Lightning Strikes Twice (Hurricane Isaac survival)

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

LAwxrgal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Lightning Strikes Twice (Hurricane Isaac survival)

#1 Postby LAwxrgal » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:40 am

Lightning Strikes Twice

As I write this, I'm in a hurricane shelter in Shreveport, Louisiana. This is somewhere I never thought I'd be. I'm not sure why I'm here, I don't know if it's some kind of divine plan or something or if I'm being punished for some imaginary crime I've committed somewhere a long time ago in the cosmos or something. I know I'm probably rambling, it's 12:30 in the morning, I need a good night's sleep, a hot meal, a warm bath... you know, to return to something resembling normal. But I need to rewind... and tell you how I got here in the first place.
Seven years ago, I survived the process of Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana. And now, lightning has struck again.
I probably should have known better. I thought I was done with hurricanes. I thought I could deal with them.
Mother Nature has ways of forcing you to relearn lessons you should have learned a long time ago.
Allow me to rewind the clock one week, on August 25. I'd just attended my aunt's funeral up in the country. Her death was a sad time for all of us, as she was my last living aunt on that side of the family. She would be missed in other ways, too, but more on that later. The funeral expenses also hit us hard in our wallets, leaving us nearly penniless.
I decided to check Storm2K for progress on what was then Tropical Storm Isaac. For days, forecasters had the storm hitting the Florida Panhandle and we in Louisiana had nothing to worry about.
For the second time in seven years, I was wrong -- and this time, nearly dead wrong, as models once again shifted toward Louisiana. I had seen this movie before. It didn't end well.
On Sunday, my sister had gone to my aunt's to help clean up her cottage which would be put up for sale. That was when the very first rumbles about then Tropical Storm Isaac appeared on the local news. But it was only a passing mention, not a grave concern.
However, as the days passed, along with the proximity to the Katrina anniversary, local meteorologists continue to sound alarms. But nothing could prepare me for what would happen next.

(to be continued, my laptop is losing power as I speak and my internet connection is slow to non existent)
0 likes   
Andrew 92/Isidore & Lili 02/Bill 03/Katrina & Rita 05/Gustav & Ike 08/Isaac 12 (flooded my house)/Harvey 17/Barry 19/Cristobal 20/Claudette 21/Ida 21 (In the Eye)
Wake me up when November ends

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#2 Postby somethingfunny » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:00 am

Oh my God, LAwxrgal ..... I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your house. Keep us updated when you can; I know there's many other things on your plate during this time.

It's in times like these that family truly becomes so important. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help you now.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby artist » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:29 am

Lawxgrl, I am so sorry. My prayers are with you all.
Last edited by artist on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Nikki
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Santa Fe, TX (yes I typed that right TEXAS not New Mexico, I am about 20 miles from Galveston, TX)

Re: Lightning Strikes Twice (Hurricane Isaac survival)

#4 Postby Nikki » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:54 pm

Lawxgrl please let us know you are ok as soon as you can! You have been in my thoughts and prayers!!
0 likes   
My name is Nicole and this is what I go by in Storm2k chat! Come chat with us! We have fun in there too!!

A teacher's purpose is not to create students in her own image, but to develop students who can create their own image. ~Author Unknown

Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby artist » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:24 pm

Thinking about you Lawxgrl. Please check in when you can.
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby brunota2003 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:22 am

I asked this in the other thread, figured I would in here too, is there anything we can do to help?
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#7 Postby CajunMama » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:11 am

I am so deeply saddened to hear what has happened to you and your family. Please know you have our love and support. Like others have said, please tell us if there is anything we can do to help.
0 likes   

bevgo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby bevgo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:23 am

I am so sorry to hear this. You and your family are in my prayers.
0 likes   

BreinLa
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#9 Postby BreinLa » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:58 pm

Oh LA I am so sorry, is there anything we can do let us know
0 likes   

Nikki
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Santa Fe, TX (yes I typed that right TEXAS not New Mexico, I am about 20 miles from Galveston, TX)

#10 Postby Nikki » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:52 pm

Has anyone heard from LAwxrgal???
0 likes   
My name is Nicole and this is what I go by in Storm2k chat! Come chat with us! We have fun in there too!!

A teacher's purpose is not to create students in her own image, but to develop students who can create their own image. ~Author Unknown

Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby brunota2003 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:45 pm

I was wondering the same thing. I am sure things are very busy, and might not have time to check in.
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby brunota2003 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:27 pm

Anyone heard from LA? Been two months now...
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby brunota2003 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:27 am

Anyone hear anything from our S2K member?
0 likes   

LAwxrgal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby LAwxrgal » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:22 pm

Hi guys,
Thanks for your concern, and I'm sorry for completely vanishing off the face of the earth! :lol: I also apologize for necroposting, I know that's kinda not allowed but I guess I can be excused here... I've been lurking for a bit, but I found my old password so... :lol:

To make a very long story very short, I ended up in a hurricane shelter in Shreveport for two days after Lake Pontchartrain paid me a visit in 2012 after Category 1 Hurricane Isaac flooded my house. We were rescued in the thick of night after the fire department did a comb through of our street. It was pitch dark outside (one of these days this will probably be recorded in a book) and rode for six hours with strangers on a chartered bus. I had nieces and nephews on the bus and they kind of looked at the trip like a mini vacation. We're only now getting somewhat back on our feet. I lived with my sister for awhile, then we had to go through a lot of other stuff. I've also been dealing with some health issues, too.

Guys, if there are tropical system warnings posted for your area, you've got to take them seriously. I live a hundred miles inland and my house flooded because of storm surge from the lake and the angle the storm came in. :eek: Every house on my street flooded. Every single house on that street took water.
0 likes   
Andrew 92/Isidore & Lili 02/Bill 03/Katrina & Rita 05/Gustav & Ike 08/Isaac 12 (flooded my house)/Harvey 17/Barry 19/Cristobal 20/Claudette 21/Ida 21 (In the Eye)
Wake me up when November ends

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”