Convection in the... Mediterranean?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#61 Postby HURAKAN » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:42 am

Landfall:

0 likes   

TheEuropean
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Convection in the... Mediterranean?

#62 Postby TheEuropean » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:46 am

WmE wrote:
TheEuropean wrote:40 kts at quiksat. This has to be a subtropical storm. Anyone to inform NHC?

Why, they won't initiate advisories. It's not in their area of responsibility.

But nobody else hat the responsibility for tropical system in the atlantic / the med. and nobody else has to name such systems.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#63 Postby HURAKAN » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:49 am

Doesn't look much in the radar images:

http://www.meteored.com/principal/radarinmregional.asp
0 likes   

WmE
Category 2
Category 2

#64 Postby WmE » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:51 am

TheEuropean wrote:
WmE wrote:
TheEuropean wrote:40 kts at quiksat. This has to be a subtropical storm. Anyone to inform NHC?

Why, they won't initiate advisories. It's not in their area of responsibility.

But nobody else hat the responsibility for tropical system in the atlantic / the med. and nobody else has to name such systems.

Nobody has responsibility in the Southern Atlantic as well. And unless that changes these systems will not get names or adivisories will be initiated, even though they are clearly tropical or subtropical cyclones. (e.g Catarina in 2004 or this storm)
0 likes   

TheEuropean
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#65 Postby TheEuropean » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:51 am

The eye makes landfall now. In Cartagena first gust with 40 mph NNW, than 44 mph from the east. Heavy rains expected with up to 4 Inch within 12 hours.
0 likes   

Coredesat

#66 Postby Coredesat » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:04 am

The area south of Sicily is still there but less organized:

0 likes   

Cryomaniac
Category 5
Category 5

#67 Postby Cryomaniac » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:31 am

Hell, if no-one else will, perhaps we should name them, we have enough pro mets here to make it (in my eyes at least) ok, and we have a disclaimer!
0 likes   

Chacor
Category 5
Category 5

#68 Postby Chacor » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:35 am

Okay, excuse this rant, please.

Why are people calling for this to be named? There's no documentation of this area, I'm sick of seeing certain users continue to insist that this is a subtropical storm, or that the NHC should name it. It hasn't been analysed as a tropical or subtropical cyclone by Greece (who have high seas responsibility), and the NHC could care less about this area (and rightly so) - end of story.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#69 Postby Derek Ortt » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:57 am

the Med is not the NHC area of responsibility. One would need to either extend RSMC Miami's area to include the Med (thus, including it into the Atlantic basin), or assign a second RSMC (maybe meteo France, though tht could result in other complications)

That said, this was likely a strong TD or a weak TS at landfall
0 likes   

vegastar
Category 1
Category 1

#70 Postby vegastar » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:16 am

Does anybody has a visible image (from today) of the system south of Sicily? This one has deep thunderstorms and is over warmer waters (24º C I think).
0 likes   

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#71 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:51 pm

Chacor wrote:Okay, excuse this rant, please.

Why are people calling for this to be named? There's no documentation of this area, I'm sick of seeing certain users continue to insist that this is a subtropical storm, or that the NHC should name it. It hasn't been analysed as a tropical or subtropical cyclone by Greece (who have high seas responsibility), and the NHC could care less about this area (and rightly so) - end of story.

Hey dude, I don't understand why you are always mad or have trouble with other people. We have been tracking cyclones for a long time and when we see something outside of the norm, we trend to like to keep record of it. Even so the nhc or no one else cares about it. I'm getting very tired of hearing people tell me or others, that we can't track systems like this. This is a "tropical cyclone" or something interesting as derek pointed out. Which has a degree in this field. Really that system I never pointed at all on this board, it was always the system at 15 east/33,34 north that has interest me. But it did also look good.

I will keep noting systems that look interesting. I welcome you to prove me wrong on them or right. That is what we do. :wink:
0 likes   

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#72 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:01 pm

When professional meteorologists say this may have been a tropical
system there is science involved so there are strong reasons
to name the systems.
0 likes   

HenkL
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#73 Postby HenkL » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:34 pm

vegastar wrote:Does anybody has a visible image (from today) of the system south of Sicily? This one has deep thunderstorms and is over warmer waters (24º C I think).

See images on: http://www.sat24.com/
0 likes   

Cryomaniac
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#74 Postby Cryomaniac » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:24 pm

HenkL wrote:
vegastar wrote:Does anybody has a visible image (from today) of the system south of Sicily? This one has deep thunderstorms and is over warmer waters (24º C I think).

See images on: http://www.sat24.com/

That looks pretty good, and if it stays over water while still going west it could get better looking.
0 likes   

Coredesat

#75 Postby Coredesat » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:26 pm

Matt-hurricanewatcher wrote:Hey dude, I don't understand why you are always mad or have trouble with other people. We have been tracking cyclones for a long time and when we see something outside of the norm, we trend to like to keep record of it. Even so the nhc or no one else cares about it. I'm getting very tired of hearing people tell me or others, that we can't track systems like this. This is a "tropical cyclone" or something interesting as derek pointed out. Which has a degree in this field. Really that system I never pointed at all on this board, it was always the system at 15 east/33,34 north that has interest me. But it did also look good.

I will keep noting systems that look interesting. I welcome you to prove me wrong on them or right. That is what we do. :wink:

Tampa Bay Hurricane wrote:When professional meteorologists say this may have been a tropical
to name the systems.

Systems here can't be named. There is no agency or name list for this region because this is not part of the Atlantic or any other official basin that has a tropical cyclone RSMC or name list available for it. The NHC is not responsible for this area, and I have no idea how people developed this idea.

There may be a tropical or subtropical cyclone in the region, but it cannot be named or designated with a number if there is no one to do so. Advisories won't be initiated because there is no one to initiate them. Chacor has a valid point, please read into what he's saying rather than attack him because you want this thing named.

Now, if Greece (the country whose met service has high seas responsibility in this area) decided to call it a tropical cyclone, that would be different. However, no one else can "officially" declare it as such.
0 likes   

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#76 Postby Category 5 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:39 pm

Tampa Bay Hurricane wrote:

When professional meteorologists say this may have been a tropical
to name the systems.

Perhaps you'd like to tell us who would be naming this system. :wink:
0 likes   

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

#77 Postby Category 5 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:42 pm

Matt-hurricanewatcher wrote:

Hey dude, I don't understand why you are always mad or have trouble with other people. We have been tracking cyclones for a long time and when we see something outside of the norm, we trend to like to keep record of it. Even so the nhc or no one else cares about it. I'm getting very tired of hearing people tell me or others, that we can't track systems like this. This is a "tropical cyclone" or something interesting as derek pointed out. Which has a degree in this field. Really that system I never pointed at all on this board, it was always the system at 15 east/33,34 north that has interest me. But it did also look good.

Apperently you didn't read past the first sentence of Chacors post. He was simply stating a fact.
0 likes   

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#78 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:55 pm

Category 5 wrote:
Matt-hurricanewatcher wrote:

Apperently you didn't read past the first sentence of Chacors post. He was simply stating a fact.

I understand clearly that greece or the nhc can't name it. The JTWC could, they work for the navy and we do have a few ships with in the area. So it would be with in there interest. But no my post was NOT about naming or numbering of the system, but was about people stating their options of the system, and which he seems to belittle people for them, just like Chantel earlier this season that was clearly a tropical cyclone when I noted it, and said it 'should' be upgraded. When I say it should that means that I think it "should" be upgraded, that does not mean that the nhc will upgrade it. Other people have options of systems to, that is what a message board like storm2k or message boards overall are made for, for people to come with a option and to state what they believe. Yes other people have a right to say not so fast or your not right about something, but hopefully they have data to back it up. It is not about bashing the nhc,noaa,nws at all with me.

I have a high amount of respect for wxman57, because he can back up his case. In tell me why and why not.

I don't see the reason to get so up tight. I come here to enjoy and do something I like doing, not to have high blood pressure.

I feel Char is smart and has a lot of knowledge. In that should be welcomed on this board. But don't see the reason for him to be up tight with other people all the time.

Also what makes me post this is the fact he is sick of other people saying this could be tropical or subtropical. Who is he to say it is not?
0 likes   

Coredesat

#79 Postby Coredesat » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:07 pm

The JTWC is not a RSMC or an official weather bureau for anything other than the U.S. Navy. It can't name anything. That, and there's a few other things wrong with that idea that I just won't go into.

Should it be upgraded? Maybe. Can it be upgraded? No.
0 likes   

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

#80 Postby Category 5 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:08 pm

Matt-hurricanewatcher wrote:I understand clearly that greece or the nhc can't name it. The JTWC could, they work for the navy and we do have a few ships with in the area. So it would be with in there interest.

They won't. Deal with it.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”