Evacuee Shelter in Lafayette, LA

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Tenspeed
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Evacuee Shelter in Lafayette, LA

#1 Postby Tenspeed » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:22 pm

The American Red Cross is asking for your help. They have set up a shelter at the Cajundome in Lafayette, LA. They are in need of money, cots, mattresses, and baby bottles. United Way of Acadiana is also asking for volunteers. I don't know if any of you are from the Acadiana area, but we need to help our neighbors. You can reach the United Way through KATC TV 3 at 337-236-6360. God Bless Everyone!
0 likes   

Innotech
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Innotech » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:30 pm

I have a lot of faith in my city coming together to do everything it can. Lafayette has wonderful people in it and I will set aside osme itme to hlep out in osme way.
0 likes   

BreinLa
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#3 Postby BreinLa » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:38 pm

To add to Tens post, Blackum Collesium is housing the pets of all the people staying at the Cajundome. Both facilities are fairly close to each other. Volunteers will stay with the pets 24/7 but are asking the owners to visit their pet twice a day to feed and love them.
0 likes   

crazycajuncane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby crazycajuncane » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:05 pm

Cajundome is up to the thousands in evacuees already.

I proposed this idea at 9:30am this morning about opening the Cajundome and Convention center and good thing they were on top of it already, because around 10:45 am I heard the Cajundome was opening.

Lafayette WILL come together and we are going to provide lots of support. I'm going to be buying bottled water and sending it to the Cajundome and I'll be asking everyone to do the same.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#5 Postby CajunMama » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:24 pm

They couldn't open the Cajundome as a Red Cross Shelter until today because it is south of I-10. The storm has to be out of the way before they can open it.

Red Cross thru United Way is looking for volunteers to work 8 hour shifts. Call the United Way for info.
0 likes   

Jagno
Category 3
Category 3

#6 Postby Jagno » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:30 pm

CajunMama, I just hope and pray that Lafayette comes together in mass with donations and blood the way Lake Charles has. We've even got full container trucks filled to the top in addition to another 6,000 sq ft of storage with food, water, diaper, toiletries and most of all volunteers out of the woodwork from as far away as New York working round the clock to make these folks as comfortable as possible. We did have one elderly gentleman pass away in his sleep last night. The non-denominational clergy held a special mass in the theater for him this afternoon. They even have offices set up with crisis counselors, doctors, and the teachers are meeting tonight to find a way to educate some of these children so that they aren't so far behind. I know you can do it!!!!
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”