La. to buy $20 million in generators for stores

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

La. to buy $20 million in generators for stores

#1 Postby CajunMama » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:07 pm

STORM UPDATE: La. to buy $20 million in generators for stores
September 4, 2008

BATON ROUGE (AP) — Louisiana is going to spend $20 million to buy 400 generators to help gas stations, pharmacies and grocery stores restart services after Hurricane Gustav blacked out much of the state’s power grid.

Gov. Bobby Jindal announced the plans today, saying it’s critical to get services up and running so people can buy fuel, food and water, ice and medicine. He says providing state-owned generators to private businesses has never been done before in the state.

The generators will go out first to the 28 parishes where 51 percent of homes and businesses don’t have power.

Jindal says he hopes the generators will be bought and deployed by this weekend.

They will be sent to the parish emergency centers, and local leaders will determine which stores and gas stations will get them.

I hope these are some superduper heavy duty generators for $50,000/generator.
0 likes   

LSU2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: La. to buy $20 million in generators for stores

#2 Postby LSU2001 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:31 pm

They are mama I got to see a couple of the gennys and they are 100 kw diesels on trailers. They are plenty big enough to run a store and pump fuel and keep freezers and refrigeration running. I got to say Jindal has done an outstanding job IMHO. The prep work and the quick movement after the storm have, as far as I can see, really helped the initial recovery phase.
Tim
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#3 Postby CajunMama » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:01 pm

thanks for that update tim. My thought was that because it was government buying the generators they'd be some rinky dinky kind that the supplier inflated the price on.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”