Galveston...family

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

lele25
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Galveston...family

#1 Postby lele25 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:11 pm

I live on Mobile Bay, but I have a Great Aunt & Uncle that live on the west end of Galveston Island. They were very aware of the danger and "certain death" if they stayed, but against our protests, they decided to "ride it out". Their house was built well above ground, so they thought they would be fine. They have been sending text mess to us but those stopped about an hour ago. We can't reach them at all. We are seeing the media coverage and it looks aweful....can someone please give us info on what is happening on the west end of Galv.????
0 likes   

storm4u
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Galveston...family

#2 Postby storm4u » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:21 pm

It really doesnt look good for them! But i hope for you and them that they make it out ok..
0 likes   

Doc Seminole

#3 Postby Doc Seminole » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:30 pm

What were they saying in the text messages?
0 likes   

lele25
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#4 Postby lele25 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:42 pm

Last text was " we are still ok, the water is over the car port and breaking in the living room we are moving to the 2nd level." Their house is built like many beach houses...car port is ground level, then the living area above that. They have two levels above the car port, so they still have another floor to go to if need be. We are so worried. We begged them to leave. Shouldn't text still be working???
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby MSRobi911 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:52 pm

depends on the carrier and if the tower has gone down. I talked to my daughter throughout katrina and after but other carriers did not have signals.

Mary

I will say a prayer for them as I have been doing all night.
0 likes   

fasterdisaster
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby fasterdisaster » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:59 pm

Approximately 12 foot storm surge right now, will peak around 18 feet. Sustained winds are around 60 mph and gusting to 80. Those winds will increase for the next two hours probably to (guessing) around 90 sustained w/gusts to 115 or 120. The surge will be the main threat as the water has now passed the seawall and is increasing.

I'm really hoping the best for your family.
0 likes   

lele25
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#7 Postby lele25 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:09 am

still can't reach them, I don't know much about the island...only visited a few times, is the west more protected or more likely for damage? My husband is wanting to drive down in the morning, I told him no way....he could not even get in.
0 likes   

baygirl_1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby baygirl_1 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:16 am

lele25, Keep in mind too that as power goes out in the Houston area, more and more people are probably using cell phones. We only have one phone that is not a cordless, i.e, power-dependent. We have many friends who only have cordless land lines, so they have to use their cell phones when power is out. The networks are probably severely stressed not only due to the weather conditions but due to the volume of people trying to stay in contact with family members. Hang in there! Prayers are being offered from West Mobile.
0 likes   

fasterdisaster
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#9 Postby fasterdisaster » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:17 am

lele25 wrote:still can't reach them, I don't know much about the island...only visited a few times, is the west more protected or more likely for damage? My husband is wanting to drive down in the morning, I told him no way....he could not even get in.

I think it's only the east end that does not have a seawall (don't bank on that though could be wrong!) and if it continues at this general trajectory they will probably be spared the 24 foot surge that the east bay will be getting. That said, your family still looks to be in quite a pickle with 18 foot surge possible where they are.
0 likes   

jcool
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#10 Postby jcool » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:32 am

Your family in my thoughts and prayers tonight. Texts got slow and sometimes didn't work at all during and after Katrina for me in south Mississippi so hopefully they are ok. They may not be able to get a text out for a few days or more but please let us kow when you here from them. j
0 likes   

lele25
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#11 Postby lele25 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:33 am

Thank you for your replies. We are extremely worried not only because of the obvious danger, but also because they are both in their late 60's. God be with them and everyone in Ike's path.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

Re:

#12 Postby Derek Ortt » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:49 am

lele25 wrote:still can't reach them, I don't know much about the island...only visited a few times, is the west more protected or more likely for damage? My husband is wanting to drive down in the morning, I told him no way....he could not even get in.

the west end does NOT have the sea wall. They are completely exposed
0 likes   

lele25
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#13 Postby lele25 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:04 am

Husband and brother are loading up the truck right now with food, water, and chain saws. They are planning on going as far as they can tonight. They are hoping to get my aunt & uncle in the afternoon or evening and bring them home. I don't think that they will be able to get too far, but they are insisting on going. I'm sure everything will be flooded, now I have to worry about them too. I wish people would listen to warnings...esp when the words "certain death" are used.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby mf_dolphin » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:06 am

They're reporting the eraliest they'll make a decision on letting people back on Galveston Island in noon tomorrow. Saying a prayer here for your family.
0 likes   

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby dhweather » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:09 am

mf_dolphin wrote:They're reporting the eraliest they'll make a decision on letting people back on Galveston Island in noon tomorrow. Saying a prayer here for your family.

Indeed - there are thousands of famlies on the island that need them
0 likes   

lele25
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#16 Postby lele25 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:17 am

Recieved a text from them very early this morning, stating that they are safe and that the house was holding very well. Their neighbor's son lives on the main land and will be there to get them as soon as possible. I wish they would have given more details, but it is a major relief to us, knowing that they are safe. I hope everyone else was just as fortunate.
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby abajan » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:23 pm

lele25 wrote:Recieved a text from them very early this morning, stating that they are safe and that the house was holding very well. Their neighbor's son lives on the main land and will be there to get them as soon as possible. I wish they would have given more details, but it is a major relief to us, knowing that they are safe. I hope everyone else was just as fortunate.
Super news, lele25! Prayers answered.
0 likes   

GraysonDave
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#18 Postby GraysonDave » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:32 pm

Fabulous news. I have to admit I was not very optimistic.
0 likes   

Deathray
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#19 Postby Deathray » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:24 pm

You should realize that non-emergency personnel will not be allowed to get to them for a while... they're just not allowed in at all
0 likes   

I-wall
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#20 Postby I-wall » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:43 pm

That's great news....very happy to hear this. Like others have said, given the situation I was not optimistic about the situation last night when I read this. Glad they're ok.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”