report slams FEMA....

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

report slams FEMA....

#1 Postby Dionne » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:18 am

CNN reporting.....although I'm sure all the online news sites are carrying this info.

A Federal report basically says FEMA failed miserably with health issues in occupied emergency housing following Katrina and Rita. Worst of all it is suggested that FEMA was more concerned with image than performance.

The most disturbing item reported is that gas offing (formaldehyde) was reported two months after the first occupants......it took FEMA two years to begin testing.

If your prone to anger when reading about federal bungling....you prolly should not read the report.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: report slams FEMA....

#2 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:26 pm

Hopefully, if they are needed this year, things will be a lot different with the new director. Between the book I am reading about Katrina and watching the FEMA response in Houston/Galveston post Ike-was there one?-it has got to get better.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby Dionne » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:00 am

vbhoutex wrote:Hopefully, if they are needed this year, things will be a lot different with the new director. Between the book I am reading about Katrina and watching the FEMA response in Houston/Galveston post Ike-was there one?-it has got to get better.

All of us that endured Katrina learned valuable lessons. Most importantly, those of us that had no FEMA/MEMA help.....WE LEARNED TO HELP EACH OTHER. It's a sad day when you watch all the disaster teams heading south.....and they drive right past small towns that lost their entire infrastructure.
0 likes   

Alladin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4 Postby Alladin » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:02 pm

Dionne wrote:
The most disturbing item reported is that gas offing (formaldehyde) was reported two months after the first occupants......it took FEMA two years to begin testing.

What is most disturbing to me is that "emergency" housing was maintained by FEMA for longer than six months. The federal government should not be in the business of housing anyone but the military and certain federal employees.
0 likes   

SETXWXLADY
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5 Postby SETXWXLADY » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:48 am

Alladin wrote:
Dionne wrote:

What is most disturbing to me is that "emergency" housing was maintained by FEMA for longer than six months. The federal government should not be in the business of housing anyone but the military and certain federal employees.

I've seen FEMA in action twice. Personally. After Rita And Ike. They were horrible after Rita and they were doing the exact same things after Ike. Doesn't matter who's running it. Where you live. They learned nothing. I doubt they care about doing anything right. They didn't give a flying...then and they won't now. Pretty bad when an insurnce adjuster is begging for help for people who had asolutely nothing left. FEMA didn't, actually FEMA wouldn't help them. No surprise to me. And this year on our local prepare for the hurricane show, they just came right out and said...Plan to take care of yourself because not everyone will get help. Period. And they also said that it shouldn't be news to anyone around here. And it isn't. So that is good advice. Take care of yourself. No one else will. Your government does not care if you sleep in the streets. Even if you've done everything youre supposed to all your life. Even if you've payed taxes all your life to that government. Although apparently some people are right on FEMA'S side about that. Even if you gave 20 years of your life in the service of your country. And a tour in Viet Nam. I guess since you're too old to be useful now they don't care if you sleep in the streets. "Hell yeah. Don't use MY tax dollars to help these losers.!" Great attitude Aladin. Great attitude FEMA. So if someone wants to slam FEMA be my guest.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby Dionne » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:28 am

SETXWXLADY wrote:
Alladin wrote:
Dionne wrote:

I've seen FEMA in action twice. Personally. After Rita And Ike. They were horrible after Rita and they were doing the exact same things after Ike. Doesn't matter who's running it. Where you live. They learned nothing. I doubt they care about doing anything right. They didn't give a flying...then and they won't now. Pretty bad when an insurnce adjuster is begging for help for people who had asolutely nothing left. FEMA didn't, actually FEMA wouldn't help them. No surprise to me. And this year on our local prepare for the hurricane show, they just came right out and said...Plan to take care of yourself because not everyone will get help. Period. And they also said that it shouldn't be news to anyone around here. And it isn't. So that is good advice. Take care of yourself. No one else will. Your government does not care if you sleep in the streets. Even if you've done everything youre supposed to all your life. Even if you've payed taxes all your life to that government. Although apparently some people are right on FEMA'S side about that. Even if you gave 20 years of your life in the service of your country. And a tour in Viet Nam. I guess since you're too old to be useful now they don't care if you sleep in the streets. "Hell yeah. Don't use MY tax dollars to help these losers.!" Great attitude Aladin. Great attitude FEMA. So if someone wants to slam FEMA be my guest.

Not to break the topic thread......I'm a decorated veteran.....11B/51M. Vietnam, among other places. I can find no reason to give us special treatment from FEMA. Which is really a moot point as FEMA is incapable when it comes to large scale natural disasters first response. What really needs to happen is for veterans with training to come to the aid of those not capable of helping themselves. In the early morning hours before sunrise of August 30, 2005......you could find these people.....with chain saws.....cutting single lanes down highways 49 and 27. Remember Kennedy? "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country". While I'm at it....Husqvarna Disaster Response....I had forgotten about this guy. One man in a pick up truck pulling a double axle trailer full of saws. A young man, exhausted.....I remember he started crying when we realized we would be unable to clear 27 below Monticello.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby DanKellFla » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:29 am

Alladin wrote:
Dionne wrote:

The state of Floridas official line is to be prepared to take care of yourself for the first 72 hours, at least. I totally agree with that. But for "emergency" housing, I think that FEMA was just not prepared to handle that many homeless people. Just processing the paperwork takes months. Ideally, one should take the housing and immediatly start to look for a permanent solution. Post-Katrina, FEMA implied that they would take care of the housing issues for those in the trailiers. Some followed along and believed FEMA. Thus, the years in a trailer. It was a tradgedy on all sides.
0 likes   

SETXWXLADY
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby SETXWXLADY » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:45 pm

I wasn't asking for special treatment for veterans. Although I think they deserve a lot. But just my opinion. I was just warning people. In case they don't know what to expect. And I also need to mention that 72 hours of supplies are not enough. Especially, like someone mentioned, if you live in a small town. I hope Florida has a better plan than to wait for the Feds to show up and help after 72 hrs. It was bad for weeks after Rita. None of us had a clue what was coming. And I too saw many acts of heroism from common people. I think there were just enough kind people to balance out all the greedy ones. So just prepare to help yourself. As best you can. And yes I know exactly how much of an uphill struggle that is to do that when even the basic human needs are not being met. And unlike most people, I don't think you should be made to feel ashamed if you do need help to take it. Don't worry about what Rambo the Redneck has to say about accepting help when you need it. And another thing on the Florida issue. I've read articles and seen shows where the emergency management people say to just go 10 miles inland and you'll b fine. And if you live more than 10 miles inland and you evacuate you're just messing it up for the people who really need to evacuate. They call those "shadow evacuees" All I can say is thats a bad Idea. To stay or go is a personal decision. And if you choose to take you or your loved ones out of harms way you shouldn't be made to feel less of a person for doing that. Even if you do live in Florida. Ok, everybody go ahead and flame my unAmerican ass. :roll:
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby DanKellFla » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:34 pm

Add in the Florida government to help with FEMA after 72 hours, and you have the plan. Actually, it is pretty detailed but I still don't think it will help anybody other than those on the bottom rung of the economic ladder. As for evacuating, the geography of Florida makes evacuating a bad idea unless you leave the state entirely. In the best of times, that takes 9 hours from Miami. One is more likely to be stuck in a car during a hurricane if one tries to evacuate. After the last bunch of storms, Florida has made some real improvements. Many houses have been fortified, some supermarkets and gas stations have generators and most of all, people are aware. Even the newer manufactured homes are upgraded to whithstand a storm. (You still need to evacuate to a shelter.)
Personally, I stick around for a storm. My turning point for evacuating my home would be if the plumbing ceases to work. I have the luxury of having family in the area that is spread out enough so somebody will have a functioning home.
0 likes   

SETXWXLADY
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re:

#10 Postby SETXWXLADY » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:07 pm

DanKellFla wrote:Add in the Florida government to help with FEMA after 72 hours, and you have the plan. Actually, it is pretty detailed but I still don't think it will help anybody other than those on the bottom rung of the economic ladder. As for evacuating, the geography of Florida makes evacuating a bad idea unless you leave the state entirely. In the best of times, that takes 9 hours from Miami. One is more likely to be stuck in a car during a hurricane if one tries to evacuate. After the last bunch of storms, Florida has made some real improvements. Many houses have been fortified, some supermarkets and gas stations have generators and most of all, people are aware. Even the newer manufactured homes are upgraded to whithstand a storm. (You still need to evacuate to a shelter.)
Personally, I stick around for a storm. My turning point for evacuating my home would be if the plumbing ceases to work. I have the luxury of having family in the area that is spread out enough so somebody will have a functioning home.

I am glad that there is a plan. And I did wonder where people would go if they evacuated. Florida isnt as wide as the inland area Rita chewed up.
I am relieved. It is also the less fortunate who worry me. But I would hope they had a place to shelter in. You would think people around here would be aware by now. Unfortunately not yet. :(
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby brunota2003 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:28 am

I will say one thing, back home in coastal NC, when a hurricane hits...none of us wait for the gov't to show up. Everything starts happening as soon as the storm dies down...once you are done cleaning your yard and your area is passable, everyone goes to check on their neighbors and friends.

We even had a group of Marines from Cherry Point get together after Isabel and go down to the Harlow/Adams Creek areas (about ~15 miles from base, worst hit areas on the mainland due to surge and what not) and help people finish cleaning up and start rebuilding within a couple days of the storm.

Why? Not because the gov't told them to, not because they all lived down there, but because their neighbors needed help.

Yeah, Isabel wasn't no where near as devastating in coastal NC as Katrina was along the gulf coast...but I would put money down that if a Katrina type storm were to hit there, everyone would be helping each other like they usually do.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby DanKellFla » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:11 am

I don't think a "Katrina type storm" can hit anywhere else than where it did. The combination of geography, storm intesity and government reaction were unique. I don't think there is anyplace else in the country that has such a large population living below sea level. I was able to start cleaning up withing hours after a hurrican hit me. In Katrina, that turned into weeks and sometime months before clean up could start.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#13 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:01 pm

brunota2003 wrote:I will say one thing, back home in coastal NC, when a hurricane hits...none of us wait for the gov't to show up. Everything starts happening as soon as the storm dies down...once you are done cleaning your yard and your area is passable, everyone goes to check on their neighbors and friends.

We even had a group of Marines from Cherry Point get together after Isabel and go down to the Harlow/Adams Creek areas (about ~15 miles from base, worst hit areas on the mainland due to surge and what not) and help people finish cleaning up and start rebuilding within a couple days of the storm.

Why? Not because the gov't told them to, not because they all lived down there, but because their neighbors needed help.

Yeah, Isabel wasn't no where near as devastating in coastal NC as Katrina was along the gulf coast...but I would put money down that if a Katrina type storm were to hit there, everyone would be helping each other like they usually do.

That is what happened in many areas of Houston, but not all. I know it happened in our neighborhood because I was a recipient of it and a part of the clean up and checking for others. I understand there are many that do not have the resources I have, and that it may not be as easy for some to help, but any little thing to make it easier for everyone is the type of thing that is needed, not people waiting around for the government to take care of them. As always, year in and year out, there are a few supplies I need to get if we are threatened, but generally, I am always ready for a TC or for that matter almost any severe weather aftermath. I also am fortunate enough to have enough family around that more than likely someone will have functioning facilities. We have been that fortunate for both Alica and Ike aftermaths.
The reason I made the original comment about it getting better is because I think there is hope that it will with the new director of FEMA, unless his hands are tied. He was Florida's EOM and did a bang up job according to almost all you speak with in Florida.
0 likes   

jeff
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#14 Postby jeff » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:48 pm

I fully agree. A lot of Houston was cleaned up by its own residents and much of the debris was removed fairly rapidly when compared to other disasters. In some areas already by Sunday evening the streets were cleared while state and federal govt. were just getting their feet on the ground. Then again it is easy to clean up downed trees it is much harder to clean up gutted homes by storm surge and wave action. On Tuesday after Ike when our team did HWM in eastern Galveston County along the bay they were really in shock..when you are in that boat it is kind of hard even to know where to begin...I knew the felling after 3.5 feet of water post Allison. While we only had a case of hot bottled water they took what we offered and thanked us for doing nothing more than showing up in a govt vehicle. We did not do anything but drive the streets and take a couple of marks inside homes, but for some reason it made some difference...maybe they felt they were not forgotten and that their house/data would be used. At Keham we were mobbed with folks not wanting help...but to have us come in their gutted homes to find HWM's. The clean up and recvoery start with yourself at your house and then spread from there...things are different in different places and folks react differently in different places. Texas is more of a hand off govt. and do it yourself type place...if you get down in the rural areas like Matagorda or Jackson counties...they would have it all cleaned up before FEMA was even out of Washington. I saw that first hand after Claudette 2003.
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#15 Postby gtalum » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:46 pm

brunota2003 wrote:I will say one thing, back home in coastal NC, when a hurricane hits...none of us wait for the gov't to show up. Everything starts happening as soon as the storm dies down...once you are done cleaning your yard and your area is passable, everyone goes to check on their neighbors and friends.

To be fair, it's pretty difficult to clean up while your house is under 20 feet of water.
0 likes   

lonelymike
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby lonelymike » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:09 pm

Moral of the story don't live near the coast. I personally believe in a single payer health system. Will it work here? No because of bureaucracy and money. Same thing with Fema. Fed Govt can only do so much. Got to learn to help yourself.
0 likes   

mpic
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby mpic » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:05 am

Have to give my 2 cents here, too. Talking about evac plans in Houston...what a joke! It takes about an hour from Galveston to reach where the contra flow lanes start on the north side of Houston when traffic is decent. Good luck with Houstonians filling the roads ahead of Islanders.

And in the spirit of the thread, when I was finally able to back to my home after Ike because they wouldn't let us back in, FEMA had already left.
0 likes   

Florida1118
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby Florida1118 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:22 pm

Im just going to throw this out there. The Feds. cant be everywhere. I agree that FEMA took a tad to long on their operations with Katrina. But every year, whether it be FEMA, Coast Guard, what ever, Every year something bad happens, *Some* people think Feds. are supposed to come in a give you everything you need on a silver platter. Well they cant just rush in...Same with Electricians or county workers. *Some* people think that they need power 1st. In a Hurricane, they also cant fix everything in a quick time. They all cant do everything within a week or day or whatever. Then *Some* people get mad at us for not letting them return home. Well we are trying to keep you safe, so that's why we have shelters. Other people get mad because they didnt get rescued right as they wanted to. In my opinion, we should help the needy (i.e. the elderly, children...) then get to others. Like in Katrina, some people got mad they sat on a roof for a long time....Well they had a Evac. for a reason, you didnt listen, we arent going to make it out top priority to come and risk ourselves to save you. Then other get mad we violate rights by shooting all looters. Well you complain we arent solving crime, then you complain the low life scum are being hurt/killed. Sometimes we just cant win. But anyway, Feds. aren't always to blame...sometimes its the people themselves for not listening to us.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”