OMAR: Aftermath=PR / VI / N.Leewards

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

bahamaswx
Category 5
Category 5

#181 Postby bahamaswx » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:59 am

Hope all my caribbean neighbours are alright. :)
0 likes   

HUC
Category 2
Category 2

Re: ATL OMAR: Obs,Prep,Local Statements,PR,VI,N.Leewards

#182 Postby HUC » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:32 am

Horrible sea......all roads closed in the carribean coast,all schools closed also in that area.Sweels are destroying the coasts...Stay tuned
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#183 Postby Gustywind » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:41 am

HUC wrote:Horrible sea......all roads closed in the carribean coast,all schools closed also in that area.Sweels are destroying the coasts...Stay tuned

Tkanks my friend HUC :) for all these infos :wink: i heard that from the radio this morning seems that it's hoorible at "Rivières Des Pères". Nothing to report in my area yesterday night, stay tuned...
0 likes   

caribepr
Category 5
Category 5

#184 Postby caribepr » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:42 am

The sun is shining through an overcast sky. Ground is saturated. It is pretty much flat calm here. We were very lucky.
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#185 Postby Gustywind » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:43 am

caribepr wrote:The sun is shining through an overcast sky. Ground is saturated. It is pretty much flat calm here. We were very lucky.

Glad to see that in your area, that's good news :) !
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#186 Postby Gustywind » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:08 am

Hearing the radio as HUC said prefectly : numerous damages have been reported in some beaches of the carib coast of Guadeloupe, Bouillante, Pointe-Noire, Deshaies... stay tuned.
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#187 Postby Gustywind » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:11 am

Grey alert for St Marteen right now...
0 likes   

BatzVI
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#188 Postby BatzVI » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:32 am

Good morning all....we dodged a bullet.....wind got gusty when I went to bed, only time I heard the "whistle".....power went out twice, and at this time, still isn't back on....no damage here at my place other than a couple of breadfruit that landed on my deck....Fema is out accessing the roads, so I guess curfew is still on.....will know more later if I can get out and about.....sun shining, but with clouds.....Magens is brown from runoff and also Hull Bay.....pretty choppy also....that's all from my place...hope everyone is safe....
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#189 Postby cycloneye » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:41 am

Great news from there BatVI.Now,lets wait for bvigal and Barbara reports,but thankfully they also dodged the big bullet as that eye never touched any island.
0 likes   

Patti
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#190 Postby Patti » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:48 am

hi, writing in from St Maarten. sun is out here after a really long night, lots of trees down, the neighbours satelite dish was ripped out of the concrete and a few roof tiles in our garden but otherwise all seems ok. havent been out yet due to the 10am curfew but will be headed out to town shortly. hope everyone else is alright.
Patti
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#191 Postby Gustywind » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:16 am

Not good news here at HUC location: Basse Terre (after the rough sea who have destroyed the roads and posed damages on the beaches) two fires are observed, unhopefully there's toxics smokes and many people in vicinity have been evacuated what a mess in Basse Terre, the authorities are very busy, fireman are coming up from other locations to stop the fire.... :eek:. I will give you more but very unpleasant and a bit horrific day for Basse Terre....
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#192 Postby Gustywind » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:19 am

All the citizens in the vicinity have been forced to closed their windows, and stay at home by the authorities :eek: :eek: :eek:. Seems that the fire has begun at 830 AM this morning a perimeter of security have been placed...
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#193 Postby Gustywind » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:24 am

BLACK DAY for Basse Terre , the nightmare!!! Numerous floodings continues , the swell is always strong, ohh it's horrible :cry: hope that you're safe HUC and your family, keep us informed during the next hours if you can.... :( :roll:
0 likes   

caribepr
Category 5
Category 5

#194 Postby caribepr » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:27 am

Very sorry to hear this awful news :(
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#195 Postby Gustywind » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:39 am

caribepr wrote:Very sorry to hear this awful news :(

OH yeah i understand no prob, tkanks i appreciate el APOYO :) that's remind me Lenny , Jeanne, awfull news...Just hearding the radio, all the carib coast here is menacing today, waves are still strong as the swell, debris of rocks gabarges are on many roads blocking the access, rain is strong and coming back at Deshaies, Pointe Noire, Bouillante, the news are sincerely not GOOD, numerous damages reported and seems that the strong activity is continuing to hit the carib coast usually protected by the dominants winds. People are too curious with Nature here , and want to see the waves, that's a crazy attitude, the authorities of Bouillante say stay at home!!!!
Stay tuned , i will keep you informed , but very very amazing today in all humility....
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#196 Postby Gustywind » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:47 am

Guadeloupe is always in orange alert at 12AM for multiples risk : strong showers and tstorms and rough or dangerous seas...
0 likes   

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#197 Postby bvigal » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:25 pm

Good morning! oh wait, it's afternoon already. Gusty, sorry to hear about the fire, coastal flooding, etc. your radar tells the story, still a lot of rain. Omar went far enough east that you are getting the tail, not us as was expected.

Was really hoping to see a report from Barbara, but let's hope the only reason is that she doesn't have power.

BatsVI put it right, we dodged a bullet. We got the all-clear at 5am. Had plenty of wind here after 2am, for about 90 minutes, when it came in from the north, maybe 50kt up here at 800ft. I watched it like the weather nerd I am. At 4am I was ready to finally go to bed and the bedroom had 2" of water on the floor. Everyone else was asleep (well, actually over-partied might be a better description, not worth trying to wake them) so I dragged the squishy rug out the door into the rain - I figured it couldn't get any wetter and was too heavy to blow away - then grabbed towels and began sopping up the water and hauling them in garbage bag into bath to squeeze them out over the shower. I think I finally went to sleep about 6:30, exhausted, with still-wet floor but much better. Woke at 10 and used the shopvac. Our power company said at noon they would restore power in about 3 hours. Our Department of Disaster Management did a terrific job and kept us informed all night via their website, about shelters, roads, power, water and sewer, inter-island ferries, and the storm itself. Our Governor posted a statement at midnight, and Deputy Governor at 5am. I am so proud of our very professional DM folks here!!! check it out http://www.bviddm.com (Sorry, I didn't post it yesterday, because I didn't want the site brought down by overload, so people in BVI who needed it could get the information.)

As I speak the blue skies have changed to grey as a small streak of showers comes through from the north. The sun will be out again shortly. 8-)
0 likes   

HUC
Category 2
Category 2

#198 Postby HUC » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:37 pm

Back,after this fire just close to my home...................with toxics emanations......Hopefully,everyone is safe..............What a day,what a night,what a se, aways rough,and destroying a lot of coastal infrastructures...Stay tune and thank's.What about our friens of the N.Leeward?? i RETURN TO WORK sEE YOU LATER
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#199 Postby Gustywind » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:41 pm

HUC wrote:Back,after this fire just close to my home...................with toxics emanations......Hopefully,everyone is safe..............What a day,what a night,what a se, aways rough,and destroying a lot of coastal infrastructures...Stay tune and thank's.What about our friens of the N.Leeward?? i RETURN TO WORK sEE YOU LATER

Happy for that news my friend :) you are safe, i amazed by the numerous damages in Guadeloupe but especially Basse Terre 2 events exceptionnals in ONE awfull, see you later we should be prudent we Omar's tail, very juicy convection bringing squall lines and roughs seas are always present, what a DAY here!!! :roll: :oops:
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#200 Postby artist » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:18 pm

Press Release
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 15:10:37 -0400 (EDT)

From the St.Maarten Tourist Board:

St. Maarten Emerges Unscathed After Passage of Hurricane Omar
Report on aftermath of Hurricane Omar
October 16, 2008

The Government of St. Maarten reports that Hurricane Omar, a Category Three storm when it passed St. Maarten in the early morning hours of Thursday, October 16, 2008, did not result in any deaths or significant damages to its infrastructure or hotel sector. The Government of St. Maarten also reports that hotels are fully operational and functioning normally, as well as are the established tourist sites, attractions and restaurants.

While most of the damage appears to be limited to beach erosion and scattered debris that are associated with a storm of this caliber, it is anticipated that within the next 12 hours all public utilities, including electricity, which experience scattered outages during the storm, will be fully functional. The Princess Juliana International Airport is expected to open the morning of October 17th and will resume operating on a normal schedule, as will banks, financial institutions, supermarkets, hospitals, pharmacies, and other businesses.

"We are very thankful that our beautiful island only sustained minor damages and that our residents and guests weathered the storm safely," commented Roy Marlin, Commissioner of Tourism. "Currently, we are working to conduct a thorough inspection of all the resorts, hotels and other infrastructure facilities to ensure public safety. We are confident that following this comprehensive inspection that St. Maartenʼs tourism product will sustain its high quality and character into the upcoming high season."

*** Gert van Dijken ( gert at vandijken.com )
**** Caribbean Hurricane Network - http://stormcarib.com

hopefully this means msbee is just without power still. She did say she has dsl which would be the first to go.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”