ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#61 Postby cycloneye » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:14 pm

Jim Hughes wrote:The latest clip of 1/23 shows that the warmth is still rapidly being replaced by the cooler anomalies. This extremely fast turn around will be historic if it continues at this pace. We could possibly be looking at weekly negative SST anomalies that support La Nina conditions by months end.

cycloneye wrote:Image

Yes Jim.It's impressive how fast those cool anomalies are expanding.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

benny
Category 2
Category 2

#62 Postby benny » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:18 pm

Jim Hughes wrote:Take a look at this other data: Snip

Jim,
Could you explain just a little what you mean by the possible La Nina having almost everything going for it? I'm sure you are aware that for most of the winter, the AO/NAO has been positive and stratosphere has experienced negative temp anomalies. How exactly is this favorable for future La Nina development? Is this somehow coupled with the space weather? What kind of space/stratosphere weather would most favor La Nina later on? I'm trying to figure out what methodology you are using and am failing. Thanks!
0 likes   

Jim Hughes
Category 3
Category 3

#63 Postby Jim Hughes » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:21 am

benny wrote:
Jim Hughes wrote:Take a look at this other data: Snip

Jim,
Could you explain just a little what you mean by the possible La Nina having almost everything going for it? I'm sure you are aware that for most of the winter, the AO/NAO has been positive and stratosphere has experienced negative temp anomalies. How exactly is this favorable for future La Nina development? Is this somehow coupled with the space weather? What kind of space/stratosphere weather would most favor La Nina later on? I'm trying to figure out what methodology you are using and am failing. Thanks!

Benny,

I have posted numerous discussions over the years within places like this and I have never made a dime from any of this. Nor from weather forecasting. There are a couple of things that I am going to keep to myself from now on in hopes of doing something with all of this one day.

Might I suggest that you read up on Theodor Landscheidt's work about the solar effect upon the EL Nino. If you combine some of this with the understanding of the solar dynamo and what space weather possibly forces it becomes slightly more clear.

Of course you need to understand the earth's climate system from the SST's up to the stratosphere. These have always been the areas that I have concentrated on. I did this because they were poorly understood environments when I first started researching.

Space weather and the stratosphere still lack a strong following or understanding and this forum's policies just prove my point.

We all know about the space weather rules in regards to this particular forum but I posted a link about the stratosphere some time back and it got moved to the global weather forum. Would an MJO topic get moved? It's a global player. So this boat does not float with me.

Anyone who thinks that the stratosphere does not play a role in the tropics is either in denial or poorly educated.

An example. I have read where some research has pointed toward a convection increase in the southern hemisphere ITCZ after a SSW at the north pole.
0 likes   

hial2
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#64 Postby hial2 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:37 am

Thank you for the free education I'm getting on this forum,Jim!!..Can you explain to me what you mean by..."after a SSW at the north pole"?..
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#65 Postby cycloneye » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:28 pm

The POAMA model continues to turn to Neutral-La Nina area as time goes by and it's doing so rapidly.

:darrow: :darrow: :darrow:

POAMA Graphic
Last edited by cycloneye on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

AussieMark
Category 5
Category 5

#66 Postby AussieMark » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:27 pm

just a question should be be displaying images directly from those sites?

wouldn't it be using up their bandwidth

I just worry they may take it off thats all :?:
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#67 Postby cycloneye » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:00 pm

AussieMark wrote:just a question should we be displaying images directly from those sites?

wouldn't it be using up their bandwidth

I just worry they may take it off thats all :?:

I agree about that.I haved posted graphics here but from now on those will be posted by links or hypertexts to conserve bandwidth on this site.I encourage the members to do the same.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Jim Hughes
Category 3
Category 3

#68 Postby Jim Hughes » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:12 pm

hial2 wrote:Thank you for the free education I'm getting on this forum,Jim!!..Can you explain to me what you mean by..."after a SSW at the north pole"?..

SSW stands for a sudden stratospheric warming.
0 likes   

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

#69 Postby wxmann_91 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:11 pm

cycloneye wrote:The POAMA model continues to turn to Neutral-La Nina area as time goes by and it's doing so rapidly.

POAMA Graphic

Luis, the link is broken.
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#70 Postby Aquawind » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:39 pm

Tis a rather dramatic cooling..

0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#71 Postby Aquawind » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:43 pm

wxmann_91 wrote:
cycloneye wrote:The POAMA model continues to turn to Neutral-La Nina area as time goes by and it's doing so rapidly.

POAMA Graphic

I think this is the graphic he was posting..

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/coupled_model/poama.shtml

0 likes   

AussieMark
Category 5
Category 5

#72 Postby AussieMark » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:23 pm

POAMA Graphic

Graphic is

POAMA Graphic
0 likes   

Kerry04
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#73 Postby Kerry04 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:32 pm

Is it to early to tell what kind of affect this will have on hurricane season?
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#74 Postby Aquawind » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:45 pm

Those graphics I posted were uploaded to Imageshack via the link in the posting window.. thus no bandwith to them and minimal with just thumbnails for us.. Another great feature Chad has added to the board.. 8-)

Is it to early to tell what kind of affect this will have on hurricane season?

Well some opions may be stronger than others but likely an active season ahead. How many landfalls is always up in the air.. no pun intended.

2006 NOAA article..

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2006/s2572.htm

Typically, La Niña events favor increased Atlantic hurricane activity, however, Jim Laver, director of the NOAA Climate Prediction Center says, "It is too early to say with confidence what effects this La Niña event will have on the 2006 hurricane season."
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#75 Postby cycloneye » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:14 am

wxmann_91 wrote:

POAMA Graphic

POAMA Graphic

I dont know what happened but it's working now.Anyway,Aquawind posted the graphic earlier. :)
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#76 Postby cycloneye » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:20 pm

Mean temperature -0.55 -0.46 -0.36 -0.31 -0.23 -0.20 -0.19
Model cool frequency (< –0.8°C) 19.5% 13.2% 11.6% 15.7% 9.2% 19.5% 15.8%
Model neutral frequency 80.5% 86.8% 85.5% 81.0% 87.4% 77.2% 78.4%
Model warm frequency (> +0.8°C) 0.0% 0.0% 2.9% 3.3% 3.3% 3.3% 5.8%
NB: "warm" is defined as an exceedance of +0.8°C, while "cool" is defined as falling below –0.8°C.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/coupled_model/poama.shtml

:uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow:

The above is the POAMA model by the numbers in terms of how this model forecasts how El Nino,Neutral and La Nina conditions will be thru September.As you can see almost the warm ENSO does not appear,while Neutral conditions are with the most percent with La Nina a distant second in the percents.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#77 Postby cycloneye » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:36 pm

Above is the 1/28/07 update of the subsurface waters,wow,those blue waters are more prominent now and they keep growing.

Let's see what CPC (Climate Prediction Center) says tommorow in it's febuary update.I suspect they they will narrow the timeframe for El Nino.The January update had El Nino Thru May.
0 likes   

MetSul Weather Center
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#78 Postby MetSul Weather Center » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:06 pm

The cooling in the models is getting faster and faster. A La Niña scenario is more likely day after day of runs.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/a ... SSTMon.gif

I would not be surprised to see a Pacific in La Niña mode by April or May.
0 likes   

Jim Hughes
Category 3
Category 3

#79 Postby Jim Hughes » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:46 pm

MetSul Weather Center wrote:The cooling in the models is getting faster and faster. A La Niña scenario is more likely day after day of runs.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/a ... SSTMon.gif

I would not be surprised to see a Pacific in La Niña mode by April or May.

The January OHC hard numbers show the subsurface cooling as well. The subsurface area between 180W-100W is now at -.43

The November to Janaury drop has only been stronger on two occassions. They were between 11/82-1/83 and 11/97-1/98. We saw a weak La Nina and a strong La Nina follow these sharp January changes.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/a ... _index.txt
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#80 Postby cycloneye » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:02 am

Climate Prediction Center Febuary Update

:uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow:

A big change from the January update when they said El Nino would linger thru May.They now are catching up with the Australians in terms of being Neutral ENSO by spring.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”