ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Digital-TC-Chaser

Re: ENSO: CPC 12/4/17 update: Nino 3.4 down to -0.7C

#8721 Postby Digital-TC-Chaser » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:09 am

BOM has called it officially.
La Niña established in tropical Pacific
3 likes   

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ENSO Updates

#8722 Postby WeatherEmperor » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:56 am

The 12/11 update maintains Nino 3.4 at -0.8C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO: CPC December update: La Niña thru mid/late spring/Neutral after that.

#8723 Postby cycloneye » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:55 am

The monthly update by CPC of December has La Niña thru mid to late Spring and then Neutral after that.

EL NIÑO/SOUTHERN OSCILLATION (ENSO)
DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION
issued by
CLIMATE PREDICTION CENTER/NCEP/NWS
and the International Research Institute for Climate and Society
14 December 2017

ENSO Alert System Status: La Niña Advisory

Synopsis: La Niña is likely (exceeding ~80%) through the Northern Hemisphere winter 2017-18, with a transition to ENSO-neutral most likely during the mid-to-late spring.

La Niña strengthened during the past month, as indicated by an increasingly prominent pattern of below-average sea surface temperatures (SSTs) across the central and eastern equatorial Pacific Ocean [Fig. 1]. The latest weekly Niño-3.4 index value was -0.8°C, with the easternmost Niño-3 and Niño-1+2 indices at or below -1.0°C during much of the month [Fig. 2]. Sub-surface temperature anomalies weakened slightly during November, but remained significantly negative [Fig. 3] due to the anomalously shallow depth of the thermocline across the central and eastern Pacific [Fig. 4]. The atmospheric circulation over the tropical Pacific Ocean also reflected La Niña, with convection suppressed near the International Date Line and enhanced over Indonesia [Fig. 5]. The low-level trade winds were stronger than average over the western and central Pacific, with anomalous westerly winds at upper-levels. Overall, the ocean and atmosphere system reflects La Niña.

La Niña is predicted to persist through the Northern Hemisphere winter 2017-18 by nearly all models in the IRI/CPC plume [Fig. 6] and in the North American Multi-Model Ensemble (NMME; [Fig. 7]). Based on the latest observations and forecast guidance, forecasters favor the peak of a weak-to-moderate La Niña during the winter (3-month Niño-3.4 values between 0.5°C and 1.5°C). In summary, La Niña is likely (exceeding ~80%) through the Northern Hemisphere winter 2017-18, with a transition to ENSO-neutral most likely during the mid-to-late spring (click CPC/IRI consensus forecast for the chance of each outcome for each 3-month period).

La Niña is anticipated to affect temperature and precipitation across the United States during the upcoming months (the 3-month seasonal temperature and precipitation outlooks will be updated on Thursday December 21st). The outlooks generally favor above-average temperatures and below-median precipitation across the southern tier of the United States, and below-average temperatures and above-median precipitation across the northern tier of the United States.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/analys ... disc.shtml

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO: CPC December update: La Niña thru mid/late spring/Neutral after that

#8724 Postby cycloneye » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:56 pm

As always,the CPC ENSO blogs have interesting things about their reasoning behind their updates.

An excerpt below: :darrow: :darrow: :darrow: :darrow:

Our second La Niña year in a row is in full swing now, and is forecast to last through the winter. In November, the average surface water temperature in the Niño3.4 region of the central Pacific Ocean was about 1.0°C cooler than the long-term average. A “double-dip” La Niña is not uncommon—seven La Niña winters in the 1950-present historical record followed La Niña the previous winter: 1955, 1971, 1974, 1984, 1999, 2008, and 2011. In fact, two years, 1975 and 2000, were third-year La Niñas. Only four years, 1964, 1988, 1995, and 2005, were single-year La Niñas.

:darrow: :darrow: :darrow: :darrow: :darrow: :darrow: :darrow: :darrow: :darrow: :darrow: :darrow: :darrow: :darrow:

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/b ... ble-double

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO: CPC 12/18/17 update=Niño 3.4 at -0.8C

#8725 Postby cycloneye » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:05 pm

Niño 3.4 remains at -0.8C in this update on 12/18/17 by CPC.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/analys ... ts-web.pdf
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8726 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:56 pm

Cold pool vs Warm pool battle has begun:

Looks like it will again be a difficult task to predict ENSO for the upcoming hurricane season.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#8727 Postby Alyono » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:49 pm

Kingarabian wrote:Cold pool vs Warm pool battle has begun:

Looks like it will again be a difficult task to predict ENSO for the upcoming hurricane season.

I'd almost lean toward a niño. While we can be cold ENSO for 3 straight years, it does not usually occur. Plus, given the skill of the climate models to forecast the OPPOSITE of what is really going to happen this far in advance, the fact they are saying niña, makes me wonder if we will see a niño
4 likes   

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8728 Postby WeatherEmperor » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:58 am

Nino 3.4 dropped a little to -1.0C on the 12/26 CPC update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO: CPC 12/26/17 update: Niño 3.4 down to -1.0C

#8729 Postby cycloneye » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:44 am

The CPC update of 12/26/17 has Niño 3.4 going down from -0.8C of the past three weeks to -1.0C this week.

1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO: CPC 1/2/18 update: Niño 3.4 up to -0.6C

#8730 Postby cycloneye » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:38 am

The first CPC update of 2018 has Niño 3.4 going up from -1.0C last week to -0.6C on this week's update.

0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO: CPC 1/2/18 update: Niño 3.4 up to -0.6C

#8731 Postby cycloneye » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:46 pm

@carl_schreck
While everyone's watching the cold, big changes are afoot in the tropical circulation. #LaNina dry in the Pacific redeveloping and spreading westward. Also big change in the Walker Circulation with a shift in upper level wind anomalies in the eastern Pacific.

https://twitter.com/carl_schreck/status/948275559817187328

0 likes   

GeneratorPower
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8732 Postby GeneratorPower » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:05 pm

This La Nina looks to continue for a while at least. My guess is we stay Nina through most of next year with a blockbuster Atlantic hurricane season for 2018. The more I learn, the more I think ENSO is *the* dominating factor for all hurricane seasons. Sure, you can get an Andrew in an off-year. But for quality and quantity of storms, you need a cool neutral to La Nina. And you need ATL and PAC ocean temp patterns to cooperate so you don't get a million storms all recurving at 50W longitude.
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#8733 Postby Alyono » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:17 pm

GeneratorPower wrote:This La Nina looks to continue for a while at least. My guess is we stay Nina through most of next year with a blockbuster Atlantic hurricane season for 2018. The more I learn, the more I think ENSO is *the* dominating factor for all hurricane seasons. Sure, you can get an Andrew in an off-year. But for quality and quantity of storms, you need a cool neutral to La Nina. And you need ATL and PAC ocean temp patterns to cooperate so you don't get a million storms all recurving at 50W longitude.

1992 was a technical cool neutral. The EPAC MDR was simply well above average, similar to 1983.

I'd say its the EPAC MDR temps that are more important than ENSO
0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#8734 Postby euro6208 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:46 pm

I would love to go back and read this thread but 11 years of it? :lol: Maybe time to start a new thread and sticky this one to the new one?
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

Kalrany
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8735 Postby Kalrany » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:04 am

euro6208 wrote:I would love to go back and read this thread but 11 years of it? :lol: Maybe time to start a new thread and sticky this one to the new one?

Not a bad idea, but I think this thread is still smaller than some for individual hurricanes. What would really be helpful (and likely a bit of work) would be to tag the start of each year. Then people looking for trends would be spared guessing across the decade as a aggregate.
0 likes   
TOTAL NOVICE. The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
Lansing MI, Galveston TX, Madison WI, Houston TX, Newark DE

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#8736 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:45 pm

euro6208 wrote:I would love to go back and read this thread but 11 years of it? :lol: Maybe time to start a new thread and sticky this one to the new one?

I think is not needed a new ENSO thread as all what you need to know about what is going on is in the first post graphics that update daily and weekly.Also I post the CPC and BoM updates at the title of thread with the relevant headline.
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8737 Postby Ntxw » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:09 am

NCDC PDO rose a little bit for December. JISAO usually follows suit
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8738 Postby Ntxw » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:12 am

cycloneye wrote:

I think is not needed a new ENSO thread as all what you need to know about what is going on is in the first post graphics that update daily and weekly.Also I post the CPC and BoM updates at the title of thread with the relevant headline.

Luis,

I think hotlinking the ONI table from the CPC on the first page would be useful. That folks can just hop onto the first page to see what years provided what ENSO event.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#8739 Postby cycloneye » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:00 pm

Ntxw wrote:
cycloneye wrote:

Luis,

I think hotlinking the ONI table from the CPC on the first page would be useful. That folks can just hop onto the first page to see what years provided what ENSO event.

Great idea and I did it that way.Is at the top of first post so all can find it fast.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO Updates: ONI data since 1950 at first post

#8740 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:08 pm

@PaulRoundy1
Seems to be more subseasonal/MJO amplitude in here than Niña (more propagating than stationary). It's just phasing nicely with the Niña.

https://twitter.com/PaulRoundy1/status/950065303597273088

0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”