3rd worst storm in US history? World's fastest recovery!!!

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

3rd worst storm in US history? World's fastest recovery!!!

#1 Postby GalvestonDuck » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:21 am

0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: 3rd worst storm in US history? World's fastest recovery!!!

#2 Postby vbhoutex » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:13 am

What I am seeing or better yet, not seeing, about Ike and the continuing recovery effort, especially in Galveston is DEPLORABLE!! WHERE IS THE HOUSING THESE PEOPLE NEED, BESIDES LIVING IN A SHELTER? From many reports we are getting the response has been WAY TOO SLOW, if it happens at all? Did they learn nothing over the last 3 years??
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#3 Postby GalvestonDuck » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:08 pm

Ditto that, David. I wasn't sure if everyone got the tone of my subject title.

We're coming back, but it's slow because we (and I don't just mean Galveston, but southeast Texas) are doing it ourselves.

The CHURCHES still have points of distribution for ice, food, water, and cleaning supplies. I know of two locations here in Galveston. And get this -- one of them is a Muslim mosque. There are no more FEMA POD's. Those were gone within 3 weeks after the storm (a week and a half after most of all were able to return to the island). There are a few Red Cross and Salvation Army meal trucks, but none like before.

I'm thankful I have food (although it bites not having a refrigerator), water, shelter, and so far, a job. I have no idea what people living in tent cities or those staying within the gutted shells of their homes are doing. You have to have ice for the coolers to keep some food or else it goes to waste.

There have been awe-inspiring stories of help from individuals though.

One of the physicians I work with told the tale of a woman who came back to her home on the west end of Galveston. A couple of gentlemen drove up in a truck and asked if she needed anything. "Dog food and water," she said. The next thing she knew they left and came back about an hour later with a truckbed full of bags of dog food and water...a good year's supply of dog food. She asked who they were with, the Salvation Army, FEMA, what? They said, "No, we're just some guys from Lubbock who came down to see what we could do."

Then my best friend's husband was working at my apartment the other day with a group of people doing demo work on the walls. An elderly man came up to the porch (the front steps were washed away, so he couldn't actually come in) and offered him $100. My best friend's husband said, "Thanks, but I can't take your money." The guy pointed to his wife in the car and said, "We can't do a lot, but we have to do something. This is the best we can do. Please take it." So, he did. He'll put it towards repairs.

Things are coming back slowly and there has been help. But it's been Texas help. There's need to be more. Especially for those without a safe place to sleep at night.
0 likes   

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby bvigal » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:38 pm

Thanks for posting those, they are GREAT stories!! It's a true shame the media won't pay any attention, because the nation needs to stop watching the stock market, election, and hear about what is really going on! If they knew, I'm sure a lot more people would come to help. Just look at the difference with Katrina, on the news non-stop for weeks.

Any estimate when your power will be restored?
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby GalvestonDuck » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:04 pm

I won't be able to have power restored until the wiring, outlets, and breakers are replaced. The water came to just below the meter and so the entire box has to be removed and replaced. I went to my house one evening last week after dark and stood on the porch for a couple of minutes. The entire block is dark. Of course, after this weekend, it will be dark an hour earlier.

Well, the election is important. But I have to wonder if people realize the impact that Ike had on the US economy since everyone is in a tizzy about it.

I do have to say, I'm surprised the fuel prices have gone down instead of up. I've seen it as low as $2.23 at Sam's.

Speaking of Sam's -- I am going to join Sam's for the simple reason that they have allowed non-members to shop and buy gas there since they reopened after Ike. Of course, that privilege is limited until Nov. 1. But it was nice for a lot of people do be able to go there and buy in bulk. And for a while, Tide had "Loads of Hope" set up here. They bring in specially-equipped trucks with washers and dryers for doing laundry. Funny thing is, at first, I thought it was a Tide-sponsored laundromat for those of us without water and power (and appliances) to do laundry. Turns out, it's a drop-off service...and it's free. You just take a bundle of clothes to them and they will wash, dry, and fold it all. No charge.

I won't buy anything but Tide ever again.
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

#6 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:31 pm

When they get the fishing pier repaired I'll be coming down on Friday evenings to fish and inject money into the local economy.

My wife's grandfather, "Popo", isn't sure if he can rebuild the beach place in Jamaica Beach. The dune is gone, and there isn't all that much sand between his property and the ocean now. Supposedly, it might take a full year before he knows whether his property is still his, or on the beach and subject to the Texas Open Beaches Act (ie, no rebuilding).
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”