ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5901 Postby Ntxw » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:36 pm

The stalling of warming is just about over (last of easterly anomalies) in the eastern Nino regions. I'd say more or less we are already approaching moderate Nino transition, I see no evidence to believe cooling will occur.

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO Updates

#5902 Postby cycloneye » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:18 pm

The MJO becomes less factor as El Nino gets stronger.

WSI Energy Weather @WSI_Energy · 1h 1 hour ago

During a strengthening El Nino atmosphere, Madden Julian Oscillation activity often reduces.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5903 Postby Ntxw » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:35 pm

cycloneye wrote:The MJO becomes less factor as El Nino gets stronger.

WSI Energy Weather @WSI_Energy · 1h 1 hour ago

During a strengthening El Nino atmosphere, Madden Julian Oscillation activity often reduces.

Yup, MJO is often strongest in the Spring when ENSO fades and during neutral conditions. As an ENSO event matures convection will occur in favored areas related to ENSO regardless of the MJO.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#5904 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:11 pm

Since the base for weeklies is always Thursday, I'd say the anomaly for next week would be at 1.1C, meaning CPC and BOM would declare moderate conditions

0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5905 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:34 am

Whatever happened to the buoy problems we had last year?
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re:

#5906 Postby cycloneye » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:34 am

Ntxw wrote:The stalling of warming is just about over (last of easterly anomalies) in the eastern Nino regions. I'd say more or less we are already approaching moderate Nino transition, I see no evidence to believe cooling will occur.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2rgm2ds.gif

It looks like things are steady without any big warming or cooling at this time waiting for the next wwb in May.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#5907 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:08 am

Niño regions for today:

Niño 4=+1.3ºC
Niño 3.4=+1.1ºC
Niño 3=+1.2ºC
Niño1+2=+0.7ºC
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#5908 Postby cycloneye » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:00 am

ESPI is very positive meaning another positive signal for El Nino.

http://trmm.gsfc.nasa.gov//trmm_rain/Ev ... y_day.html
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#5909 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:47 am

Impressive pool. All +1C anomalies at the surface, now signaling a moderate Niño. Last occurred in 2009

Unlike last year, as this pool surfaces it deepens and grows

0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5910 Postby Blown Away » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:22 pm

Are El Nino's happening more frequently?
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5911 Postby Ntxw » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:24 pm

Blown Away wrote:Are El Nino's happening more frequently?

Since 2004 they have been occuring much less compared to La Ninas. Prior to this current multiyear Nino we went 4 years without one.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#5912 Postby Dean_175 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:44 pm

Nino 3.4 is up to 1.1C (moderate) , up from 0.9C a week and a half ago. Do you think values of 1.5C (strong) and above are likely by June?

-This post by Dean 175 is not an official forecast and should not be used as such.
0 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#5913 Postby Hurricaneman » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:59 pm

Dean_175 wrote:Nino 3.4 is up to 1.1C (moderate) , up from 0.9C a week and a half ago. Do you think values of 1.5C (strong) and above are likely by June?

-This post by Dean 175 is not an official forecast and should not be used as such.

I don't see anything above 1.5c at peak as I look at it maybe 1.3 or 1.4 but heres something that could be interesting for the 2016 hurricane season as it seems as though at the sub surface there seems to be some areas of sub surface negative anomalies around the Dateline so that may be something to watch for next yearand could even set up a -neutral or La Nina by some time in 2016

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#5914 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:03 am

Hurricaneman wrote:
Dean_175 wrote:Nino 3.4 is up to 1.1C (moderate) , up from 0.9C a week and a half ago. Do you think values of 1.5C (strong) and above are likely by June?

I don't see anything above 1.5c at peak as I look at it maybe 1.3 or 1.4 but heres something that could be interesting for the 2016 hurricane season as it seems as though at the sub surface there seems to be some areas of sub surface negative anomalies around the Dateline so that may be something to watch for next yearand could even set up a -neutral or La Nina by some time in 2016

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

Almost all major models agree at least 1.5C at peak, currently it is at 1.1C, which proves them right

The stronger a Niño gets, the more likely there'd be cooler subsurface anomalies to the west.

Analogs are 1982, 1997 and 2009

Subsequently followed by moderate-to-strong, long lasting La Niñas

2009 (2010)

0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#5915 Postby euro6208 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:11 am

More WWB on the way...I'm thinking of at least a strong el nino anytime this year...

0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#5916 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:13 am

euro6208 wrote:More WWB on the way...I'm thinking of at least a strong el nino anytime this year...

It is already approaching moderate intensity, anomaly now at 1.1C for Niño 3.4
0 likes   

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#5917 Postby Dean_175 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:59 pm

MJO is non-existent now, with both RMM1 and RMM2 very close to zero. GFS ensemble is showing that what of the MJO is going to progress through phase 7 and 8 over the next 2 weeks. I wonder if this is enough to cause the SOI to move back out of the neutral positive values?

-All posts by Dean_175 are not official forecasts and should not be used as such.
0 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5918 Postby Ntxw » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:16 pm

euro6208 wrote:More WWB on the way...I'm thinking of at least a strong el nino anytime this year...

May is a crucial month in terms of Nino strength. All of the major Nino's feature dominant westerlies in this month. Years like last, it does not happen and we end up with weaker ones.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

weatherwindow
Category 4
Category 4

#5919 Postby weatherwindow » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:42 pm

Ntxw wrote:
Blown Away wrote:Are El Nino's happening more frequently?

Since 2004 they have been occuring much less compared to La Ninas. Prior to this current multiyear Nino we went 4 years without one.

Per CSU(unfortunately no link), the active or +positve phase of the AMO has disportionately fewer Ninos than the -phase of the cycle. La Nina or neutral conditions tend to predominate. Referenced from a forecast discussion several years ago....Grtz from KW, Rich
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5920 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:53 pm

weatherwindow wrote:
Per CSU(unfortunately no link), the active or +positve phase of the AMO has disportionately fewer Ninos than the -phase of the cycle. La Nina or neutral conditions tend to predominate. Referenced from a forecast discussion several years ago....Grtz from KW, Rich

That's really because +PDO is associated with -AMO in the time period for which we have records for.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”