Earl aftermath

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Earl aftermath

#1 Postby bvigal » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:39 pm

Wanted to post something lighhearted, and this wonderful image I shot on Tuesday when I ventured out to go check on my apartment. I would say this is an island version of "Necessity is the mother of invention" :D It also reminds me why I live here!
The guys who cut up the fallen tree, to open the road for all their neighbors, found this perfect branch to prop up the pole and lines. Yes, those are power lines, but not 'live'. It was still the same this morning!
(edited: I used imageshack but they have already dropped it in less than 24hrs! so updated link)
(edit: Monday, September 13 - Today was told by good authority that these lines are NOT power lines, the power poles are further downhill from the road. The lines in question are cable tv. So the guys who propped them up, who live on the road, were wrong.)
Last edited by bvigal on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby artist » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:22 pm

oh my gosh, even though not live, that is scary! But as you say- inventive! lol
Glad you guys made out fairly well.
(guys - you have to click on it to get the full affect of what they did~at least these older eyes did!)
0 likes   

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Earl aftermath

#3 Postby bvigal » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:09 pm

Wow, I've been meaning to get to this for days. It just seems there aren't enough hours at the computer... so many emails to answer, captured pictures to go through, etc. I have damage pictures still in my camera. Below are from others, and far better than anything I took!

Best video of Earl in BVI, by Linda Soares in Anegada. This is Neptune's Treasure, a hotel/restaurant property. After the video, in the still shots, the first shot is what's left of their dock. The second shot is one of the Soares family homes where I stayed once during a regatta. You can see what the resort looks like without a hurricane at http://www.neptunestreasure.com and read about this unique family on the 'restaurant' tab. Then you'll understand why no hurricane is going to slow them down for long!

If you can access facebook, here's a video Penny Moors made while 'holed up' in hotel room at Village Cay Marina, in Road Town's Inner Harbor. Penny and husband Colin are the summer crew of luxury yacht Sabore, which came through fine on the dock, see http://www.sailsabore.com

Another good video was made at Pussers Marina Cay. Pussers Marina Cay is a small resort and popular restaurant just east of our airport in Tortola, and location of one of the BVI webcams where you might have watched the red phone booth. You'll see it in the video. See the 'normal' view at http://www.pussers.com/outposts/marina_cay

more as time permits
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Aquawind » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:10 am

That's an impressive video from Linda! Glad Earl was a glancing blow..
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby artist » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:41 pm

incredible video there by Linda as Aquawind said. Thanks for posting it bvigal.
0 likes   

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Earl aftermath

#6 Postby bvigal » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:38 am

I know I shouldn't get so upset about a tree... but gosh, this Flamboyant was so pretty, so grand! And from what my landlady told me, she didn't want the gardener to chop it down completely, she said "shape it up". (she's off island this week)

:( I wish I'd taken more pictures of it, because it was a LOT bigger and prettier than 5 years ago!!

In bloom June 2005

A roost for parrots, April 2007

The day after Earl, August 31

September 8, following trimming of shrubs for a better view

September 11, following first trimming

September 21, moments ago - full cut-down!
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”