Proenza's testimony: expects to be back as center director

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Chacor
Category 5
Category 5

Proenza's testimony: expects to be back as center director

#1 Postby Chacor » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:57 am

http://www.miamiherald.com/416/story/175464.html

Key points:

''The current TPC director should be reassigned and not be allowed to return to his position at the center,'' said the report by the team, assigned by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to look into the management situation at the center in West Miami-Dade County.

''This should be done due to his failure to demonstrate leadership within the TPC rather than his public statements about the QuikScat satellite or NOAA leadership,'' the report concludes.

Proenza, who ran the center for only six months before being relieved of duty, vigorously defended himself Thursday during testimony to members of the House Committee on Science and Technology.

He said he was being punished for his complaints about the dying QuikScat satellite and NOAA's delay in replacing it and for occasionally bucking management in other ways.

''I dared to call attention to it [QuikScat] and, by golly, I'm going to pay the price for bringing this to the American people,'' he told the committee. ``I have been chastised, threatened, recommended for reassignment and discredited after 40 years of service to my country.''

Nevertheless, he said, he expected to return to his post at the hurricane center.

''I'm still the center's director,'' he testified. ``I need to get back to work. I'm ready to repair bruised relationships wherever they may be.''

Personally, I don't think it's in the NHC's best interests if Proenza returned.
0 likes   

vacanechaser
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Proenza's testimony: expects to be back as center director

#2 Postby vacanechaser » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:14 am

Chacor wrote:http://www.miamiherald.com/416/story/175464.html

Key points:

''The current TPC director should be reassigned and not be allowed to return to his position at the center,'' said the report by the team, assigned by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to look into the management situation at the center in West Miami-Dade County.

''This should be done due to his failure to demonstrate leadership within the TPC rather than his public statements about the QuikScat satellite or NOAA leadership,'' the report concludes.

Proenza, who ran the center for only six months before being relieved of duty, vigorously defended himself Thursday during testimony to members of the House Committee on Science and Technology.

He said he was being punished for his complaints about the dying QuikScat satellite and NOAA's delay in replacing it and for occasionally bucking management in other ways.

''I dared to call attention to it [QuikScat] and, by golly, I'm going to pay the price for bringing this to the American people,'' he told the committee. ``I have been chastised, threatened, recommended for reassignment and discredited after 40 years of service to my country.''

Nevertheless, he said, he expected to return to his post at the hurricane center.

''I'm still the center's director,'' he testified. ``I need to get back to work. I'm ready to repair bruised relationships wherever they may be.''

agreed.. it would never work...

Jesse V. Bass III
http://www.vastormphoto.com
Hurricane Intercept Research Team
0 likes   

Weatherfreak14
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Weatherfreak14 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:15 am

He has caused so much disrupption already, and also right in the middle of hurriciane season.
0 likes   

Chacor
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Chacor » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:18 am

Let me try to set the tone for this so it doesn't sway too politically or into bashing:

Whether what he did was right or wrong is no longer the concern, regarding going back to the NHC. I just don't think that with this whole mess it'd be smart if he went back. The atmosphere would be really untenable.
0 likes   

dizzyfish
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby dizzyfish » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:21 am

I agree too many sour grapes for him to be put back in charge at this point.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#6 Postby HURAKAN » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:22 am

He's paying the price for being an outspoken person. I continue to agree with him but when you're going against the government's interest, you will certainly not win.
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#7 Postby x-y-no » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:23 am

Chacor wrote:Let me try to set the tone for this so it doesn't sway too politically or into bashing:

Whether what he did was right or wrong is no longer the concern here. I just don't think that with this whole mess it'd be smart if he went back.

I agree. It's just too high-risk to reinstate him just as the season gets going. The forecasters don't need any more distraction than they've already had.

Let Ed Rappaport run the center through the season and then sort things out afterwards.
0 likes   

DrewFL
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby DrewFL » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:24 am

While listening to the questioning I heard it mentioned several times that he's out and that's it.
They're on a break right now. Should be interesting when they reconvene.
0 likes   

superg77
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#9 Postby superg77 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:28 am

I wish he could come back. He was unfairly ousted.
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

#10 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:29 am

Too bad Stacy Stewart isn't due back from resewrve duty in the Middle East for a year. He seems to know his weather, and sounds good talking on TV.
0 likes   

DrewFL
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#11 Postby DrewFL » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:29 am

Link to the live feed. http://cbs4.com/
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

#12 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:30 am

superg77 wrote:I wish he could come back. He was unfairly ousted.

Unfairly ousted or not, it seems that over half the NHC staff, including his administrative assistant, don't want to work with him.

He probably should take the govt. pension and enter the private sector.
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Aquawind » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:37 am

I wish him the best..somewhere other than NHC. He has done a long service for this country and I am glad he got the chance to speakout for the record. I say we all move on as is with a new fulltime director and some reorganizational changes at the NHC in a few months.
0 likes   

Frank2
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Frank2 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:38 am

What a mess...
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#15 Postby HURAKAN » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:47 am

Frank2 wrote:What a mess...

That's the bottomline. Proenza found out what happens when you use the 1st Amendment too much.
0 likes   

Frank2
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby Frank2 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:10 pm

Well, I just meant in the general sense - this is one of those "ripples in the water" situations...
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#17 Postby HURAKAN » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:14 pm

What we need now is a hurricane in the Atlantic that takes the attention in the public from Proenza to the storm. A good forecast of the storm will bring back to normalcy those unsure that the NHC's experts can do their job. Ed should be the new director, and we can continue with our lives!!! Happily ever after.
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#18 Postby x-y-no » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:09 pm

HURAKAN wrote:What we need now is a hurricane in the Atlantic that takes the attention in the public from Proenza to the storm. A good forecast of the storm will bring back to normalcy those unsure that the NHC's experts can do their job. Ed should be the new director, and we can continue with our lives!!! Happily ever after.

Rappaport doesn't want the job permanently, from what I've heard. But he'll do a fine job running the place for the season I'm sure.

And I agree - people will calm down a bit once they see the NHC performing as well as ever on a couple of systems.
0 likes   

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby Category 5 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:13 pm

Chacor wrote:http://www.miamiherald.com/416/story/175464.html

Key points:

I agree, we can't have this conflict going on, especially with the peak of the season fast approaching.

In a situation like this I often ask this

WWMMD

What would Max Mayfield do.
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby artist » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:14 pm

I could have sworn I posted.
Thanks for posting the link.
Interesting to say the least. The one thiing we found out for certains is the quikscat is a very valuable tool. Can't wait for more hearings on this.
One more thing - interesting the Adm. had never used the procedure he did with the NHC of sending in an investigative team without advance notice.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”