Houston Photos

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

bzukajo
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Houston Photos

#1 Postby bzukajo » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:51 pm

I flew into Houston on Thursday the 11th. I just flew back last night. I have to say it was quite an experience, especially at about 4:00 AM Saturday. I had planned on moving my girlfriend to a new apartment for months. We were supposed to do it on Saturday. Instead we were able to make the move on Friday before the storm. I am glad we did not wait. The old apartment lost the roof during the storm. The new apartment was very secure. Amazingly we did not loose power!....I could not believe it! All around us, no one had power or water, we had both (and 30 gallons extra which we distributed to the grad students who had none.) Even at the height of the storm, after the eye passed and the wind shifted direction, the lights did not even flicker! I could see the flashes of transformers blowing all night long, but we somehow kept power.

Anyways, as soon as the storm was over my girlfriend and I went out to take photos. These are mostly from the MD Anderson and Baylor College of Medicine Housing area and the medical center.

Follow this link for the photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bzukajo/sets/72157607361697973/

If any one knows of a gas station that does not have a 5 mile line in Houston please let me know. My girlfriend is now at ¼ a tank and will need to fill up soon!
0 likes   

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Houston Photos

#2 Postby Shoshana » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:02 pm

Glad y'all are ok!

I went to http://www.houstongasprices.com/ and followed the link to the Houston messageboard. They're recommending a few places to check

Houston gas station map - Houston Chronicle

I would have thought other local media outlets would have info too but I haven't seen it....
0 likes   

bzukajo
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby bzukajo » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:06 pm

Wow! Thanks!...The shell station just down the street has gas, but the line is at least a mile or two!
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

#4 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:09 pm

I waited for 1 car, maybe 2 minutes, at the Chevron Station on the I-45 service road at the Kuykendahl Exit.

Citgo station on Bammel-North Houston near my house had the whatchamacallit thing that shades a person from sun and rain when pumping gas toppled over and smashed up, and the strip mall it was in lost part of its roof.

But mostly tree, roof, fence and power line damage in my part of the world, and I have power and cable back.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”