TS Matthew: Report & Check in for MX & CA-Updates

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 4214
Age: 29
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 5:35 pm
Location: El Salvador

Re: TS Matthew: Please Report & Check in for MX & CA

#21 Postby Macrocane » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:28 pm

The rainfall in some sations from Guatemala between 7:00 am yesterday and 7:00 am today:

Izabal 130 mm/5.12 inches
Tecun Uman 130 mm/5.12 inches
Puerto Barrios 127 mm/5.00 inches
Puerto San Jose 93 mm/3.66 inches
Retalhuleu 78 mm/3.08 inches

And a map with the rainfall between 7:00 am yesterday and 7:00 am today in El Salvador, the maximum rainfall was 76.2 mm (3.00 incehs):

Image
0 likes   

User avatar
artist
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 9408
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:26 pm
Location: West Palm

Re: TS Matthew: Please Report & Check in for MX & CA

#22 Postby artist » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:07 pm

Macrocane wrote:The rainfall in some sations from Guatemala between 7:00 am yesterday and 7:00 am today:

Izabal 130 mm/5.12 inches
Tecun Uman 130 mm/5.12 inches
Puerto Barrios 127 mm/5.00 inches
Puerto San Jose 93 mm/3.66 inches
Retalhuleu 78 mm/3.08 inches

And a map with the rainfall between 7:00 am yesterday and 7:00 am today in El Salvador, the maximum rainfall was 76.2 mm (3.00 incehs):


Macrocane, thank you for the updates. Is that kind of rain enough to do much flooding there? Glad it hasn't hit you too hard so far and hope it stays that way!
0 likes   

BZSTORM
Category 1
Category 1
Posts: 331
Age: 54
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:47 pm
Location: Placencia, Belize

#23 Postby BZSTORM » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:12 pm

well seems for us in Belize the storm is gone but additional flooding inevitable in South & Belize valley area as many rivers in Honduras and Guatemala flow into Belize rivers. Belize city apparently has flooding along sea front and around the municiple airport. Storm didn't do any major damage here where I live, just dumped allot of trash on beach, berry trees dropped their fruit and twigs/leafs litter the ground. Placencia has flooding on the main beach area & the point had huge for us waves which damaged 3 piers in that area. One was at least 4 feet above nomral sea level and lost boards and some power/water utility hubs. A few ground level buildings approx 20 feet from high tide mark got flooded with ankle deep water. Lagoon is at max level but this time of year is highest tides so the extra water from river run off will cause the watershed areas and homes on lagoon edge to experience 1-2ft of water above the normal water level. yet again Belize got lucky if Matthew hadn't moved so quickly we would have had high winds and rain than we got.
As its the weekend no news articles will be up online as tv channels channel 5 news & 7 Channel 7 news don't do weekend News. Love FM's website has photos sent in by ppl around the country :darrow: http://www.lovefm.com/ :darrow:
0 likes   

User avatar
Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 4214
Age: 29
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 5:35 pm
Location: El Salvador

Re: TS Matthew: Please Report & Check in for MX & CA

#24 Postby Macrocane » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:18 pm

artist wrote:
Macrocane, thank you for the updates. Is that kind of rain enough to do much flooding there? Glad it hasn't hit you too hard so far and hope it stays that way!


No, one day with 4 inches is handled well except in isolated locations where soils are very saturated, but 1 or 2 more days with 4 inches could be very dangerous.

Great that thing are not worse in Belize BZSTORM take care.
0 likes   

User avatar
Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 5082
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:06 pm

Re: TS Matthew: Please Report & Check in for MX & CA

#25 Postby Ptarmigan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:24 pm

Macrocane wrote:The rainfall in some sations from Guatemala between 7:00 am yesterday and 7:00 am today:

Izabal 130 mm/5.12 inches
Tecun Uman 130 mm/5.12 inches
Puerto Barrios 127 mm/5.00 inches
Puerto San Jose 93 mm/3.66 inches
Retalhuleu 78 mm/3.08 inches

And a map with the rainfall between 7:00 am yesterday and 7:00 am today in El Salvador, the maximum rainfall was 76.2 mm (3.00 incehs):

Image


Interesting rain figures. I was thinking there would be higher totals.
0 likes   

alanstover
Tropical Low
Tropical Low
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:40 pm
Location: Quetzaltenango, Guatemala, CA

#26 Postby alanstover » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:43 pm

I am surprised too that we haven´t had more rain than we did. But it´s not over yet. We´ve had light rain all day, and forcasts say it could continue for several more days. We´ll see. Like Macrocane said above, a few more days of that kind of rain will get dangerous quickly.
0 likes   

User avatar
Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 4214
Age: 29
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 5:35 pm
Location: El Salvador

Re: TS Matthew: Please Report & Check in for MX & CA

#27 Postby Macrocane » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:45 pm

Yeah alanstover you're right, the models have been prediciting a very wet week so it could get dangerous.
0 likes   

User avatar
artist
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 9408
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:26 pm
Location: West Palm

#28 Postby artist » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:03 pm

BZSTORM - thanks for the update there. So sorry to hear of the flooding already going on there. Stay safe! Thanks for the link to the photos. I hope the rain stops soon for you all.

Macrocane & alanstover - thanks once again for your updates.

I am trying to blow the rain away from you all as best I can! :double:

Know we are thinking about you all.
0 likes   

BZSTORM
Category 1
Category 1
Posts: 331
Age: 54
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:47 pm
Location: Placencia, Belize

#29 Postby BZSTORM » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:51 pm

distant thunder for last 3 hours so guess more rain coming tonight, high tide is midnight so lets hope the rivers prone to flash flooding don't occur, always worst for flash floods to occur at night here. Allot of ppl here in Belize are like storm gone today everythings ok, rivers when they went to bed were steady and get complacent again. Hoping no bad news come morning.
0 likes   

User avatar
Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 4214
Age: 29
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 5:35 pm
Location: El Salvador

Re: TS Matthew: Please Report & Check in for MX & CA

#30 Postby Macrocane » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:45 am

It has been raining in San Salvador all night and the rains have been the strongest we've had from Matthew, and one interesting thing is that not only the rains have intensified but the winds too, some strong winds gusts are occuring at this time, tomorrow (or later today if you're in US or the islands) I will post more observations.
0 likes   

User avatar
Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 4214
Age: 29
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 5:35 pm
Location: El Salvador

Re: TS Matthew: Please Report & Check in for MX & CA

#31 Postby Macrocane » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:12 am

Good morning! We've had 13 hours of persistent rainfall in El Salvador, the winds have calm down but the rains have not stopped they're mostly moderate but they get intense at times, I will post a map with the rainfall amounts later but I think they will be higher than yesterday.
0 likes   

User avatar
artist
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 9408
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:26 pm
Location: West Palm

#32 Postby artist » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:21 am

hey Macrocane - look forward to your report of the rains there.

how are things going in Belize today BZSTORM?
Alanstover how are things there?
0 likes   

User avatar
artist
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 9408
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:26 pm
Location: West Palm

Re: TS Matthew: Please Report & Check in for MX & CA

#33 Postby artist » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:31 am

Image
Image
Image
3 de 3 Previous Following BY C. MÉNDEZ AND CORRESPONDENTS
.26/09/10 - 00 National
Affects rainfall 13 departments Matthew storm fell yesterday intensity to become a tropical depression; however, the impact of the rain left the country floods, landslides and thousand 398 people affected, especially in Izabal, Petén and Suchitepéquez.


Departments affected also include Alta Verapaz, Chimaltenango, Chiquimula, El Progreso, Jalapa, Santa Rosa, Totonicapán, Zacapa, Huehuetenango, Guatemala.

The National Coordinator for disaster reduction (Conred) confirmed that in Sayaxché and Dolores, Petén, were evacuated 240 persons, in addition to originating holders, village 60 Morales, Izabal, as a result of the Motagua River overflow.

By rain, the river grew up to 2.50 meters in that place.

In Palestine, Cuyotenango, Suchitepéquez, community 204 people were evacuated from their homes.

To the 0025 hours yesterday were transferred 36 families due to the flooding of the River Sis and Icán. That community is the first River, which a few miles joins with the second; in both its flow climbed 75 centimeters, so flooded several houses.

3 Hours, some people returned to its property, to remove mud and accumulated water.

Rudel Álvarez, Governor of Petén, reported about 150 families affected by rain in neighborhoods La Caridad, San Juan and La Paz, San Benito; and La Democracia, St. Helena.

Ixobel, close to La Amistad, Creek neighborhood residents also had to be evacuated.

The number of affected day totalled thousand 398, which was evacuated 516 and 97 stay in hostels.

Alejandro Maldonado, Executive Secretary of the Conred spoke no reported deaths or injuries because of the climate phenomenon.

Stated that victims began receiving humanitarian aid.

Obstruction

Quiché, rain caused landslides in different ways and roads, which left dozens of municipalities held incommunicado.

290, Paguayil, kilometer Sacapulas, Quiché, occurred a massive landslide prevented the step of Nebaj, Chajul, Cotzal, Cunén, Chimel, Chicamán and Ixcán, via Alta Verapaz. In addition, collapsed the path of terracería Canillá and San Andrés Sajcabajá.

The Conred reported detachments at 302 of the CA-1 Road, village Chimiche, San Pedro Necta, Huehuetenango, and another at kilometer 100 road CA-14, San Agustín Acasaguastlán, El Progreso.

In the place known as the jets, San Cristóbal Verapaz, 208 kilometer from the path of Cobán Chicamán, Quiché, reported another collapse, as well as in the Centre of Dolores, Petén, and at km 173 route to the West, which was removed in the afternoon.

A landslide at kilometer road 24 to El Salvador, which blocked the vehicular traffic was also reported in the afternoon.

the last image possibly a mud slide? There is no explanation as to what other than it is concerning the storm,
these are from http://www.prensalibre.com
translated with microsoft/live
0 likes   

User avatar
artist
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 9408
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:26 pm
Location: West Palm

#34 Postby artist » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:34 am

there are a few new photos from Belize at the link BZSTORM gave us (no way to copy and paste here) -
http://www.lovefm.com/
0 likes   

User avatar
Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 4214
Age: 29
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 5:35 pm
Location: El Salvador

Re: TS Matthew: Please Report & Check in for MX & CA

#35 Postby Macrocane » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:10 pm

It has been raining for 18 hours now, some flooding has been reported in some parts of teh country the government is going to give a news conference later today, I think they're going to upgrade the alert to orange. Here's a video I made this morning:

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4910/mvi1824.mp4
0 likes   

User avatar
artist
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 9408
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:26 pm
Location: West Palm

Re: TS Matthew: Please Report & Check in for MX & CA

#36 Postby artist » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:22 pm

Macrocane wrote:It has been raining for 18 hours now, some flooding has been reported in some parts of teh country the government is going to give a news conference later today, I think they're going to upgrade the alert to orange. Here's a video I made this morning:

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4910/mvi1824.mp4

thanks for the video. 18 hours of steady rain there? I am sure you are wishing for the sun at this point. Glad to know you are ok. Keep us updated and let us know what they have to say in the news conference.
Some of the pictures I posted from your link show the flooding that has begun.
Take care.
0 likes   

User avatar
Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 4214
Age: 29
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 5:35 pm
Location: El Salvador

Re: TS Matthew: Please Report & Check in for MX & CA

#37 Postby Macrocane » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:52 pm

It's still raining we're under orange alert now and one death is reported. Here is the map with the rainfall between 7:00 am yesterday and 7:00 am today, as you can see the coastal areas received lots of rain, the maximum was 126.9 mm/5.0 inches.

Image
0 likes   

User avatar
artist
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 9408
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:26 pm
Location: West Palm

#38 Postby artist » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:22 pm

Macrocane, really hate to hear about the death. Please keep us updated on things and know we are thinking about you all.
BZSTORM & alanstover haven't reported in since last night. I hope they are ok. Hopefully they didn't lose power.
0 likes   

BZSTORM
Category 1
Category 1
Posts: 331
Age: 54
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:47 pm
Location: Placencia, Belize

#39 Postby BZSTORM » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:34 pm

Sorry for not getting back, got tied up with puttng thisng back in order, rain didn't amount to much for us last night, the few times I tuned into the radio shows were normal i.e. sunday music and sermons, normally if flooding occuring there are bulletins every fifteen minutes or sooner. We had cool night last night 76F but by midday temps in my area where back up to 90F and winds E/SE 5 kts or less all day. They are forecasting rain/thundershowers & winds W/NW 5-15kt for tomorrow. There was damage to docks on the point Placencia yesterday when the winds shifted to more S Westerly around 1pm, by 3pm seas were calm and damage was accesed a dive shop which is situated over water, had some structual damage - boards came off but remained in situ and the dock I understand is I quote "a different shape", they managed to get all gear out except the compressor so although some damage not as bad as it could have been, 2 other docks lost boards. The main headache is all the trash which was washed on shore, tons of plastic!!! mixed with sticks, pumice etc, I was told allot of young corals (probably those which had been establishing themselves in the turtle grass which grows on that side of Placencia (tht side is not a bathing beach) and moon jelly fish were washed up too, (re jelly fish I friend told me few days before the storm hit that there had been great numbers just off shore in Punta Negra/Punta Gorda area of Toledo - which is sad because with the high temps in the seas currently there is allot of coral bleaching occuring. Seine Bight didn't get anything more than tons of trash wash up, as did Maya Beach. Reports from most cayes near Placencia is none - minimal damage again main complaint is all the plastic trash washed up. Warning that flooding could still occur as they are expecting the flooded rivers in Guatemala to soon enter the mopan in Belize this will affect the cayo and Belize river valley areas mainly. In Toledo they also expect rivers feed from Honduras and Guatemala to flood later this week as the excess waters slowly feed downriver. the current flood forcast at this link http://www.hydromet.gov.bz/Flood_Forecast.htm
0 likes   

User avatar
artist
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 9408
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:26 pm
Location: West Palm

Re:

#40 Postby artist » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:40 am

BZSTORM wrote:Sorry for not getting back, got tied up with puttng thisng back in order, rain didn't amount to much for us last night, the few times I tuned into the radio shows were normal i.e. sunday music and sermons, normally if flooding occuring there are bulletins every fifteen minutes or sooner. We had cool night last night 76F but by midday temps in my area where back up to 90F and winds E/SE 5 kts or less all day. They are forecasting rain/thundershowers & winds W/NW 5-15kt for tomorrow. There was damage to docks on the point Placencia yesterday when the winds shifted to more S Westerly around 1pm, by 3pm seas were calm and damage was accesed a dive shop which is situated over water, had some structual damage - boards came off but remained in situ and the dock I understand is I quote "a different shape", they managed to get all gear out except the compressor so although some damage not as bad as it could have been, 2 other docks lost boards. The main headache is all the trash which was washed on shore, tons of plastic!!! mixed with sticks, pumice etc, I was told allot of young corals (probably those which had been establishing themselves in the turtle grass which grows on that side of Placencia (tht side is not a bathing beach) and moon jelly fish were washed up too, (re jelly fish I friend told me few days before the storm hit that there had been great numbers just off shore in Punta Negra/Punta Gorda area of Toledo - which is sad because with the high temps in the seas currently there is allot of coral bleaching occuring. Seine Bight didn't get anything more than tons of trash wash up, as did Maya Beach. Reports from most cayes near Placencia is none - minimal damage again main complaint is all the plastic trash washed up. Warning that flooding could still occur as they are expecting the flooded rivers in Guatemala to soon enter the mopan in Belize this will affect the cayo and Belize river valley areas mainly. In Toledo they also expect rivers feed from Honduras and Guatemala to flood later this week as the excess waters slowly feed downriver. the current flood forcast at this link http://www.hydromet.gov.bz/Flood_Forecast.htm


it's so good to hear from you BZSTORM! Glad you are ok and there does not seem to be severe damage and flooding. Yeah, it looks like this broad low that is down there now is wanting to stick around awhile. Thanks for letting us know you are ok. Keep us updated if anything more happens.

We still haven't heard from alanstover yet. Hope all is ok.

Once again, know our thoughts and prayers are with all.
0 likes   


Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests