How will they evacuate the Superdome?

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

therealashe
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

How will they evacuate the Superdome?

#1 Postby therealashe » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:22 pm

They need to get them out soon right? If they are expected flooding to be 5 foot above sea level, where will that leave the Superdome?
0 likes   

gabrielle01
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#2 Postby gabrielle01 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:00 pm

Hundreds if not thousands of helicopters air evacuating all of them from the Superdome to safer ground. Time is of essence and it is rapidly dwindling thanks to rising waters.
0 likes   

canegrl04
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby canegrl04 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:06 pm

Its very time consuming to evacuate ten to 30 thousand people by helicopter.I don't really think they will make it before the flood waters overtake the city :cry:
0 likes   

baitism
Category 1
Category 1

#4 Postby baitism » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:43 pm

canegrl04 wrote:Its very time consuming to evacuate ten to 30 thousand people by helicopter.I don't really think they will make it before the flood waters overtake the city :cry:

The superdome wont flood on the upper levels. Its a tall structure.
0 likes   

EDR1222
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby EDR1222 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:54 pm

On Larry Kings discussion with the Governor of Louisiana this evening, she stated that they are still trying to come up with a plan. The bad news is the initial efforts by the Army Corp of engineers to stop the breach in the levy has failed and water continues to pour into the city. Time is definately of the essence for getting people out, but outside of helicopter right now, there are just not many options. Hopefully they can at least get the breach fixed and begin to drain the water which would hopefully allow more types of transportation into the area.
0 likes   

gunner1551
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby gunner1551 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:59 pm

The problem is that it will takes weeks to drain all the water. On FOX news they had an expert and he said in optimum conditions the pumps can take a foot of water out per day, thats with all pumps working. Other repots have been filed in which they said that the few pumps that are working right now will soon shut down due to rising water.
0 likes   

Callista
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#7 Postby Callista » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:54 pm

I'm starting to wonder whether it'll be worthwhile to rebuild NO... at least in the area where it used to be. Move it ten miles inland, maybe...
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby gatorcane » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:03 pm

CNN is mentioning the REAL possibility of evacuating the superdome due to rising water....
0 likes   

sertorius
Category 2
Category 2

#9 Postby sertorius » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:10 pm

One problem with pumping the water is the catamination-if you just pump all the water out as is, you could very well be inviting an eclogical disaster on a very fragile eco system which in turn supports the whole economy of the area. I pray to God that they can fix the levee, but they are also going to have to think about what all that contaminated water will do-this whole situation is truly beyond comprehension. :(
0 likes   

thunderchief
Category 1
Category 1

#10 Postby thunderchief » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:15 pm

Mayor of NO said that people might be in the dome for a week.

I dont see that working.
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby gtalum » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:16 pm

thunderchief wrote:Mayor of NO said that people might be in the dome for a week.

I dont see that working.

The governor just said they're goign to try to get them out tomorrow or Thursday.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby Brent » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:30 pm

gtalum wrote:
thunderchief wrote:Mayor of NO said that people might be in the dome for a week.

I dont see that working.

The governor just said they're goign to try to get them out tomorrow or Thursday.

OUT OF CONTROL!!!

What has happened to the Government??? The first rule to fixing a disaster or averting an even bigger one is COORDINATION. :roll:
0 likes   
#neversummer

MBismyPlayground
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby MBismyPlayground » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:34 pm

This is all sort of strange. I have noticed that the news channels are repeating interviews, without really saying it is a repeat. Which causes some big time misinformation and confusion.
Seems the lady govenor has been in contact with FEMA about the evacuation of NO. Not sure when the last interview with the mayor was.
0 likes   

jopatura
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14 Postby jopatura » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:35 pm

Breaking news from KTRK in Houston, x-posted in another thread. Superdome being evacuated tonight due to the water rising too fast. There isn't enough time to wait until morning.
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#15 Postby jasons2k » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:47 pm

sertorius wrote:One problem with pumping the water is the catamination-if you just pump all the water out as is, you could very well be inviting an eclogical disaster on a very fragile eco system which in turn supports the whole economy of the area. I pray to God that they can fix the levee, but they are also going to have to think about what all that contaminated water will do-this whole situation is truly beyond comprehension. :(

WOW - I had never even thought of that - where does all that sewage end up??? WOW
0 likes   

BigO
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Location: Marietta, GA: Knows what it means to miss New Orleans...

#16 Postby BigO » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:49 pm

I'm guessing by boat before it is over.
0 likes   

crazycajuncane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby crazycajuncane » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:41 pm

Here is what I heard from local officials. They are evacuating the dome now! They are sending bus loads of people to Lafayette, LA once they get them out the dome ( I'm guessing by boat?)

There is a massive "borrow your boat" caimpaign going on right now. They are asking anyone who can lend a boat to do so.

Also... reports (locally) that people in the Superdome are strangling themselves to death with plastic bags. Hysteria is setting in.

Source: KATC, The Cajundome in Lafayette, LA
0 likes   

MKT2005

#18 Postby MKT2005 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:04 am

crazycajuncane wrote:Here is what I heard from local officials. They are evacuating the dome now! They are sending bus loads of people to Lafayette, LA once they get them out the dome ( I'm guessing by boat?)

There is a massive "borrow your boat" caimpaign going on right now. They are asking anyone who can lend a boat to do so.

Also... reports (locally) that people in the Superdome are strangling themselves to death with plastic bags. Hysteria is setting in.

Source: KATC, The Cajundome in Lafayette, LA

Many of those people probably are rescued people who lost everthing, or loved ones. They probably think their is no reason for them to live any more. :( So very sad.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”