ENSO Updates

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Message
Author
User avatar
NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 11034
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:14 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: ENSO Updates

#10781 Postby NDG » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:30 pm

This is one big bust by the Euro, it forecasted a much drier May for central America and wetter for the immediate equatorial pacific.

Image
Image
0 likes   

User avatar
Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 11005
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:06 am
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Re: ENSO Updates

#10782 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:36 pm

NDG wrote:This is one big bust by the Euro, it forecasted a much drier May for central America and wetter for the immediate equatorial pacific.

https://i.imgur.com/YMFulpv.png
https://i.imgur.com/bi2obd3.gif

Sort of similar to last year. I wonder if the CAG we saw this year and last year hurt the forecast.Though pretty good job over the Caribbean/MDR.
0 likes   

User avatar
NotSparta
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1148
Age: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:24 am
Location: Naples, FL
Contact:

Re: ENSO Updates

#10783 Postby NotSparta » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:14 pm

Kingarabian wrote:GFS in better agreement with the CFS that sinking air will be developing close to the MC and rising air returning moving across the Pacific:
https://i.imgur.com/QWZCoiq.png


Maybe, but not quite as intense as the CFS w/ its tendencies to lean too far towards El Niño
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, tropical wx graphics and blogs: http://cyclonicwx.com

User avatar
NotSparta
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1148
Age: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:24 am
Location: Naples, FL
Contact:

Re: ENSO: CPC Weekly update: Niño 3.4 up to +1.0C

#10784 Postby NotSparta » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:16 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:So based on the 12z Euro, the SOI for the first 10 days of June will likely average out between -3 and -7, this is because of nearly identical high pressure numbers over Tahiti and Darwin. I'm saying between -3 and -7 due to identical pressures in the same region so it will come down to day by day observations. Days 10 through 20 of June will likely be a positive SOI due to the MJO entering the MC.


To update this post: Based on today's 12Z Euro, the next 4-5 days SHOULD be positive contributions to the SOI. After June 12, the model is showing a negative drop in the SOI once again because it builds back high pressure over Darwin. If it continues to show this solution (and verifies), there's a good possibility that a WWB sets up through the first week of July because through days 5-10 of the forecast, there's a growing amount of -VP200 anomalies building over the dateline. First 10 days of June will likely be near-5. But yeah I would've expected the SOI to be much more positive considering the strong pulse over the IO.


SOI continues to not cooperate and the Euro pressure forecasts continue to bust. I still believe it'll flip positive for a couple of days but we'll see.

Looking at the GFS 850mb wind Hovmoller, it's been about 8 days since the trade burst kicked off though there's yet to be a solid reflection on the buoys:
https://i.imgur.com/jzizAC6.png
Probably why anomalies continue to hold firm.


It did take like 3 weeks for any WWB effects to show up last time around, so it's not surprising. In addition it's only been 8 days in tiny spots. In most areas, the EWB's been around for at most 5 days
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, tropical wx graphics and blogs: http://cyclonicwx.com

User avatar
Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 11005
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:06 am
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Re: ENSO: CPC Weekly update: Niño 3.4 up to +1.0C

#10785 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:20 pm

NotSparta wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
To update this post: Based on today's 12Z Euro, the next 4-5 days SHOULD be positive contributions to the SOI. After June 12, the model is showing a negative drop in the SOI once again because it builds back high pressure over Darwin. If it continues to show this solution (and verifies), there's a good possibility that a WWB sets up through the first week of July because through days 5-10 of the forecast, there's a growing amount of -VP200 anomalies building over the dateline. First 10 days of June will likely be near-5. But yeah I would've expected the SOI to be much more positive considering the strong pulse over the IO.


SOI continues to not cooperate and the Euro pressure forecasts continue to bust. I still believe it'll flip positive for a couple of days but we'll see.

Looking at the GFS 850mb wind Hovmoller, it's been about 8 days since the trade burst kicked off though there's yet to be a solid reflection on the buoys:
https://i.imgur.com/jzizAC6.png
Probably why anomalies continue to hold firm.


It did take like 3 weeks for any WWB effects to show up last time around, so it's not surprising. In addition it's only been 8 days in tiny spots. In most areas, the EWB's been around for at most 5 days

Effects yes, I'm talking about observed strong trades. Last WWB and EWB 5 days in and strong anomalies were present.
1 likes   

User avatar
Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 11005
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:06 am
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Re: ENSO Updates

#10786 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:07 pm

Looking at today's RMM plots:
Strong possibility that the length and strength of this trade burst in the long range is likely overdone by the GFS as it's showing too much amplification over the MC once again.

While not to the full extent, the GFS and Euro are trending towards the CFS's solution which is to keep the MJO alive with continued progression towards the WPAC. This continues the pattern we've been in since the spring. Looks likely a WWB will be on the way to close out the month and into July. Considering that the upwelling Kelvin wave continues to sit deep in the WPAC without much progression due to relaxed trades over the dateline, there is good reason to believe that the next WWB will mean a high chance El Nino lasts through the rest of the year.
3 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator
Posts: 17223
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:34 pm
Location: DFW, Texas

Re: ENSO: CPC Weekly update: Niño 3.4 up to +1.0C

#10787 Postby Ntxw » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:19 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
SOI continues to not cooperate and the Euro pressure forecasts continue to bust. I still believe it'll flip positive for a couple of days but we'll see.

Looking at the GFS 850mb wind Hovmoller, it's been about 8 days since the trade burst kicked off though there's yet to be a solid reflection on the buoys:
https://i.imgur.com/jzizAC6.png
Probably why anomalies continue to hold firm.


It did take like 3 weeks for any WWB effects to show up last time around, so it's not surprising. In addition it's only been 8 days in tiny spots. In most areas, the EWB's been around for at most 5 days

Effects yes, I'm talking about observed strong trades. Last WWB and EWB 5 days in and strong anomalies were present.


The EWB would have done more damage had the El Nino died out in the Spring, but it didn't. This EWB likely stalled it more than anything until the next WWB. That's why there is seasonal variability, timing with it.
6 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

  Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

User avatar
NotSparta
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1148
Age: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:24 am
Location: Naples, FL
Contact:

Re: ENSO Updates

#10788 Postby NotSparta » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:13 pm

Kingarabian wrote:Looking at today's RMM plots:
Strong possibility that the length and strength of this trade burst in the long range is likely overdone by the GFS as it's showing too much amplification over the MC once again.

While not to the full extent, the GFS and Euro are trending towards the CFS's solution which is to keep the MJO alive with continued progression towards the WPAC. This continues the pattern we've been in since the spring. Looks likely a WWB will be on the way to close out the month and into July. Considering that the upwelling Kelvin wave continues to sit deep in the WPAC without much progression due to relaxed trades over the dateline, there is good reason to believe that the next WWB will mean a high chance El Nino lasts through the rest of the year.


Relaxed trades over the dateline? What's showing that?
2 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, tropical wx graphics and blogs: http://cyclonicwx.com

User avatar
Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 11005
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:06 am
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Re: ENSO Updates

#10789 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:22 pm

NotSparta wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:Looking at today's RMM plots:
Strong possibility that the length and strength of this trade burst in the long range is likely overdone by the GFS as it's showing too much amplification over the MC once again.

While not to the full extent, the GFS and Euro are trending towards the CFS's solution which is to keep the MJO alive with continued progression towards the WPAC. This continues the pattern we've been in since the spring. Looks likely a WWB will be on the way to close out the month and into July. Considering that the upwelling Kelvin wave continues to sit deep in the WPAC without much progression due to relaxed trades over the dateline, there is good reason to believe that the next WWB will mean a high chance El Nino lasts through the rest of the year.


Relaxed trades over the dateline? What's showing that?

Buoys. Hence why the downwelling Kelvin wave continues to garner more amplitude and there's some +3C anomalies popping up.
1 likes   

User avatar
CyclonicFury
Category 4
Category 4
Posts: 904
Age: 20
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:32 pm
Location: NC
Contact:

Re: ENSO Updates

#10790 Postby CyclonicFury » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:24 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:Looking at today's RMM plots:
Strong possibility that the length and strength of this trade burst in the long range is likely overdone by the GFS as it's showing too much amplification over the MC once again.

While not to the full extent, the GFS and Euro are trending towards the CFS's solution which is to keep the MJO alive with continued progression towards the WPAC. This continues the pattern we've been in since the spring. Looks likely a WWB will be on the way to close out the month and into July. Considering that the upwelling Kelvin wave continues to sit deep in the WPAC without much progression due to relaxed trades over the dateline, there is good reason to believe that the next WWB will mean a high chance El Nino lasts through the rest of the year.


Relaxed trades over the dateline? What's showing that?

Buoys. Hence why the downwelling Kelvin wave continues to garner more amplitude and there's some +3C anomalies popping up.

The buoys don't appear to show "relaxed" trades, it's more about average-slightly above average trades. Ventrice's Hovmoller shows a sizable trade burst ongoing.
2 likes   
NCSU meteorology student and weather blogger at www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

User avatar
Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 11005
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:06 am
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Re: ENSO Updates

#10791 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:34 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:
Relaxed trades over the dateline? What's showing that?

Buoys. Hence why the downwelling Kelvin wave continues to garner more amplitude and there's some +3C anomalies popping up.

The buoys don't appear to show "relaxed" trades, it's more about average-slightly above average trades. Ventrice's Hovmoller shows a sizable trade burst ongoing.

Those Hovmollers are based on the GFS's analysis. On the buoys between 180 and 145 there are very little hints of 5-6Ms anomalous trades that the GFS Hovmoller has been showing since June 1.
Image

Here's the 2017 May EWB comparison that killed any chance of El Nino:
Image
4 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator
Posts: 17223
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:34 pm
Location: DFW, Texas

Re: ENSO Updates

#10792 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:43 am

Going to be 0.9C this week.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.



  Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K


User avatar
cycloneye
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator
Posts: 117030
Age: 63
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:54 am
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Re: ENSO Updates

#10793 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:06 am

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

User avatar
cycloneye
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator
Posts: 117030
Age: 63
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:54 am
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Re: ENSO Updates

#10794 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:47 am

Ntxw wrote:Going to be 0.9C this week.


Text.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... ts-web.pdf
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

User avatar
Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 11005
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:06 am
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Re: ENSO Updates

#10795 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:28 am


As usual with Ventrices tweets:
 https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/1138069577777274880




And also we can see pretty relaxed trades or early signs of a WWB around June 20. Interestingly this is what the CFS has been showing for weeks in regards to that trade surge over the EPAC. Starting today differences in MJO forecasts will begin so we'll see which model is right.
2 likes   

User avatar
CyclonicFury
Category 4
Category 4
Posts: 904
Age: 20
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:32 pm
Location: NC
Contact:

Re: ENSO: CPC Weekly update: Niño 3.4 at +0.9C / Niño 1+2 down to -0.4C

#10796 Postby CyclonicFury » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:40 am

Daily SOI up to +8.15. First positive daily value I've seen in a while.
3 likes   
NCSU meteorology student and weather blogger at www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

User avatar
Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 11005
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:06 am
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Re: ENSO: CPC Weekly update: Niño 3.4 at +0.9C / Niño 1+2 down to -0.4C

#10797 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:51 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:Daily SOI up to +8.15. First positive daily value I've seen in a while.

Should be positive for the next few days if the observed pressures match the Euro forecast.
2 likes   

User avatar
Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 11005
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:06 am
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Re: ENSO: CPC Weekly update: Niño 3.4 at +0.9C / Niño 1+2 down to -0.4C

#10798 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:23 pm

Can't underestimate the power of Equatorial Rossby Waves.
You can see how an ERW in association with the conducive MJO phase looks to be triggering a strong WWB over the WPAC/DL/CPAC and another ERW in association with the suppressed MJO phase is triggering a strong trade burst (strongest we've seen in a while) over the EPAC.

Image
1 likes   

Monsoonjr99
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:22 pm

Re: ENSO: CPC Weekly update: Niño 3.4 at +0.9C / Niño 1+2 down to -0.4C

#10799 Postby Monsoonjr99 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:03 pm

Kingarabian wrote:Can't underestimate the power of Equatorial Rossby Waves.
You can see how an ERW in association with the conducive MJO phase looks to be triggering a strong WWB over the WPAC/DL/CPAC and another ERW in association with the suppressed MJO phase is triggering a strong trade burst (strongest we've seen in a while) over the EPAC.

-snip-


Possibly a Modoki on the way?
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.


Lives in SoCal now. Still Washingtonian at heart.

User avatar
Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 11005
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:06 am
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Re: ENSO: CPC Weekly update: Niño 3.4 at +0.9C / Niño 1+2 down to -0.4C

#10800 Postby Kingarabian » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:45 pm

Monsoonjr99 wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:Can't underestimate the power of Equatorial Rossby Waves.
You can see how an ERW in association with the conducive MJO phase looks to be triggering a strong WWB over the WPAC/DL/CPAC and another ERW in association with the suppressed MJO phase is triggering a strong trade burst (strongest we've seen in a while) over the EPAC.

-snip-


Possibly a Modoki on the way?


That was my thinking in late May:

Kingarabian wrote:GFS now takes the MJO into phase 2, similar to the Euro. Has a sizeable trade surge that extends to the dateline but keeps trades weak and relaxed over the EPAC for the forecast period:
[url]https://i.imgur.com/FniTWBW.png[url]

CFS also takes the MJO into phase 2, similar to the Euro. Doesn't show much of an easterly component in its forecasts, keeps trades or westerlies blowing over the dateline, but has a strong trade burst over the EPAC:
[url]https://i.imgur.com/UplNhlo.png[url]

So if the GFS solution materializes, a weak traditional El Nino will likely persist due to the trades blowing over an area that has sufficient warmth while weaker trades don't encourage much cooling over the EPAC.
If the CFS solution materializes the weak traditional El Nino signature over the Pacific ocean will surely disappear and a Modoki-esque signature will take over.


Looks like a blend of the above two solutions is what will happen based on models and present observations.
1 likes   


Return to “Talkin' Tropics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], GeneratorPower, Hammy, HurricaneMaster_PR, Hypercane_Kyle, stormzilla, StruThiO and 23 guests