OMAR: Aftermath=PR / VI / N.Leewards

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
CajunMama
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive
Posts: 10784
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:57 pm
Location: 30.22N, 92.05W Lafayette, LA

#221 Postby CajunMama » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:22 am

bvi, it astounds me how your islands pull together in times of crisis. You do so much with so little resources. Y'all are truly a special breed of people and i admire y'all for it.
0 likes   

User avatar
msbee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 2841
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:11 am
Location: St. Maarten

Re: OMAR: Aftermath=PR / VI / N.Leewards

#222 Postby msbee » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:25 pm

hello everyone
I'm baack!
Just got my DSL internet up and running yesterday. and now I have both electricity and phone lines buried..no worries about falling poles and downed lines any more.
We did OK here. I just couldn't post because I had no internet.. no power for several days either but we do have a generator..what a lifesaver that is.
We lost a lot of trees in our garden but otherwise suffered no damage.
I posted some pictures on my blog. take a look if you want.

http://barcann.livejournal.com/

The western end of the island is in much worse shape...... They still have quite a clean up going on . They Western and southern coasts had very high seas that caused a lot of damage.

Apparently in the Simpson bay area there was a small tornado also that caused a fair amount of damage.
But most importantly, there are no reports of death or injury.

I have to say thank you to everyone on storm2k for their concern and for their excellent forecasting.
Everyone told me to watch out on SXM.....that Omar was going to cause us some problems..... and you were right..Omar came much closer than we or NHC thought it would.

I hope everyone on the other islands are doing OK......
We survived another one, and thankfully it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Barbara
0 likes   

User avatar
KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 2760
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:23 pm
Location: League City, Texas

Re: OMAR: Aftermath=PR / VI / N.Leewards

#223 Postby KatDaddy » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:31 pm

WB MsBee. Its sound like you fared very well. Being hit by IKE over a month ago I know the feeling of no power or Internet. I had power in 4 days which is very good but no Internet for a week. I felt so disconnected to the world :(

I am glad you are ok and had only very minimal damage. It could have been much worse for both of us.

Take care MsBee

Brian
0 likes   

User avatar
msbee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 2841
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:11 am
Location: St. Maarten

Re: OMAR: Aftermath=PR / VI / N.Leewards

#224 Postby msbee » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:42 pm

Brian
I am glad it wasn't any worse for you. Ike was a heavy hitter for many.
Isn't it an awful feeling though being so disconnected?
We are all so spoiled with all this instant communication. :-)

Barbara
0 likes   

User avatar
Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 12325
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:29 am
Location: Baie-Mahault, GUADELOUPE

Re: OMAR: Aftermath=PR / VI / N.Leewards

#225 Postby Gustywind » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:18 pm

msbee wrote:hello everyone
I'm baack!
Just got my DSL internet up and running yesterday. and now I have both electricity and phone lines buried..no worries about falling poles and downed lines any more.
We did OK here. I just couldn't post because I had no internet.. no power for several days either but we do have a generator..what a lifesaver that is.
We lost a lot of trees in our garden but otherwise suffered no damage.
I posted some pictures on my blog. take a look if you want.

http://barcann.livejournal.com/

The western end of the island is in much worse shape...... They still have quite a clean up going on . They Western and southern coasts had very high seas that caused a lot of damage.

Apparently in the Simpson bay area there was a small tornado also that caused a fair amount of damage.
But most importantly, there are no reports of death or injury.

I have to say thank you to everyone on storm2k for their concern and for their excellent forecasting.
Everyone told me to watch out on SXM.....that Omar was going to cause us some problems..... and you were right..Omar came much closer than we or NHC thought it would.

I hope everyone on the other islands are doing OK......
We survived another one, and thankfully it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Barbara

HI BARBARA :D :D :) GLAD TO SEE YOU HERE, all seems OK and that's great :wink: !
0 likes   

User avatar
msbee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 2841
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:11 am
Location: St. Maarten

Re: OMAR: Aftermath=PR / VI / N.Leewards

#226 Postby msbee » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:31 pm

thanks Gusty
good to be back. how is everything in Guadeloupe?
what were those fires all about?
B
0 likes   

User avatar
Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 12325
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:29 am
Location: Baie-Mahault, GUADELOUPE

Re: OMAR: Aftermath=PR / VI / N.Leewards

#227 Postby Gustywind » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:51 pm

msbee wrote:thanks Gusty
good to be back. how is everything in Guadeloupe?
what were those fires all about?
B

Kiss from Guadeloupe my friend, hummm Basse Terre has suffered from the huge swell and the big waves, the others locations from the carib side too, Deshaies, Vieux Fort with the hyper rough sea :eek: , but things are better right now ... all is not perfect. Whereas many roads have been destroyed due to the power of the destructives waves and are not all ok! I presume and i know given that the radio, TV that the traffic is surely alternated in Basse Terre, but i don't have many infos, maybe HUC from Basse Terre has much more. We hope that things will continue to improve in the Carib coast, but hopefully Omar was pretty "cool " with us this time, hope that the season will end quickly ( should it verifies first) :) no more other Omar in vicinity :cry: :oops: :D :spam: !
0 likes   

User avatar
msbee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 2841
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:11 am
Location: St. Maarten

Re: OMAR: Aftermath=PR / VI / N.Leewards

#228 Postby msbee » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:27 pm

I think the whole Caribbean had problems from Omar.
Someone just sent me some pictures from Dominica.
Looks like they had huge waves there too
B
0 likes   

User avatar
KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 2760
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:23 pm
Location: League City, Texas

#229 Postby KatDaddy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:33 am

Yes I feel very fortunate. Areas just E of Galveston were swept away by the storm surge. Seeing the storm surge flood the Galveston strand 12 hours before landfall was unreal. Thanks goodness IKE's winds did not catch up to the pressure. If IKE would had come ashore at 140 instead of 110mph I would have been out of power for well over a week. I had co-workers that did not have power for 16 days with IKE. Yes we are so very spoiled when it comes to the Internet. Being without the Internet is worse than having no power.
0 likes   

User avatar
Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 1616
Age: 67
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:51 am
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

Re: OMAR: Aftermath=PR / VI / N.Leewards

#230 Postby Dionne » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:04 am

St Kitts-Nevis. We're getting a lot of bad news from Kitts. They are experiencing a crime wave similar to what happened in NOLA after Katrina. The economy on Kitts is now tourism based. The bad news is being held back. The media has yet to get the full picture. The Prime Minister has employed a "security specialist" from the U.S. for assistance. The name of this person has not been released. Tourism has tanked as a result of both environmental and economic woes. Four Seasons Nevis is down and out (surge and wind damage).....several hundred jobs lost. There are four men about to be hanged in Basseterre for murder. People lost their homes. Hotel resort rates have been slashed in an attempt to lure more tourists back. The CIA fact sheet was updated recently detailing Kitts as a trans-shipment point for drugs destined for Europe and the U.S. There is money laundering. Kittitians are doing whatever they can to cope. Our friend Lester has told us the number of beggars on the streets and beaches is out of control. This is so unfortunate. We have decided not to visit Frigate Bay this year.
0 likes   

User avatar
Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 1616
Age: 67
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:51 am
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

Re: OMAR: Aftermath=PR / VI / N.Leewards

#231 Postby Dionne » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:17 am

Dionne wrote:St Kitts-Nevis. We're getting a lot of bad news from Kitts. They are experiencing a crime wave similar to what happened in NOLA after Katrina. The economy on Kitts is now tourism based. The bad news is being held back. The media has yet to get the full picture. The Prime Minister has employed a "security specialist" from the U.S. for assistance. The name of this person has not been released. Tourism has tanked as a result of both environmental and economic woes. Four Seasons Nevis is down and out (surge and wind damage).....several hundred jobs lost. There are four men about to be hanged in Basseterre for murder. People lost their homes. Hotel resort rates have been slashed in an attempt to lure more tourists back. The CIA fact sheet was updated recently detailing Kitts as a trans-shipment point for drugs destined for Europe and the U.S. There is money laundering. Kittitians are doing whatever they can to cope. Our friend Lester has told us the number of beggars on the streets and beaches is out of control. This is so unfortunate. We have decided not to visit Frigate Bay this year.



We have just received very bad news from St Kitts. So far this year there have been 22 murders......18 of which have happened since Omar. This gives our little island the dubious distinction of being the murder capital of the world on a per-capita basis. It is unprecedented in the history of the two island nation. The same thing is happening on Kitts that happened in New Orleans after Katrina. Very sad day.

http://www.sunstkitts.com
0 likes   


Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests