

1976: 15/9/5
1977: 8/4/0

So 1977 was quite a bit less active than '76.

1986: 17/9/3
1987: 20/10/4

1987 ended up being more active than '86, so this doesn't hold true for all those pairs.

It'll be interesting to see how the WPAC and the EPAC end up this year.

Worth noting that 1987 was a stronger 2nd year Nino than 1969 and 1977 IIRC.
3 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10833 Postby Kingarabian » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:00 pm

Ntxw wrote:Daily soi is neg again

Kingarabian wrote:12z Euro run today shows daily SOI contributions fluctuating between weakly negative/positive for the next couple of days, before tanking the SOI considerably from June 17/18.

The Euro's SOI forecast has verified the past week. Todays 12z Euro run shows that for the next 9 days the daily SOI values will be pretty negative.
2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10834 Postby NotSparta » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:44 pm

Kingarabian wrote:

Kingarabian wrote:12z Euro run today shows daily SOI contributions fluctuating between weakly negative/positive for the next couple of days, before tanking the SOI considerably from June 17/18.

The Euro's SOI forecast has verified the past week. Todays 12z Euro run shows that for the next 9 days the daily SOI values will be pretty negative.

Weird pattern. -SOI, yet no WWB. Just like how there's the strong rising air near the dateline region, but most of that is due to strong easterlies in the east meeting modestly weak trades to the west
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10835 Postby Kingarabian » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:49 pm

NotSparta wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:

Weird pattern. -SOI, yet no WWB. Just like how there's the strong rising air near the dateline region, but most of that is due to strong easterlies in the east meeting modestly weak trades to the west

Yeah very strange. Especially considering how strong the suppressed phase of the MJO over the Pacific has been and the amount of sinking motion that was present. Maybe we get a delayed WWB? Currently the GFS850mb wind forecast shows relaxed trades west of the dateline and east of 120W.

I could be wrong but I don't think you get this returning rising air branch simply by having east winds meet west winds. Sure you get a ton of convergence that helps strong convection develop/TC's spin up. I think rising air is reflected off wherever SST's are the warmest, which happens to be near the dateline, and pretty much why the CPAC/EPAC have so much rising air during an El Nino and very little of it during a La Nina. And of course we see an increase of rising air due to MJO and CCKW activity, but it's usually transient as we see the -VP200 anomalies leave the IO.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10836 Postby Kingarabian » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:04 pm

I think the Euro has some issues with its MJO forecast, showing considerable differences between it and the GFS and CFS. It has had to correct to the latter's solutions.

But still different vs the GFS, CFS, and even the ECMM which uses a different climo period:
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10837 Postby NotSparta » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:11 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:[/b]

Yeah very strange. Especially considering how strong the suppressed phase of the MJO over the Pacific has been and the amount of sinking motion that was present. Maybe we get a delayed WWB? Currently the GFS850mb wind forecast shows relaxed trades west of the dateline and east of 120W.

I could be wrong but I don't think you get this returning rising air branch simply by having east winds meet west winds. Sure you get a ton of convergence that helps strong convection develop/TC's spin up. I think rising air is reflected off wherever SST's are the warmest, which happens to be near the dateline, and pretty much why the CPAC/EPAC have so much rising air during an El Nino and very little of it during a La Nina. And of course we see an increase of rising air due to MJO and CCKW activity, but it's usually transient as we see the -VP200 anomalies leave the IO.

I thought the suppressed MJO had already left the Pacific?

Yes, but the east wind meeting west meaning llvl convergence, which leads to the rising air. Also, that is true, but only thru the SSTAs changing the wind pattern to favor rising/sinking air.
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10838 Postby Kingarabian » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:00 pm

NotSparta wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:

Yes, but the east wind meeting west meaning llvl convergence, which leads to the rising air. Also, that is true, but only thru the SSTAs changing the wind pattern to favor rising/sinking air.

Simply looking at the CHI200 on the GFS and Euro, the models still show sinking motion left over the EPAC. But in regards to the SOI, the SOI technically lags a bit and the positive daily's should've been much more and prolonged with the MJO now over the MC.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10839 Postby NotSparta » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:51 am

Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:Yeah very strange. Especially considering how strong the suppressed phase of the MJO over the Pacific has been and the amount of sinking motion that was present. Maybe we get a delayed WWB? Currently the GFS850mb wind forecast shows relaxed trades west of the dateline and east of 120W.

Simply looking at the CHI200 on the GFS and Euro, the models still show sinking motion left over the EPAC. But in regards to the SOI, the SOI technically lags a bit and the positive daily's should've been much more and prolonged with the MJO now over the MC.

Yeah SOI is really noisy so it might not reflect what you think it will
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#10840 Postby Ntxw » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:02 am

NotSparta wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:

Yeah SOI is really noisy so it might not reflect what you think it will

While it is true the SOI is noisy, especially the daily, it can give you some hints if taken in context over longer periods and trends. It's not useless per say. If the negatives continue to weigh heavily against positives (when forecast says otherwise) there is a disconnect which means one should re-evaluate if the totality of the atmosphere is cooperating with the surface winds and/or SSTA. About 1-2 months ago many were ready to write off the Nino, but the long term SOI told us to hold up and hold steady.
3 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”