Hurricane Ike Recovery

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

Re: Hurricane Ike Recovery

#41 Postby GalvestonDuck » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:22 pm

Finally back in my home, five and a half months later and minus one car (non-storm-related) and one very dear best friend (post-storm death).

Bring on 2012.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#42 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:40 am

I'm glad you're finally back home Duckie!! I hope things continue to improve for you!!!
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#43 Postby GalvestonDuck » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:45 am

Minus one car and one very dear best friend is not what I'd consider continuing to improve. Best I could hope for is death.
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

#44 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:12 pm

Interesting thing I saw on TWC's 'Storm Stories', two Darwin candidates, engaged couple. The woman worked the bait shop at the Galveston Fishing Pier, and had an apartment above it. She and the BF decided "we have thunderstorms worse than a Cat 2" and decide to ride out the storm on the fishing pier.

When parts of pier start washing away, they call 911 who inform them they are on their own.

Bait shop fell in the ocean, apartment, while damaged, survived. Climbed out through a skylight and were rescued by helicopter after the storm.

FEMA apparently wants to make the owners of the nearby 61st Street Pier rebuild the pier 19 feet ASL, instead of the old 11 feet ASL, making it nearly impossible for the pier to conform with the Americans w/ Disabilities Act.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#45 Postby CajunMama » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:17 pm

Animal Planet show, Animal Cops Houston, is focusing on the aftermath of Ike and the animals from Houston and Galveston. I'm sure this episode will be on again. They're showing damage in Galveston. They're also showing the SPCA staff entering homes of people (with permission from the owners) in Galveston who left their pets behind.

What i find interesting is one of the workers said Galveston provided crates for these animals to be evacuated but the owners chose to leave their animals behind.
0 likes   

dizzyfish
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#46 Postby dizzyfish » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:38 pm

CajunMama wrote:Animal Planet show, Animal Cops Houston, is focusing on the aftermath of Ike and the animals from Houston and Galveston. I'm sure this episode will be on again. They're showing damage in Galveston. They're also showing the SPCA staff entering homes of people (with permission from the owners) in Galveston who left their pets behind.

What i find interesting is one of the workers said Galveston provided crates for these animals to be evacuated but the owners chose to leave their animals behind.

OMG!!! How could they possibly do that! :grrr:
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#47 Postby southerngale » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:29 pm

4 Ike victims identified by DNA
April 28, 2009 - 6:15 PM
Jennifer Heathcock

The Galveston County Medical Examiner's Office has identified another 4 victims of hurricane Ike by using DNA.

A spokesman for the medical examiner's office says all 4 of the victims were found on Goat Island between October and December of last year.

Ike hit in September.

Officials sent DNA from family members to the University of North Texas to allow for comparison with the victims' DNA.

The victims were 79, 52, 42, and 82 years old. All of them were from Port Bolivar.

The bodies will be released to family members.

The body of one woman found on Pelican Island hasn't been identified. 11 people are still listed as missing after hurricane Ike, 4 from the Bolivar Peninsula where some of the worst destruction occurred.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#48 Postby CajunMama » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:58 pm

ID on Hurricane Ike victim year after storm

January 4, 2010

ANAHUAC, Texas (AP) — Remains found in Chambers County nearly a year after Hurricane Ike hit have been identified as a man reported missing since the storm.

The Chambers County Sheriff's Office on Monday announced DNA testing confirmed the remains were of 61-year-old Harry E. Bingham Jr.

Authorities say Bingham was living in Galveston County, on Bolivar Peninsula, when Ike came ashore on Sept. 13, 2008.

Skeletal remains were recovered Sept. 8, 2009, in southern Chambers County. A relative of Bingham's provided DNA for the comparison.

Ike was blamed for at least 72 deaths in the U.S., including more than three dozen in Texas.

ID on Hurricane Ike Victim Year After Storm
0 likes   

MiamiensisWx

#49 Postby MiamiensisWx » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:42 pm

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know the story behind all the rumors about unreported deaths on the Bolivar Peninsula? I do not believe in conspiracy theories, but I have been wondering for a long time as to how the rumors spread and whether they were discounted (I know the official toll was relatively low).
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#50 Postby GalvestonDuck » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:17 pm

MiamiensisWx wrote:I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know the story behind all the rumors about unreported deaths on the Bolivar Peninsula? I do not believe in conspiracy theories, but I have been wondering for a long time as to how the rumors spread and whether they were discounted (I know the official toll was relatively low).

Last I heard there were 84 deaths in Texas and 16 still missing. At one point, there were a few recovered, but yet-to-be unidentified victims. However, I believe I remember reading about the last one being identified a couple of years ago.

As for the missing, some speculate that they were washed out to sea. Then again, there's always a chance someone will discover more remains somewhere. There are small sandbars, islands, and marshes that I'm sure no one has searched because there's just so much water and so many areas in which a body could come to rest after the surge and they aren't compatible for boats or feet to travel though.

As for the supposed thousands of dead bodies in trees, plenty of people here have talked about it over the years. Most agree that they weren't all dead and weren't all bodies. Some were injured victims, some were just hanging on for dear life, and some weren't even people at all but debris (clothes, life vests, blankets, canvas beach chairs). Sand, wind, and water made visual identification difficult during the storm.

(Sorry about the delay in replying. I peek back in here every once in a while to find an old link or image for reference.)
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Re:

#51 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:53 am

GalvestonDuck wrote:
MiamiensisWx wrote:I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know the story behind all the rumors about unreported deaths on the Bolivar Peninsula? I do not believe in conspiracy theories, but I have been wondering for a long time as to how the rumors spread and whether they were discounted (I know the official toll was relatively low).

Last I heard there were 84 deaths in Texas and 16 still missing. At one point, there were a few recovered, but yet-to-be unidentified victims. However, I believe I remember reading about the last one being identified a couple of years ago.

As for the missing, some speculate that they were washed out to sea. Then again, there's always a chance someone will discover more remains somewhere. There are small sandbars, islands, and marshes that I'm sure no one has searched because there's just so much water and so many areas in which a body could come to rest after the surge and they aren't compatible for boats or feet to travel though.

As for the supposed thousands of dead bodies in trees, plenty of people here have talked about it over the years. Most agree that they weren't all dead and weren't all bodies. Some were injured victims, some were just hanging on for dear life, and some weren't even people at all but debris (clothes, life vests, blankets, canvas beach chairs). Sand, wind, and water made visual identification difficult during the storm.

(Sorry about the delay in replying. I peek back in here every once in a while to find an old link or image for reference.)

First of all it is nice to see you again GD!!!
Miami I have a question too. What about the thousands of Miami area dead bodies and need for 10s of thousands of body bags after Andrew. I still see that come up every once in a while. Has there ever been a definitive explanation of that?
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

MathewCox
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#52 Postby MathewCox » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:17 pm

Hurricane Ike was a blast...I am still building my house from 2008
0 likes   

Highteeld
Category 5
Category 5

#53 Postby Highteeld » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:39 pm