ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
tstorm98
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Re: ENSO: CPC 6/29/15 update: Nino 3.4 at +1.4C

#6301 Postby tstorm98 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:56 pm

Daily 3.4 region index now above 1.5 degree Celsius! :D
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ENSO Updates

#6302 Postby Hurricaneman » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:22 pm

I think the WWB is doing its magic and the next update will be in strong El Nino range with possibly a 1.6 to 1.7 positive anomaly

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6303 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:54 pm

This is from Philip Klotzbach, the WWB have been numerous and they have been moving farther east than usual. The graph pretty much speaks for itself, this Nino is not lacking in that department.

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

asd123
Category 1
Category 1

Re: ENSO: CPC 6/22/15 update: Nino 3.4 up to +1.4C

#6304 Postby asd123 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:47 pm

asd123 wrote:When will the data outage be replaced? The bottom one has been appearing on some days, but the top one (upper right) has been out for a while now.

Image courtesy of NWS NOAA:

Can someone tell me what exactly is going on? It's gotten worse, as an entire 10 degrees in longitude have been wiped out for a few days now. I tried Google only to find absolutely nothing.
0 likes   
This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#6305 Postby LarryWx » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:55 am

June ended up at -10.3, which is near June of 1972. 6/1-15 was near +5 while 6/16-30 was near -25.

Per the 0Z Euro, volatility is ahead: SOI should drop back to near low -30's 7/2-3 before rapidly rising to the general vicinity of +20 by 7/6-7. Then it is predicted to fall back some but still be around +10 or maybe +teens 7/10-11.

Based on this, 7/1-11 may end up averaging not far from 0...perhaps near -1.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#6306 Postby Dean_175 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:29 am

Does anyone know whats about to happen to the MJO? Last time I looked GFS shows it to suddenly stop propagating and crash back down to low amplitude. What would cause such a strong MJO to stop propagating?
0 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6307 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:04 pm

The heat has been down right brutal here in Hawaii. Record high temperatures have been set.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#6308 Postby dexterlabio » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:41 pm

Isn't it a characteristic during an El Nino that strong MJO pulse doesn't travel further into the Western Hemisphere and stalls/gets reborn in WPAC or EPAC?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

WALL-E
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#6309 Postby WALL-E » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:57 am

Basically you can see westerly winds dominate the whole latitude of WPAC. Stunning!

This looks more like a late August scenario.
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6310 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:18 am

I think it's possible we will have 2 peaks. One around August and one during late fall.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6311 Postby Ntxw » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:22 am

First map for July. Doesn't get any more Nino than this.

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6312 Postby Ntxw » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:38 am

The MJO set a July record for strongest amplitude. That is three times this year, the other Pacific one was in March, and May had one over the IO.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#6313 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:14 am

We have passed the spring barrier. Ensemble members agree on a Super Niño and not a single one is left out here in the CFSv2 model.

Here is the best performer last year and agreed by JB

0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#6314 Postby LarryWx » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:25 am

LarryWx wrote:June ended up at -10.3, which is near June of 1972. 6/1-15 was near +5 while 6/16-30 was near -25.

Per the 0Z Euro, volatility is ahead: SOI should drop back to near low -30's 7/2-3 before rapidly rising to the general vicinity of +20 by 7/6-7. Then it is predicted to fall back some but still be around +10 or maybe +teens 7/10-11.

Based on this, 7/1-11 may end up averaging not far from 0...perhaps near -1.

Per the 0Z Euro, a wild SOI ride ahead. Get ready for a very steep SOI rise over the next ~4 days to perhaps close to +20 from the current ~-35 before a fall back to ~-20's to near -30 by 7/14.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6315 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:19 am

Following the WWB, here comes the Oceanic Kelvin wave, evident with warm waters pushing downward again in the central Pacific

0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

tstorm98
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Re:

#6316 Postby tstorm98 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:27 pm

Ntxw wrote:Following the WWB, here comes the Oceanic Kelvin wave, evident with warm waters pushing downward again in the central Pacific

http://i61.tinypic.com/2m5b3ma.gif

:flag: :D
1 likes   

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#6317 Postby Dean_175 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:59 pm

Ntxw- considering the last weekly was at 1.4C and this weeks may even be higher still, do you think that with this new KW - we will likely see ONI reach 2C at peak?
0 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Andrew92
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6318 Postby Andrew92 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:07 pm

I am in the LA area this weekend, and I did a little swimming at the beach in Santa Monica. I can tell you the water wasn't what I would call cold, or even cool. It wasn't warm enough to support a hurricane by any means, but definitely comfortable.

It seems like the Pacific Ocean is cooler than this usually about this time of year. I don't think I remember a time in July it was as comfortable temperature-wise at about this time. Another sign of El Nino?

-Andrew92
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#6319 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:26 pm

Andrew92 wrote:I am in the LA area this weekend, and I did a little swimming at the beach in Santa Monica. I can tell you the water wasn't what I would call cold, or even cool. It wasn't warm enough to support a hurricane by any means, but definitely comfortable.

It seems like the Pacific Ocean is cooler than this usually about this time of year. I don't think I remember a time in July it was as comfortable temperature-wise at about this time. Another sign of El Nino?

-Andrew92

A sign of both El Nino and +PDO.

Have fun. Nothing like Southern Cali IMO.
0 likes   

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

Re:

#6320 Postby Dean_175 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:33 pm

Andrew92 wrote:I am in the LA area this weekend, and I did a little swimming at the beach in Santa Monica. I can tell you the water wasn't what I would call cold, or even cool. It wasn't warm enough to support a hurricane by any means, but definitely comfortable.

-Andrew92

Well the SST anomalies that define an El Nino event are confined to the equatorial region- however, it is common to get warm waters off of the west coast of North America during El Nino - and this pattern of warm water projects onto a positive PDO pattern. Doesn't happen every El Nino because you can have a negative PDO along with El Nino (ie. 2009). So the warm waters may be due to the positive PDO- and PDO is largely driven by ENSO. We have had a very positive PDO for over a year now - with warm anomalies off the west coast.

On the other hand, I am not too sure how much effect it would have on SSTs right along the shoreline , as when you get close to the coastline- temperatures can be different from what you see farther offshore.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”