Message From Katrina Survivors to Ike Survivors

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Bluefrog
Category 1
Category 1

Message From Katrina Survivors to Ike Survivors

#1 Postby Bluefrog » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:27 pm

All of us on this board, people from all over the country, past hurricane survivors and especially those people affected by Katrina have constantly sent our thoughts to y'all. We understand what you are going thru. Even though the media says Katrina was alot worse that doesn't change what you are going thru specifically as an individual. A damaged home...a flooded home ....a destroyed home is just that ... no matter which disaster. The best advice I can give you is .... take one hour at a time ... be patient ..... be understanding ... pace yourself and DO NOT let yourself get overwhelmed. You are all in the same boat .... work together. It does get better ...... it will take time.

When you get frustrated take a step back and walk away ..... don't take it out on yourself, your spouse, your friends and family. Just take a deep breath and get yourself composed.

As for beer drinkers ...... do not get in the habit of drinking all day all the time .... so many people I know after Katrina fell into that trap ...find another way to divert your attention.
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Message From Katrina Survivors to Ike Survivors

#2 Postby Ptarmigan » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:16 pm

Good advice! Thanks for expressing your thoughts for the people who went through Ike.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#3 Postby Dionne » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:40 am

Something else to keep in mind. It's okay to cry. It's a normal emotion. Victims will begin working long hours. Fatigue will become common place. Remember that just because you look good on the outside doesn't mean your doing that well inside. Many of us Katrina survivors discovered we developed mental health issues. If you experience emotions outside your normal behavior......heavy drinking, drugging, hopelessness, anger, etc. etc......go see a doctor. From personal experience, I thought I was one of those guys that could handle just about anything.....I discovered otherwise.
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Ptarmigan » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:04 am

Dionne wrote:Something else to keep in mind. It's okay to cry. It's a normal emotion. Victims will begin working long hours. Fatigue will become common place. Remember that just because you look good on the outside doesn't mean your doing that well inside. Many of us Katrina survivors discovered we developed mental health issues. If you experience emotions outside your normal behavior......heavy drinking, drugging, hopelessness, anger, etc. etc......go see a doctor. From personal experience, I thought I was one of those guys that could handle just about anything.....I discovered otherwise.

It's been really sad for us. Hurricane Ike came two days after the 9/11 anniversary. This whole week is just been bad for me, the worst since 9/11.
0 likes   

Bluefrog
Category 1
Category 1

#5 Postby Bluefrog » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:24 pm

That is so true ...... everyone is going to cope with the hurricane differently ... some get busy...some cry....some drink....some will be in denial ...just know that everyone deals with it their own way and in their own time frame..... i was one to get busy and I would get angry at those (early on in the first few weeks after Katrina) who sat around and did nothing ..... when everything is gone and destroyed it was very overwhelming and some people just dont know when and where to start .... just be patient ... it all eventually falls into place.

It does get better ... I promise.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”