LaPlaceFF's Gustav story

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

LaPlaceFF
Category 5
Category 5

LaPlaceFF's Gustav story

#1 Postby LaPlaceFF » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:59 pm

My experience with Gustav was a lot different than with Katrina.

In October I bought a house here in LaPlace. April 5 saw the birth of my daughter Mariah. Having my girfriend Sheryl and her daughter from a previous marriage Grace living with me meant that I was responsible for 3 other lives.

Even though the parish was under a mandatory evacuation, we stayed home. Sheryls mom and her ex-husband also stayed with us that day. We watched the wrath of Gustav unfurl from my garage. A tree branch broke and my yard was filled with leaves and small branches. We lost power for over a week here in LaPlace.

For days afterward you could hear the sound of generators down my street. The hottest selling item at my Home Depot was generators and window air conditioning units.

Things are getting back to normal very quickly here. There was a humungous crowd at the place where they were giving the emergency food stamp cards. Grocery stores are starting to replenish their perishable items such as meat and dairy items. A store here had roof damage and will not reopen for weeks.

I saw a lot of out of state power companies here putting our power back on. The ones we had here were from South Carolina. These guys come out to affected areas to help Entergy. In return Entergy goes out to help other affected areas also. Thanks to those guys that help us out. Thanks to everyone who gave us aid at our time of need.

This overall was a great learning experience for me.
0 likes   

LaPlaceFF
Category 5
Category 5

Re: LaPlaceFF's Gustav story

#2 Postby LaPlaceFF » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:35 pm

LaPlaceFF wrote:A store here had roof damage and will not reopen for weeks.

That store that had roof damage, Frank's Supervalu, did not open back up. A new owner bought the place and reopened under a new name, Lishman's City Market.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”