Galveston...family

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

lele25
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: Galveston...family

#21 Postby lele25 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:53 pm

Thank you everyone. Prior to the storm they did put the generator on the lift and got it to 2nd story balcony, so they are able to use fans and the fridge. They are no longer alone, other people in the area are now staying at their house. My uncle says that the house did wonderful.....parts of the roof missing but the main structure, which was stucco, is intact. As I said previously, the neighbor's son had planned to get them, but they are now saying that they might as well stay, because even if they go to main land they won't have power. They have not walked around but said that from what they could see, it looks like a war zone. They have good friends that had a home about 6 houses down, it it completely gone, fortunately they evacuated.
0 likes   

KBBOCA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Formerly Boca Raton, often West Africa. Currently Charlotte NC

#22 Postby KBBOCA » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:42 pm

lele, I'm so glad your family are safe. Thank you for letting us know!
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#23 Postby Stephanie » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:00 am

I'm so glad that they are alright. I wasn't very optimistic either.
0 likes   

Rainband

#24 Postby Rainband » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:24 am

Great news :D
0 likes   

alicia83
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#25 Postby alicia83 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:47 pm

lele25,

What are you hearing from your relatives? Has anyone been out there to rescue them?
They do need to be rescued if they are truly on the west end of Galveston Island in one of those communities past the seawall as portions of that stretch of beach have not had any search and rescue teams in there as of yet as reported by Houston TV station KHOU.
0 likes   

baygirl_1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#26 Postby baygirl_1 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:33 pm

Lele25,
I'm glad to hear your family on Galveston Island made it through the storm okay, but let me echo alicia83's concerns for their safety now. As I was driving around for work today I was listening to KHOU TV on XM Radio's Emergency Alert channel. They reported that the mayor in Galveston is asking for everyone to leave the island so they can clean up. The living condition are, as they reported, beyond awful with no power, no water, and no sewer. Also, there's no gas on the island (so their generator won't be running for long, I'm afraid) and they report that the mosquitos are terrible. I hope your family was able to get on one of those buses getting them out to San Antonio. Then perhaps you (or someone else in the family) could go get them. Please let us know how they're doing.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#27 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:51 pm

While I do echo everyone's concerns, especially since I live in Houston and know what the conditions are like on the West end of Galveston Island, I do think that because the news crews have been all over that end of the island(yes I do know how big and spread out it is). and I do mean on the ground also, not just in the air, I think they would have been in contact with most of those still left by now and would have reported on a large group such as that which would have in turn alerted authorities to their presence. Obvioulsy even though SAR can not, at this point, have checked every residence out there , I am not fearful for their safety as much as wanting them to get off the island since I do not think they will be able to sustain themselves for as long a period of time as they will need to. Things are not expected to even approach normal on the West end of the island for at least a month. Lele, please pm me with location information and I will try to contact some local authorities to ascertain any information I can concerning them.
0 likes   

alicia83
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#28 Postby alicia83 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:45 pm

vbhoutex,

Glad to hear all portions of the island have been covered! Like you say, I'm sure they've been rescued and are ok.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”