ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ENSO Updates

#9381 Postby Kingarabian » Thu May 17, 2018 6:04 pm

Ntxw wrote:Eyeballing the buoys the values are now warm neutral in the weeklies. The below normal anomalies are mostly confined below the equator and has been warming since the beginning of May.

[img]https://images2.imgbox.com/b1/b1/UW7VC8JW_o.jpg[mg]

[img]https://images2.imgbox.com/21/37/a07IwBd9_o.jpg[mg]

Yeah and there's +1C anomalies beginning to surface under Nino 3 and 1+2.

2009 had more warm east than to the west compared to 2018. But so far 2018 has been keeping up.

0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9382 Postby NDG » Fri May 18, 2018 6:21 am

2 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9383 Postby Kingarabian » Fri May 18, 2018 9:48 am

:uarrow:

Bulk of the deep Easterly anomalies are entered west of the dateline. Looks like until 25th the westerly anomalies will continue to dominate in the Eastern Pacific.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9384 Postby NotSparta » Fri May 18, 2018 9:49 am

Kingarabian wrote::uarrow:

Bulk of the deep Easterly anomalies are entered west of the dateline. Looks like until 25th the westerly anomalies will continue to dominate in the Eastern Pacific.

That's not going to be good for the Bejerknes feedback
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9385 Postby Ntxw » Fri May 18, 2018 9:52 am

As posted above, 1C+ anomalies is lurking very thinly below the surface from about 130W on eastward.

The EWB near the dateline has done little to cool the central Pacific. SSHA continues to rise out that way as well as overall OHC rising again. To be fair the greatest trades are yet to come here in the coming days over the DL. Lets see if it effects the warm pool below.

2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9386 Postby Kingarabian » Fri May 18, 2018 9:57 am

NotSparta wrote:

We're going to need more than just this trade burst to disrupt the progress already made. And it's not abnormal to see occasional trade bursts in El Nino events.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#9387 Postby tolakram » Fri May 18, 2018 10:09 am

Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:

We're going to need more than just this trade burst to disrupt the progress already made. And it's not abnormal to see occasional trade bursts in El Nino events.

We were here last year, almost the same types of calls. :) Not picking on you, just noting that at this point is seems the atmosphere is not fully coupled and we have trade bursts predicted. There's a lot of warm water out there but El Nino looked like a pretty safe bet this time last year.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=92137&start=7860#p2579878

More cool on that map than this year, does it mean anything? I still feel like we're 15 or so days away from the Aha! moment.

My bias is simple, I don't think we have a clue yet.
2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#9388 Postby cycloneye » Fri May 18, 2018 10:28 am

Bingo!! tolakram "I don't think we have a clue yet"
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#9389 Postby dexterlabio » Fri May 18, 2018 10:28 am

El Nino is not the only card in the deck and many people here could always argue against its possibility of showing up in any year. Even in 2014/2015 when there were monster indicators of a brewing super EN, some people chose to downplay it. A lot of things can still happen in the near term, but IMO it will be wise to pay attention to what the indicators are telling us, I mean they are not called "indicators" for nothing. :lol:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9390 Postby NotSparta » Fri May 18, 2018 10:30 am

tolakram wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:

We were here last year, almost the same types of calls. :) Not picking on you, just noting that at this point is seems the atmosphere is not fully coupled and we have trade bursts predicted. There's a lot of warm water out there but El Nino looked like a pretty safe bet this time last year.

More cool on that map than this year, does it mean anything? I still feel like we're 15 or so days away from the Aha! moment.

I hope the SPB doesn't go into July like last year.
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#9391 Postby CyclonicFury » Fri May 18, 2018 10:35 am

I'm thinking a weak El Niño at most, and at the earliest, the fall. The atmosphere does not seem to be fully coupled with El Niño. The warmest anomalies in the subsurface have barely moved in the last two months. There hasn’t been any major WWBs since March. The SOI has not fallen to a consistent string of strong negatives like it typically does before an El Niño. The latest average across all models has a +0.4C for ASO.
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9392 Postby Ntxw » Fri May 18, 2018 10:35 am

dexterlabio wrote:El Nino is not the only card in the deck and many people here could always argue against its possibility of showing up in any year. Even in 2014/2015 when there were monster indicators of a brewing super EN, some people chose to downplay it. A lot of things can still happen in the near term, but IMO it will be wise to pay attention to what the indicators are telling us, I mean they are not called "indicators" for nothing. :lol:

More importantly it's good to look at the foundation pieces, primarily below the surface alongside the wind stress. Last year the foundation wasn't there, and some (myself included) thought the surface wind stress would eek out something against the historical odds that many of us made note was against an El Nino. I have learned over the years, long term sustainability for ENSO is below the surface. The wind stress tells you short term changes.

This year is a bit different, the foundation pieces is some better and the statistical odds are also better. Doesn't mean we get there but it's an attempt!

2017 below the surface

3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9393 Postby Kingarabian » Fri May 18, 2018 2:35 pm

tolakram wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:

I respectfully disagree when it comes to the status of the indicators now vs. 2017.

There has been a much stronger ocean response:
We've had three moderate-strong downwelling Kelvin waves this year at this time compared to only one moderate downwelling Kelvin wave in 2017.

There has been a much stronger atmosphere response:
1. The MJO has spent most of its time in the "El Nino phases" and also amplifying the most in these phases (hence why we've had three downwelling Kelvin waves since January).
2. We've seen numerous potent WWB events since February. I believe there was only one significant WWB in all of 2017.

The PMM has been historically positive. +PMM favors El Nino's. Also for all its warmth over the Nino regions, the Pacific SST configuration we had last year in fact did not favor an El Nino compared to the way the current SST configuration does. The last piece of the puzzle is the SOI. In the majority of El Nino events, the month of May came in negative. So far it's on track to do so.

But your bias is completely fine and it is the safest route, and we have the luxury to go with our hunch. But I believe for professional forecasters who have to make a decision, they look at specific indicators noted above.
5 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#9394 Postby cycloneye » Fri May 18, 2018 4:10 pm

The plume of ENSO models from Mid-May has the ASO consensus number at +0.4C.

2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9395 Postby Kingarabian » Fri May 18, 2018 4:21 pm

:uarrow: Would probably show +0.5C or greater if it had the correct current Nino 3.4 values.

Even the CFS is making forecasts off a lower Nino 3.4 reading:

2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#9396 Postby tolakram » Fri May 18, 2018 8:06 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
I respectfully disagree when it comes to the status of the indicators now vs. 2017.

There has been a much stronger ocean response:
We've had three moderate-strong downwelling Kelvin waves this year at this time compared to only one moderate downwelling Kelvin wave in 2017.

There has been a much stronger atmosphere response:
1. The MJO has spent most of its time in the "El Nino phases" and also amplifying the most in these phases (hence why we've had three downwelling Kelvin waves since January).
2. We've seen numerous potent WWB events since February. I believe there was only one significant WWB in all of 2017.
[i mg]https://i.imgur.com/ckTtaKc.png[/img]

The PMM has been historically positive. +PMM favors El Nino's. Also for all its warmth over the Nino regions, the Pacific SST configuration we had last year in fact did not favor an El Nino compared to the way the current SST configuration does. The last piece of the puzzle is the SOI. In the majority of El Nino events, the month of May came in negative. So far it's on track to do so.

But your bias is completely fine and it is the safest route, and we have the luxury to go with our hunch. But I believe for professional forecasters who have to make a decision, they look at specific indicators noted above.

Not arguing here, just presenting some ideas to back up why I think we are clueless. :)

Last year we were, unknowingly at the time, dipping down to almost a moderate la nina.

So yes, nothing looks like last year and I don't think any of us are expecting a repeat of what happened. I still see many respected meteorologists are saying the atmosphere is not very nino like which leads me to believe that we still don't know, other than maybe saying whatever we get won't be strong.
2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#9397 Postby tolakram » Fri May 18, 2018 8:48 pm

From Tropical Tidbits, here are the various CDAS graphs. Last year every region was dropping and Luis made his first of two posts showing the sudden dive.

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=92137&start=7900#p2580063

This year, um, not so much. :D
3 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9398 Postby NotSparta » Fri May 18, 2018 9:05 pm

:uarrow: I looked through more posts, and the upcoming trade pattern looks similar, with the stronger ones toward the dateline, and westerly anomalies near South America. Not saying we'll have another failed attempt, but it seems that the pattern isn't the most favorable for El Niño, especially since they tend to build west to east.
1 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9399 Postby Kingarabian » Fri May 18, 2018 9:31 pm

tolakram wrote:From Tropical Tidbits, here are the various CDAS graphs. Last year every region was dropping and Luis made his first of two posts showing the sudden dive.

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=92137&start=7900#p2580063

[img]https://i.imgur.com/PvfMJWu.png[img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/imWPXZK.png[img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/oaxntp6.png[img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/gRmlxcJ.png[img]

This year, um, not so much. :D

Yep, and I recall at the same time Luis and I were waiting for a oceanic Kelvin wave signal that never materialized.

We've had three downwelling Kelvin waves so far this at this time compared to only one last year:

2017 had 3 upwelling Kelvin waves which we should've paid attention to.
Last edited by Kingarabian on Fri May 18, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9400 Postby Kingarabian » Fri May 18, 2018 9:33 pm

NotSparta wrote::uarrow: I looked through more posts, and the upcoming trade pattern looks similar, with the stronger ones toward the dateline, and westerly anomalies near South America. Not saying we'll have another failed attempt, but it seems that the pattern isn't the most favorable for El Niño, especially since they tend to build west to east.

I know it sounds like I'm beating a dead horse here lol, but the zonal wind pattern this year is a lot more El Nino-esque than last year. I don't recall one large scale WWB over the Eq. Pacific after Feb.2017. Compare that to the CFS wind graphic I posted earlier today which has repeated WWB's.
3 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”