ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ENSO Updates

#7181 Postby chaser1 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:20 pm

NDG wrote:Big bust by the Euro in the short term, so what if the Euro is also going to bust over the next couple of months? The possibility is there, IMO.

That IS interesting. I wonder if one could draw much correlation between Euro's poor long range forecast with regard to this La Nina trend, and its own longer term Atlantic anomoly outlooks for SST's, pressures, etc)? For that matter (and I personally doubt it but...), is there any correlation to nearer term forecasts in that regions' EURO 1-10 day range that might also be in question?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#7182 Postby Ntxw » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:33 pm

chaser1 wrote:
NDG wrote:Big bust by the Euro in the short term, so what if the Euro is also going to bust over the next couple of months? The possibility is there, IMO.

That IS interesting. I wonder if one could draw much correlation between Euro's poor long range forecast with regard to this La Nina trend, and its own longer term Atlantic anomoly outlooks for SST's, pressures, etc)? For that matter (and I personally doubt it but...), is there any correlation to nearer term forecasts in that regions' EURO 1-10 day range that might also be in question?

The dynamical models tend to struggle most during weak to neutral ENSO events. For example 2012-2014 period. They do best during the stronger events.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7183 Postby chaser1 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:33 pm

:uarrow: I didn't know that?! All along I would've guess the opposite. I think that answers another question I had then. So I assume that the EURO's failure to nail down a 3 month ENSO forecast during a benign and neutral period, likely has little or nothing to do with its standard level of 10 day dynamic forecast accuracy.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#7184 Postby Dean_175 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:53 pm

chaser1 wrote::uarrow: I didn't know that?! All along I would've guess the opposite. I think that answers another question I had then. So I assume that the EURO's failure to nail down a 3 month ENSO forecast during a benign and neutral period, likely has little or nothing to do with its standard level of 10 day dynamic forecast accuracy.

When the ENSO signal is strong, there is more certainty as to how the atmosphere is going to behave in the long run. During a strong event,the atmosphere is going to remain largely consistent with what is occurring at the sea surface. Because of this, dynamical model simulations are more likely to resemble reality during a robust El Nino or La Nina. During a weak/failed event, models may pick up on the signal at the sea surface and predict that ocean-atmosphere coupling will result in a strengthening event; while there may not be an actual response in the atmosphere and further development. In 2012 and 2014, several models were predicting El Nino to develop- but in both cases, there were no changes in the easterlies to reinforce the existing SST anomalies.

As for the comparison between ENSO forecasts and the Euro's 10 day forecasts- I doubt that there is any relationship. Not only is ENSO a long term signal- not a weather pattern, but the model makes long-term ENSO forecasts in a different way than short term forecasts. The Euro does not simply extend its 10 day forecast into the long term to predict ENSO--it uses several parameterizations that filter out short term variability to make long term prediction possible. For example, the model will not predict seasonal precipitation anomalies in the ENSO regions by forecasting future individual weather patterns using short-term prediction methods--but will parameterize the net thunderstorm activity using factors such as sea surface temperatures, long term atmospheric variability (ie. MJO), etc.
2 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7185 Postby chaser1 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:45 pm

:uarrow: Thanks Dean, nice breakdown and explanation on the topic :D
0 likes   

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#7186 Postby weathaguyry » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:24 am

Interesting...

1 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#7187 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:07 am

-0.6C this week. Finally a weekly reading in Nina territory
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO: CPC update of 7/18/16: Nino 3.4 down to -0.6C

#7188 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:57 am

Text of CPC update that has Nino 3.4 down to -0.6C.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/analys ... ts-web.pdf
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

znel52
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#7189 Postby znel52 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:03 am

weathaguyry wrote:Interesting...

Wouldn't be surprised to see those temps shoot right back up to around neutral in the next couple of weeks because of these tropical instability waves traversing the equator. Temps have been going up and down like a roller coaster.
0 likes   
'96 Bertha/'96 Fran/'98 Bonnie/'99 Floyd/'03 Isabel/'04 Alex/'05 Ophelia/'11 Irene/'14 Arthur/'16 Matthew

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#7190 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:51 pm

Ntxw,the June PDO data has not been released yet. (Delay ongoing) Generally it comes out around the 15 of every month but this time nothing yet.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#7191 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:12 pm

I've been waiting for it too. NOAA has a PDO index which is 0.78 for June. We can probably adjust that up close to a point since the previous months were less than JISAO's reading so my guess is anywhere between 1 and 1.75 which continues the weakening trend but high for June and positive readings remain.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/teleconnections/pdo/
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7192 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:57 pm

PDO for June comes in @ + 2.03.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#7193 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:20 pm

Kingarabian wrote:PDO for June comes in @ + 2.03.

Thats higher than what I was expecting. Regardless it looks like July (we are only a week left) will be positive too overall. Even though there has been warming near the Aleutians, there has also been significant cooling near Japan and to the east.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#7194 Postby Ntxw » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:53 am

Trade surge coming to the central Pacific. This will help slosh the warm waters more to the WPAC than previous surges. Should help the Nina. Even the GFS sees it
1 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7195 Postby NDG » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:49 pm

La Nina is here, if not very soon, IMO.

1 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#7196 Postby LarryWx » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:25 am

I really have to wonder if the warm water surrounding the cold strip near the equator would have also been below normal (though not as cold as the strip near the equator) had the oceans, overall, not warmed as much as they appeared to have done in recent years. Perhaps the anomalies are not reflecting a warm enough normal? Does anyone else wonder about this?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#7197 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:22 pm

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#7198 Postby cycloneye » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:54 pm

1 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7199 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:56 pm

:uarrow:

That's surprising. Just as it seems that La Nina is about to take off.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

stormwise
Category 2
Category 2

#7200 Postby stormwise » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:54 am

0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”