Hurricane Ike Aftermath Pictures

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

3ABirdMan
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: Hurricane Ike Aftermath Pictures

#21 Postby 3ABirdMan » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:25 am

vbhoutex wrote:
Diva wrote:Still evacuated to Katy. Going home tomorrow though, electricity or not!

Here's the site that has helped us stay up to date on what's happening in Orange. Thought I'd share it with y'all....
http://kogt.smugmug.com/gallery/5953607_Nn2hu#371134406_jLgnE
I know that Gilchrist, Crystal Beach and Bolivar all had horrible devastation. But please don't forget about those in Bridge City and Orange who lost alot to flooding. From what I hear, there aren't many homes in Bridge City that didn't get flooding.

20 homes in the entire community did not get water in them. I know Bridge City is not a thriving metropolis like Houston, but it isn't a commmunity of 40 or 50 homes either. Houston will take quite a while to get back to normal, but there are entire communities basaically wiped out all along the SE TX coast and inland. I know some areas 15 miles inland had 13 feet of surge.

And yes SE Texas will come back bigger and better thank you.

A little update, responding to the above quotes.....

I still haven't made it home yet, as we are watching over my wife's mom and dad - he is on oxygen 24/7, with high suseptibility to any irritants causing major lung problems. With his condition, we are trying to keep them out of the area as long as we can, until one of us in the family has power restored and the air gets a little "cleaner". But we have family there working to clean things up ASAP and helpig out each other and friends and neigbors as well. We are getting lots of reports back from them, as well as the from the local media who have done an excellent job of covering the area.

From all of the information I have, there are now about 40 homes that did NOT take on water, and that is in a town of approximately 8,700 population. The only food place to stay dry was a Taco Bell - all other fast-food places, the Wal-Mart, as well as our only grocery store took from 2' to a reported 6' of water.
0 likes   

aelliott209
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave
Location: illinois but my 1/2 my heart is on the MS Gulfcoast!

Re: Re:

#22 Postby aelliott209 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:01 pm

Canelaw99 wrote:
HURAKAN wrote::uarrow: It's a house that was built to resist hurricanes.

http://www.bolivarchamber.org/Gilchrist.aspx

Thanks! Guess it worked :) Other places along the Gulf ought to check into those being codes/mandatory IMO.

I'm not sure how the hurricane proof/resistant houses faired on the inside from Ike, but I know of at least one in either Longbeach, MS or the far east side of Pass Christian (not sure of the exact street address) that was gutted during Katrina. It stood pretty high-higher than alot of that area-up on a hill. The structure stood but the windows largely were smashed out by the huge surge and the interior was completely trashed from what I have been told. A number of the neighboring homes being built now are being done in the same manor as the home that stood, but that home is still under construction. Standing doesnt mean structurally stable, and definitely doesnt mean ok on the inside. But I do agree-it would be great if more homes were built that way along the coast.
0 likes   

Diva
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#23 Postby Diva » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:42 pm

3ABirdMan wrote:
vbhoutex wrote:
Diva wrote:Still evacuated to Katy. Going home tomorrow though, electricity or not!

Here's the site that has helped us stay up to date on what's happening in Orange. Thought I'd share it with y'all....
http://kogt.smugmug.com/gallery/5953607_Nn2hu#371134406_jLgnE
I know that Gilchrist, Crystal Beach and Bolivar all had horrible devastation. But please don't forget about those in Bridge City and Orange who lost alot to flooding. From what I hear, there aren't many homes in Bridge City that didn't get flooding.

20 homes in the entire community did not get water in them. I know Bridge City is not a thriving metropolis like Houston, but it isn't a commmunity of 40 or 50 homes either. Houston will take quite a while to get back to normal, but there are entire communities basaically wiped out all along the SE TX coast and inland. I know some areas 15 miles inland had 13 feet of surge.

And yes SE Texas will come back bigger and better thank you.

A little update, responding to the above quotes.....

I still haven't made it home yet, as we are watching over my wife's mom and dad - he is on oxygen 24/7, with high suseptibility to any irritants causing major lung problems. With his condition, we are trying to keep them out of the area as long as we can, until one of us in the family has power restored and the air gets a little "cleaner". But we have family there working to clean things up ASAP and helpig out each other and friends and neigbors as well. We are getting lots of reports back from them, as well as the from the local media who have done an excellent job of covering the area.

From all of the information I have, there are now about 40 homes that did NOT take on water, and that is in a town of approximately 8,700 population. The only food place to stay dry was a Taco Bell - all other fast-food places, the Wal-Mart, as well as our only grocery store took from 2' to a reported 6' of water.

Hey there Birdman....so sorry about your house and your community. I will be praying for you all as you begin your clean-up and recovery process.
I drove through BC on the way back to Orange today and it looks like everyone is having garage sales with all of their belongings out on their driveways. It's a sad sight!
0 likes   

digitaldahling
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re:

#24 Postby digitaldahling » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:52 am

stormy1970al wrote:People choose to live where they do because they love to wake up each morning and smell the salt air. Hear the ocean waves crash on the sand. I guess you would have to live in such an area to get the glimspe of why people choose to live in such areas. For example Gulf Shores and Orange Beach are very close to the Gulf of Mexico but they are striving communities in Baldwin County. They have schools, shopping centers, doctors, etc like all communities have. They are also prone to flooding. I guess it is a decision that one chooses. I would rather live in a hurricane prone area than an area that has tornados or earthquakes. Maybe it is because I have lived here all of my life.

For example my manager at the store I work at is from up North and when Gustav was in the Gulf and we were put on hurricane warnings down here he made the comment that he was scared XXXXXXXX of hurricanes but give him an ice storm any day. Ice Storms down here would scared the daylights out of me. I guess it depends on where you live. Another words all areas have their taste of natural disasters and all you can do is deal with it and make the best out of it.

I know right now TX is hurting. Hey it hurts to see those pics because many of us on the Gulf Coast have been there at some point in our lives. But I know one thing...TX will rebuild and they will be stronger. Ike will never be forgotten but I know that Texans will not let Ike bring them down for long. They will survive!

Don't forget the seafood. You can't find seafood this good anywhere else.

I pray for all those affected in Texas, some of whom are close friends of mine, friends we've only reached through texting. Kemah, Port Neches, Galveston, Friendswood, etc. They all made it but all suffered some kind of damage, some worse than others. Especially the one in Kemah.

All one needs to do is remember the Mississippi Gulf Coast right after Katrina or Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, AL right after Ivan. People come back because it's home.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#25 Postby southerngale » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:39 pm

Here's some pictures from the Beaumont Enterprise. They're mostly from Beaumont, Port Arthur, Orange, Bridge City, Sabine Pass, Nederland, Lumberton, etc. and also from Crystal Beach, High Island, Sea Rim, Gilchrist, etc.

It's so sad to see your community devastated like this. The pictures of families who lost everything, trying to dry family pictures in the sun, their homes looking like a war zone, and the faces of despair... it's hard to take. I'm still in Fort Worth and while I know my family has some damage, we didn't lose everything like some of our neighbors. Ike caused a tremendous amount of destruction across a large portion of coastline, as well as inland.

My prayers are with everyone affected by Ike.

Sept. 13: Ike surges ashore
A slide show of the aftermath of Hurricane Ike in Southeast Texas... mostly Beaumont.

Sept. 14: Destruction and Devastation

Sept. 15: The aftermath of Ike
Photo gallery of images shot on Monday from the aftermath of Hurricane Ike in Southeast Texas... mostly the Golden Triangle.

Sept. 15: Ike from the air
An aerial view of some of the destruction wrought by Hurricane Ike.

Sept. 16: Recovery Continues
Photos taken Tuesday of the aftermath of Hurricane Ike in Southeast Texas.

Sept. 17: Assessing the damage
Ongoing photo coverage of the aftermath of Hurricane Ike in Southeast Texas.

Sept. 18: Picking up the pieces
Continuing visual coverage of the aftermath of Hurricane Ike in Southeast Texas.

Sept. 18: Aerial views
Photographs taken from the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department helicopter.

Sept. 19: Coming Together
Pics from the ongoing recovery effort in the Golden Triangle area.
0 likes   

Roxy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#26 Postby Roxy » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:12 am

Clear Lake:

0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#27 Postby O Town » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:19 pm

I can't see the photos vbhoutex. Just the dreaded red X.
0 likes   

Diva
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#28 Postby Diva » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:11 am

Latest figures say that there were only 14 homes that didn't have flooding in Bridge City......
Please continue to pray and support this community. There were many families and businesses and churches that didn't have flood insurance.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#29 Postby southerngale » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:32 am

We have a lot of friends and acquaintances in Bridge City and it's just horrible there. I don't know if anyone looked at the pics I posted above, but there's a lot of pics of the devastation there... of what's left of families' homes. It's so sad. :(

Here's a few pics of the surge in Bridge City. I don't know when these were taken or at what point the water was at its highest.

Bridge City Texas Avenue.....looking south

Hwy 87 looking south into Bridge City

Hopper Lumber from the 87 Bridge

RoundBunch and 87 looking west
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#30 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:00 pm

O Town wrote:I can't see the photos vbhoutex. Just the dreaded red X.

I can't get the pictures to come in for some reason. They were there yesterday after I posted it. :?: :?: :?: :?: I just deleted the post.
0 likes   

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby Shoshana » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:06 pm

Some of the Galveston web cams are back up ... somehow running on gas generators and aircards...
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#32 Postby O Town » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:45 pm

:uarrow: Wow, the pictures from The Spot Cam look pretty darn good. Its located at a restaurant right on Seawall, looks like the clean up is well underway. At least at that particular spot.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#33 Postby vbhoutex » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:45 pm

Shoshana wrote:Some of the Galveston web cams are back up ... somehow running on gas generators and aircards...

I don't believe those are live pics. It is the same picture no matter what time. If it was working they would be dark right now and they aren't on any link. Not saying the cleanup isn't progressing, but reports we are getting don't indicate it is as rosy as those pictures look. Ihope I am wrong, but I don't think I am. Basically about 3/4 of the Island is considered uninhabitable right now. Red Cross is currently in the process of setting up another shelter on the island to hold 1500 people.
0 likes   

Diva
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#34 Postby Diva » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:28 am

I continue to be shocked by what I see out in Orange County. My job requires me to go around to our customer base and check on the equipment we have out at their locations. Did y'all know mold can upholster an entire office chair in just under one week? I do now! Yuck!

I'm finding out that the community of Cove in West Orange got hit as hard as Bridge City did. I was in a church yesterday that had had several feet of water in it.....mud EVERYWHERE!
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#35 Postby O Town » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:23 pm

vbhoutex wrote:
Shoshana wrote:Some of the Galveston web cams are back up ... somehow running on gas generators and aircards...

I don't believe those are live pics. It is the same picture no matter what time. If it was working they would be dark right now and they aren't on any link. Not saying the cleanup isn't progressing, but reports we are getting don't indicate it is as rosy as those pictures look. Ihope I am wrong, but I don't think I am. Basically about 3/4 of the Island is considered uninhabitable right now. Red Cross is currently in the process of setting up another shelter on the island to hold 1500 people.

Well it has the right date stamp on them. I believe the one at that restaurant doesn't show after dark images and the cam turns off at a certain time everyday. When I looked yesterday the tables on the deck were empty and now there are people there. Maybe its a bug and replaying old images? I dunno but the date is correct. Oh and it looks like that palm in the background is pretty beat up looking/wind thrashed. I will try to remember to look tomorrow during the day. I am curious now. I guess I am trying to be hopeful.

EDIT: from their website Not sure when this was written but maybe right after Ike, and now back up and running 2 weeks after landfall??????
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#36 Postby HURAKAN » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:31 pm

0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#37 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:31 pm

O Town wrote:
vbhoutex wrote:

Well it has the right date stamp on them. I believe the one at that restaurant doesn't show after dark images and the cam turns off at a certain time everyday. When I looked yesterday the tables on the deck were empty and now there are people there. Maybe its a bug and replaying old images? I dunno but the date is correct. Oh and it looks like that palm in the background is pretty beat up looking/wind thrashed. I will try to remember to look tomorrow during the day. I am curious now. I guess I am trying to be hopeful.

EDIT: from their website Not sure when this was written but maybe right after Ike, and now back up and running 2 weeks after landfall??????

The picture currently showing is definitely different from the other day. And from the website they are definitely up and running. Very surprised!!!
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#38 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:01 am

Not sure which thread to put this in, but thisis part of the latest email from Jeff-it addresses some surge questions.

Hurricane Ike Recovery:

CenterPoint has completed the major power restoration yesterday.

The following is the damage assessment that has been conducted over the past 2 weeks. I went to Galveston Island on Monday and Bolivar on Tuesday with a HCFCD survey team to gather high water marks. I have attached a before picture (taken in May when I was in Galveston for the State Hurricane Conference) and the after (taken on Monday).

The first week after Ike the focus was across SE Harris County as this area was the easiest to reach. High water marks were obtain along Clear Creek from I-45 to Seabrook and then NNE up the NW side of Galveston Bay to Baytown and then up the lower San Jacinto River and W up the Houston Ship Channel. Marks were stopped at various locations along the Ship Channel where the Port of Houston coordinated they would be doing markings. I visited all these area except for Baytown. The data suggest the surge was 11-13 feet on the west side of Galveston Bay including at the heavily damaged Kemah boardwalk. There was almost no visible debris lines outside structures and we gained entry into several houses that remained standing to find good mud marks unaffected by the wave action. We are still putting together an extent map in conjunction with FEMA...but many locations E of HWY 146 and S of Nasa Rd 1 were inundated. The surge was noted in flood hydrographs up Clear Creek to FM 528 and the San Jacinto River to US HWY 90. Horrible damage occurred at Seabrook and Kemah and then again at Shoreacres S of La Porte. Homes in this area were heavily gutted...some collapsed.

Around Clear Lake the surge inundated many structures N of HWY 96 to the Lake and nearly every structure S of Nasa Rd 1...hard hit was Nassau Bay where several homes had 3-4 feet of water...wave action was reduced and the structures while flooded were not gutted.

E Galveston County:

I surveyed the portion of Galveston County from the TX City dike to Kemah including San Leon and Bacliff. The damage was extensive along the beach front with heavy wave action damage to all first tier homes...many were completely destroyed. Surge values ranged from 12-14 feet at all locations in Galveston County. Once again most mark were taken inside standing structures. Air survey of the TX City dike showed wave overtopping on the west side due to the intense S eyewall. The dike was not overtopped by the surge...Galveston County is conducting 65 marks on the levee.

Intense WSW flow ripped all the structures in the town of Freddiesville to pieces and pushed them up against the TX City dike. The towns of Bayou Vista and Tiki Island were heavily damaged...mainly the break away floors and buildings on the ground...wave action looked muted in this region. Hundreds of boats were pushed onto the I-45 traffic lanes both north and south of the causeway.

Galveston Island:

80-90% of the Island was inundated. The worst damage was along the backside of the Island near Moody Gardens and the Airport, on the west end and the far east end. Very fast WSW flow affected the backside of the Island. Debris was wrapped around poles facing the WSW as the water must have been trying to escape through San Luis Pass...all that was flowing across Bolivar. The surge was 8-11 feet on the back side...there was little wave damage...but the high velocity flow resulted in heavy gutting of structures along Offouts Bayou.

On the west end...extreme wave action and heavy beach erosion and undermining. After the seawall 3-6 story condos where undermined...I could walk under them. A few homes along the first tier were lost on the west end..others will be torn down. The undermining was extensive all the way to San Luis Pass. We estimated at least 200 ft of beach and all the dunes were lost...now piled along 3005. Tammarra Beach was heavily damaged along with Jamaica Beach...but most homes remained standing. The erosion in some places was 4-6 feet below where the slab use to be.

Galveston E end: Estimated surge of 12-15 feet. The seawall was overtopped from Ferry Rd to the east end of the Island. The seawall was not overtopped along the main parts...although large rocks at its base were lofted by the wave action and placed on top of the seawall near the 1900 Storm Memorial. There was significant wave overtopping, but only a few structures appeared to take on any water. East beach structures were heavily damaged and at the far east end the fishing houses were gone...all I found was a 3 foot cinder box wall left. The concrete picnic tables were sheared in half and nearly buried under sand...but the brand new housing development survived the surge and waves...if the wave could not reach it...it survived.

We returned back through UTMB...all flooded and the by the Strand and Pier 21 all flooded...estimating around 10 feet.

Bolivar:

I have only seen destruction of this magnitude once before…in the Double Creek subdivision at Jarrell, TX after the F5 tornado in 1997.

We picked up the surge line on HWY 124 17 miles inland from the coast. From that point on...the marshy dead fields were full of lumber and stuff...all from Bolivar. We passed High Island...which did not flood...it is about 20-30 feet above sea level.. and then entered Bolivar on HWY 87.

Except for 4 homes...all of Rollover Pass was wiped...not even the pilings remained. We stopped at a cell tower station and tried to obtain a mark. We climbed to the top of the steel deck where the generator was running and did not find any debris...about 22 feet off the ground. However the large bolts holding the generator in place were sheared off..only two remained...we think from the wave action.

It was the same all the way down to the Ferry Landing were we obtained a 16 foot mark inside the TXDOT Ferry Landing building...inside a back room...sand was inside the hanging lights.

At Crystal Beach it looks like the first two tiers of beach front homes were mostly destroyed. I would estimate at least 1000-1500 homes were completely destroyed, the rest left standing have major damage, and only a few have minor damage.

By far the most stunning images were hundreds of cars and trucks spread across the marsh area half buried in sand. I cannot image anyone who stayed survived...

We marked two more cell towers and the Post Office in Crystal Beach (4" inside).

We then traveled to Smith Point and Oak Island... obtained a 13-15 foot surge line at Smith Point...and still waiting on the data back from Oak Island...the surge topped the bluff along FM 563 which is nearly 20 feet elevation...dead cattle lined the now dry ditches.

Also noted extensive wind damage E of Smith Point N along FM 563. Entire sections of pines and oaks snapped and uprooted...all points NW or WNW...eyewall winds I suppose.

From the preliminary data the surge looks highest in the head of Trinity Bay and the mouth of the Trinity River were the I-10 bridge was overtopped. Would estimate possible 20' in this region. Across Bolivar and most of Chambers County a 14-17 foot surge.

A 10-14 foot surge affected the BPT area and the surge was about 1-3 feet higher in SW LA than what happened during Rita. The surge at Sabine Pass was a record breaking that of Audrey in 1957.
0 likes   

TornaDOH!
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#39 Postby TornaDOH! » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:56 am

Wow! This forum could seriously be used as a library of sorts for weather events over the past five years or so. I hadn't thought about Ike for a while until now. She was quite the powerful beast. My brother and sister in law live over in Dallas and they were scared even by the weather that approached that far off of the coast. It is always scary when a storm of that magnitude is able to creep its way in to the Gulf of Mexico. And that is why I will never live in Houston.

DOH! :eek:
0 likes   
James V. III
Oklahoma State University Class of 1990
Assistant Professor of Engineering - University Of Oklahoma
"Not even a stack of wholesale sunglasses could protect you from my shine!"
Weather Blog - http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/canopy

Metalicwx220

#40 Postby Metalicwx220 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:24 pm

TornaDOH! wrote:Wow! This forum could seriously be used as a library of sorts for weather events over the past five years or so. I hadn't thought about Ike for a while until now. She was quite the powerful beast. My brother and sister in law live over in Dallas and they were scared even by the weather that approached that far off of the coast. It is always scary when a storm of that magnitude is able to creep its way in to the Gulf of Mexico. And that is why I will never live in Houston.

DOH! :eek:

She??? LOL I think ike was a boy if hanna was a girl.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”