ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: ENSO Updates

#9201 Postby NotSparta » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:05 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
Alyono wrote:This is looking like a rare setup where things could be favorable for both the Atlantic and for storms near Hawaii

Recon may be quite busy this year. May see something similar to 2016 where Hermine didn't get the normal coverage because there were far more important things to fly

The SST configuration looks anything but favorable for the Atlantic. Cooler than average SST’s in both the far north and off Africa in the MDR doesn’t scream favorable to me.

What’s your thoughts?

Seems to be mostly seasonal, usually comes down this time of year.

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/987292976970952704

1 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9202 Postby Alyono » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:39 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
Alyono wrote:This is looking like a rare setup where things could be favorable for both the Atlantic and for storms near Hawaii

Recon may be quite busy this year. May see something similar to 2016 where Hermine didn't get the normal coverage because there were far more important things to fly

The SST configuration looks anything but favorable for the Atlantic. Cooler than average SST’s in both the far north and off Africa in the MDR doesn’t scream favorable to me.

What’s your thoughts?

That the trend has been gradually increasing to the mean in the western tropical atlantic
1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#9203 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:48 am

Alyono wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:

What’s your thoughts?

That the trend has been gradually increasing to the mean in the western tropical atlantic

Are you saying a west-based season similar to the tracks of the storms of 2005?
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9204 Postby Alyono » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:43 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
Alyono wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:The SST configuration looks anything but favorable for the Atlantic. Cooler than average SST’s in both the far north and off Africa in the MDR doesn’t scream favorable to me.

What’s your thoughts?

Are you saying a west-based season similar to the tracks of the storms of 2005?

I would favor a west based season. East gulf may have above average risk due to possible troughing near east coast
Last edited by tolakram on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quotes
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9205 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:47 pm

NDG wrote:Those cooler surface waters over Nino 1+2 are making their way westward, now over Nino 3
Those -0.8 C are still lingering.
Also notice that the easterly trades are still pretty strong across the eastern Pacific, this could cancel the warmer than average subsurface waters as they reach the surface.

Doubt its the cool waters beneath Nino 1+2 moving west.There's still a small confined area of cool anomalies up to -1C extending down to about 50meters right under Nino 3. As we saw in 2017, these small pools just beneath the surface can be misleading when wind activity is neutral and there's no dominant easterlies or westerlies. Last year a small confined area of +1C under Nino 3.4 kept the ONI near El Nino levels until late July. Wasn't until we had a real trade burst event did the cooler sub surface pool that was down at 100 meters took over and started the La Nina.
Last edited by Kingarabian on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9206 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:51 pm

Also wanted to point out that last night's 00z Euro run re-affirmed the Euro's recent run as it continues to show a negative SOI setup for the next week. Something to keep an eye on as we get into May. The months of May and June make or break El Nino events historically speaking.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9207 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:11 pm

2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#9208 Postby CyclonicFury » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:26 pm

The Kelvin Wave cannot be ignored, but with trades that strong east of the dateline, the subsurface warm pool may significantly weaken as it reaches the eastern Pacific. There are no signs of a strong WWB in the immediate future and the westerly anomalies, though present, are weak and possibly too far west to mean much. Just my opinion.
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#9209 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:13 pm

If the setup sticks we could have an El Niño peak season but wit trades to near the date line it would probably end up being madoki as it seems some cool anomalies are popping up between 90w to 130w but west of there could very well be an El Niño which could lead to a nasty hurricane season for both the CPAC and the Atlantic
1 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9210 Postby NotSparta » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:30 pm

Kingarabian wrote:Also wanted to point out that last night's 00z Euro run re-affirmed the Euro's recent run as it continues to show a negative SOI setup for the next week. Something to keep an eye on as we get into May. The months of May and June make or break El Nino events historically speaking.

It's not certain though, there are a few years where there was negative SOI for May and June that have busted
2 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9211 Postby NDG » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:19 pm

Nino 4 has continued to warm but Nino 3 has cooled down some, so my estimate that Nino 3.4 has remained steady for this week.

Also notice the steady easterly cooling trade winds have not let up from Nino 3.4 on eastward.

1 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9212 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:31 pm

NotSparta wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:Also wanted to point out that last night's 00z Euro run re-affirmed the Euro's recent run as it continues to show a negative SOI setup for the next week. Something to keep an eye on as we get into May. The months of May and June make or break El Nino events historically speaking.

It's not certain though, there are a few years where there was negative SOI for May and June that have busted

Sorry, I should've added *In* El Nino candidate years.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9213 Postby NotSparta » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:43 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:

Those too, like 2017 and 2012
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9214 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:55 pm

NotSparta wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:

2012 is an anomaly, that year was weird. In 2017, May was a positive SOI. These two years have something in common in that both did not see repeated significant down welling Kelvin waves. The Ocean is an important component in ENSO.

So IMO, the months of May and June are more than likely to dictate the status of ENSO.
Last edited by Kingarabian on Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9215 Postby NotSparta » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:04 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:

2012 is an anomaly, that year was weird.

2017, May was a positive SOI.

It was more neutral, but June was very negative
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9216 Postby Ntxw » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:35 pm

2012 was amidst a very -PDO. The north Pacific in the EPAC was essentially opposite of what it is now.

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9217 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:57 am

I know theres a lot of debate on whether the trade winds are going to allow for an El Nino or not.
So If we compare the zonal winds from 2006 and 2009 with 2018, we can see quite clearly that 2018 so far has been keeping up.

2006 Jan-May:

2009 Jan-May:

2018 Jan-April

The westerly anomalies have been much stronger in the western Pacific but a bit weaker in the central/eastern pacific compared to 2006 and 2009, though at the same time, 2018 has only seen near average trade wind strengths compared to 2006 and 2009. Stronger westerly wind bursts in the WPAC means stronger downwelling Kelvin waves and potentially stronger El Nino events. You can see the difference of having strong WWBs in the WPAC vs weaker here:

2006 Jan-May:

2009 Jan-May:

2018 Jan-April
2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9218 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:21 pm

https://twitter.com/webberweather/status/988153671358787584

Also at the same time the latest Euro run for the next 9 days would bring down the April 30 day SOI average from +8.5 to +3.0.
4 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9219 Postby NDG » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:46 am

To my surprise it looks like that in this week's update Nino 3.4 is going up to -0.3C
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#9220 Postby cycloneye » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:26 am

I dont know if is here in PR only but i can't open the CPC site.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”