Convection in the... Mediterranean?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Convection in the... Mediterranean?

#121 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:44 pm

Matt-hurricanewatcher wrote:
vbhoutex wrote:You know what folks? This thread is very close to being locked. The petty arguing going on is ridiculous. Different people have posted the facts concerning this basin. NOTHING any of you say is going to change what is official out there at this time. If you want it changed contact the WMO directly with facts, requests, etc. that may have an effect on any decision they can make concerning this. From what I have read in this thread, it was not a tropical cyclone by definition. What some may want and what actually happened are two different things based on the current parameters in place for designating tropical cyclones. STOP the petty arguments and either discuss the system or other possible Meditteranean systems or this thread will be locked and appropriate actions as necessary will be taken by staff.

I will stop vbhoutex, but what parameters did this not get? I understand they can't name it and your right about going to the WMO. But a case could be argued that was close to definition, of a warm core system based on fsu data. I know, I know we need more then that. But these are two interesting systems.

Matt, go back and read Jeff Master's blog. It pretty clearly states that this did not meet all the parameters for a TC, but he does still try to intimate it was one or at least similar to one. IMO, based just on what he wrote it did not meet the parameters for a named TC. No definite warm core etc.
0 likes   

stu
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#122 Postby stu » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:45 pm

It was a ploar low.
0 likes   

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Convection in the... Mediterranean?

#123 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:53 pm

Jeff was talking about the Spain system. Which did not look tropical to me up intill the last minute. The system I'm talking about is the central med system, which appeared to be a whole different story.
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#124 Postby JonathanBelles » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:56 pm

The mediterranean system was not in a place to get named, nor should it have been named...thats that. Request to lock the thread.
0 likes   

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#125 Postby Category 5 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:01 pm

fact789 wrote:The mediterranean system was not in a place to get named, nor should it have been named...thats that. Request to lock the thread.

I agree this thread is just back and forth nonsense now.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#126 Postby HURAKAN » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:10 pm

It was a nice discussion before it was taken personal between several of our members.

I just want to say that this system has not been the first in the Mediterranean Sea that has looked at least subtropical. It seems logical, in my opinion, to allow an already developed Meteorological agency that usually deals with tropical systems to take over the Mediterranean Sea. I don't see what is the problem of creating another region by the WMO. Is not like the agency will have to be looking for development for about six months of the year, but since these systems pop once in a while in the sea, there should be an agency watching over.
0 likes   

Chacor
Category 5
Category 5

#127 Postby Chacor » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:11 pm

It wasn't a "nice discussion", it was a discussion in which all the facts were laid out and still refused to be accepted at times.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Re:

#128 Postby HURAKAN » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:13 pm

Category 5 wrote:
fact789 wrote:The mediterranean system was not in a place to get named, nor should it have been named...thats that. Request to lock the thread.

I agree this thread is just back and forth nonsense now.

Fact, that can be changed.

When there's a discussion it will always be back and forth. I say something, you answer, and at the end there must be a compromise or agreement. :wink:
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#129 Postby HURAKAN » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:13 pm

Chacor wrote:It wasn't a "nice discussion", it was a discussion in which all the facts were laid out and still refused to be accepted at times.

That's a discussion. If they were accepted, it would be an agreement!!!
0 likes   

Coredesat

#130 Postby Coredesat » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:14 pm

Well, the truth is, there is no more organized convection in the Mediterranean (big front is moving through it), the discussion has wandered away from that topic, and this thread has no more use. I'm locking it.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”