Woman gets 10 years for Hurricane Ike burglaries

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#1 Postby southerngale » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:17 pm

What a lowlife piece of trash. **&&%^$O%$#$

October 05, 2009 3:37 PM
Scott Lawrence

A judge has sentenced a woman to a decade in prison and ordered her to pay thousands of dollars in restitution after she pleaded guilty to burglarizing homes during the Hurricane Ike evacuation.

Judge John Stevens sentenced Kate English, 21, on Monday, after she pleaded guilty to burglarizing three homes during the Ike evacuation.

Prosecutors say English and her boyfriend, William Kyle Cruse, 18, broke into a number of homes last year in Beaumont.

In August, Cruse was sentenced to six months in jail and ten years probation for an unrelated robbery. Three burglaries were included in his sentence.

Cruse must also pay $18,130 in restitution and a $2,500 fine.

In addition to the 10 year TDCJ sentence Judge Stevens imposed on English, he ordered her to pay restitution of $21,000, $17,200 and $12,300 for the three burglaries.

Police were able to recover much of the stolen property, including jewelry, and return it to the owners.

Image Image
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby DanKellFla » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:36 am

Why did he get 6 months, but she got 10 years? I guess it is tough to be the example. For the sake of the victims, they should have given her a shorter sentence with freedom being conditional upon working and paying her restitution.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#3 Postby southerngale » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:54 pm

I don't know why he got less. Maybe he cooperated and testified against her? It just makes me sick when people take advantage of others like that. Most people are quick to pull together during difficult times, not steal from their neighbors. :roll:
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

Florida1118
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Woman gets 10 years for Hurricane Ike burglaries

#4 Postby Florida1118 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:18 pm

If I were there and they came into my home, they would be on the floor with bullets in there head.
0 likes   

decordova33
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Re: Woman gets 10 years for Hurricane Ike burglaries

#5 Postby decordova33 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:33 am

Florida1118 wrote:If I were there and they came into my home, they would be on the floor with price bullets in there head.

This is exactly what was in my mind when I read this topic..
:grrr:
0 likes   
Dani

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”