Possible Thousands of bodies(Unoffical report)

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

djtil
Category 2
Category 2

#21 Postby djtil » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:25 am

Heard the exact same rumors after Andrew too, although after looking at all the news footage up and down the coast, this seems entirely possible, unless everyone totally evac'd......and we know that didn't happen

you would think the percentage of people right at the coast not evacuating would be small.....how could you be that stupid? i can understand the thrill-seekers in a few miles but right on the beach?

man....the darwin awards ceremony is going to run over.
0 likes   

NateFLA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby NateFLA » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:25 am

StrongWind wrote:I really pray this is not true. Just to refresh peoples' memories - after the hurricanes last year, there were rumors of massive deaths, secret convoys of unmarked refrigerator morgue trucks, government coverups...

Where are the missing employees that didn't show up for work, the unpaid taxes, the lots where the neighbors never came back, etc.

Sorry, a little too tin foil hat for me.
0 likes   

djtil
Category 2
Category 2

#23 Postby djtil » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:26 am

Where are the missing employees that didn't show up for work, the unpaid taxes, the lots where the neighbors never came back, etc.

Sorry, a little too tin foil hat for me.

they are always "illegals" to the conspirators....hence no paperwork.

:roll:
0 likes   

THead
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#24 Postby THead » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:30 am

djtil wrote:
Heard the exact same rumors after Andrew too, although after looking at all the news footage up and down the coast, this seems entirely possible, unless everyone totally evac'd......and we know that didn't happen

you would think the percentage of people right at the coast not evacuating would be small.....how could you be that stupid? i can understand the thrill-seekers in a few miles but right on the beach?

I keep hearing the same thing over and over from people that didn't evac.....'we survived Camille just fine with minimal damage, so we thought..............'
0 likes   

wwicko
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#25 Postby wwicko » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:34 am

THead wrote:Heard the exact same rumors after Andrew too, although after looking at all the news footage up and down the coast, this seems entirely possible, unless everyone totally evac'd......and we know that didn't happen. :(

Last night on one of the internet television broadcasts, I forget which one now, it was stated that pre-evacuation surveys indicated that about 50% of people on the coast Mississippi did not intend to evacuate.
0 likes   

southernbelle
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#26 Postby southernbelle » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:11 am

More reports are starting to come out: http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/ ... 517310.htm

:( :( :(
0 likes   

dolebot_Broward_NW
Category 2
Category 2

#27 Postby dolebot_Broward_NW » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:04 am

Heard the exact same rumors after Andrew too, although after looking at all the news footage up and down the coast, this seems entirely possible, unless everyone totally evac'd......and we know that didn't happen.

I thought the same thing about the news footage. It was eerie there were so few people.
0 likes   

inotherwords
Category 2
Category 2

#28 Postby inotherwords » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:26 am

djtil wrote:

Wow...insensitive, much?

People were flooded several miles from the coast. I live 1/2 mile from the Gulf in Southwest FL and have never been able to get a straight answer from anyone how deep and far a storm surge could come into my home based on local geography, my elevation and a storm's intensity. What makes you think that people living four or five miles from the shore in an area not hit with a big storm in 50 years would not have thought themselves out of range from a storm surge? Who would ever have thought it would have come in FOUR OR FIVE MILES? The tsunami came in less than that.

I'll tell you, there but for the grace of God go MANY of us.
Last edited by inotherwords on Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Doc Seminole

#29 Postby Doc Seminole » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:26 am

Seems to me that prior to landfall there was an estimate of at least 100,000 in New Orleans who didn't evacuate. If that is correct, multiple thousands of deaths is possible.
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#30 Postby gtalum » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:49 am

Anything written at Free Republic has to be taken with a grain of salt. It's nothing but a bunch of hyper-conservative conpiracy theorists.

That said, I wouldn't be entirely shocked to find out there are thousands dead form this storm.
0 likes   

Air Force Met
Military Met
Military Met

#31 Postby Air Force Met » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:08 am

gtalum wrote:Anything written at Free Republic has to be taken with a grain of salt. It's nothing but a bunch of hyper-conservative conpiracy theorists.

That said, I wouldn't be entirely shocked to find out there are thousands dead form this storm.

Please...
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”