Folk Hero Sheriff could face criminal charges

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#61 Postby Dionne » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:46 am

I've done a bit of research (to say the least) into the ice trucks seizure by McGee. The soldiers name is Capt. Michael Bryant. He has been ordered not to say anything. When McGee took the trucks they had been sitting idle for 3 days. Over a period of 5 hours McGee had attempted to contact FEMA.....they never answered the telephone. Capt. Bryant attempted to stop the trucks by reaching for the ignition keys. This is when McGee cuffed Bryant.

The world needs to understand that we were desperate down here.
0 likes   

Huckster
Category 1
Category 1

#62 Postby Huckster » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:54 am

Derek Ortt wrote:I agree something should have been done... that something is meet with the soldier's commanding officer.

I would not mind the sherriff getting LIFE to send an example that our brave soldiers will not be treated this way by local officials who simply do not agree with their orders from their superiors

Ok, call me young and stupid, but you think the sheriff should essentially be killed (to ME that's what "LIFE" [in prison] means) because a soldier guarding an ice truck got hand cuffed? I don't have the time or care to research this matter and try to build a case against anyone, but this whole thing reminds me of the situations where Jesus and the disciples walked through a field of wheat and picked the kernels and ate on the Sabbath, and also the time when Jesus healed a sick man on the Sabbath. "He broke the LAW" the Pharisees said. "Crucify him!" they shouted later on. The saving of lives is more important than military honor and respect for human dignity is more to be valued than tradition. He saved the world by dying for it because he angered the religious officials. I'm not proposing anarchy, just common sense. Thank God our Lord used it. We'd do well to do the same.
0 likes   

george_r_1961
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#63 Postby george_r_1961 » Sat May 06, 2006 8:42 pm

Brave soldiers? How brave does one have to be to guard an ice truck?

Huh??? Stop and think. These brave soldiers were performing their duties under horrible conditions; there wouldnt have been a guard there if there wasnt some risk of it getting hijacked. Maybe its safer than being stationed in Iraq but theres still a real element of danger there. If my father was still around he could tell you some stories about Hurricane Audrey; as a young soldier he was involved in the cleanup and rescue efforts down there. The conditions he had to endure were dangerous and most ppl in his unit worked around the clock until they were so fatigued they had to be ordered to stand down and get some sleep.
0 likes   

george_r_1961
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#64 Postby george_r_1961 » Sat May 06, 2006 8:47 pm

Dionne wrote:I've done a bit of research (to say the least) into the ice trucks seizure by McGee. The soldiers name is Capt. Michael Bryant. He has been ordered not to say anything. When McGee took the trucks they had been sitting idle for 3 days. Over a period of 5 hours McGee had attempted to contact FEMA.....they never answered the telephone. Capt. Bryant attempted to stop the trucks by reaching for the ignition keys. This is when McGee cuffed Bryant.

The world needs to understand that we were desperate down here.

Believe me I understand. After Isabel people would have killed here for a bag of ice. And she was barely a Cat 1 here.
0 likes   

timNms
Category 5
Category 5

#65 Postby timNms » Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 pm

george_r_1961 wrote:Brave soldiers? How brave does one have to be to guard an ice truck?

Huh??? Stop and think. These brave soldiers were performing their duties under horrible conditions; there wouldnt have been a guard there if there wasnt some risk of it getting hijacked. Maybe its safer than being stationed in Iraq but theres still a real element of danger there. If my father was still around he could tell you some stories about Hurricane Audrey; as a young soldier he was involved in the cleanup and rescue efforts down there. The conditions he had to endure were dangerous and most ppl in his unit worked around the clock until they were so fatigued they had to be ordered to stand down and get some sleep.

And while these brave soldiers were performing their duties, people is Forrest county were suffering because there was NO ICE and in many cases, no fresh water for them. I think the Sheriff did what the government didn't think to do (or was incapable of doing for reasons unknown). Seriously, I'd like to know just how long they planned to keep the ice there in trucks when people were in desperate need of it. Yes, people along the coast needed ice too, but it was doing no one any good just sitting there for days.

Again, I'll say that I have the utmost respect for anyone who is willing to put their lives on the line and fight for our country, but sometimes common sense will tell you that you just have to do what's right, not what someone sitting behind a desk tells you to do. :)

I'll also say that unless you've been in the situation that many of us in south Mississippi were in, you will never understand just how bad it really was. (and how good a glass of ice water tasted after five days of drinking hot bottled water LOL.
0 likes   

george_r_1961
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#66 Postby george_r_1961 » Sat May 06, 2006 8:55 pm

Tim all in all this was a terrible situation. Everyone involved was either following orders or doing what their heart told them to do. Sorry if I came across too strong.
0 likes   

timNms
Category 5
Category 5

#67 Postby timNms » Sun May 07, 2006 7:34 am

george_r_1961 wrote:Tim all in all this was a terrible situation. Everyone involved was either following orders or doing what their heart told them to do. Sorry if I came across too strong.

No problem, George. I just get a bit testy when I hear people who haven't been thru the ordeal that south MS/LA and New Orleans residents went thru (and in some cases, are still going thru) say what they would or would not have done under the circumstances.

I used to be one of those who wanted the storm to come my way. Never again lol. In the past, we'd gotten effects from Georges, Elena, Frederick, Isadore, remnants of Andrew, and a few tropical storms, and we thought we'd seen what a hurricane could do....a little wind, some rain, loss of power for a few hours... WRONG :eek: I guess 30-something years after Camille, one tends to forget.

I don't think anyone in this area about 100 miles north of the coast were prepared for what Katrina would bring us. We caught up drinking water, bought a few non perishable food items, but had no idea we'd need enough to last us 2 weeks. Heck, my daughter, son, and I stood on my front porch watching the wind blow during most of the storm. When the eyewall began to move over us, the NWS issued a tornado warning for our county. What did I do? Stood on the porch and watched lol. My house creaked, popped, shook, and vibrated in the winds. The trees in my front yard almost reached the ground as the wind bent them. But I honestly had no idea that it was as bad as it was until after the eye passed over us and we tried to drive down the road. Powerlines and trees were blocking the way about 100 yrds south and a huge oak was across the road at the end of my driveway to my north. After about an hour, neighbors began coming out with chain saws and tractors trying to clear the road. We finally managed to get to Seminary (bout 4 miles south of me). We saw a deputy from our county and asked if my wife could get to Collins because she was scheduled to work the night shift at the hospital. He said the roads were blocked. We had no phone service and no way to contact relatives or anyone else. It was scary not knowing if my brother and his family and my wife's mom and dad were ok or not. We didn't get in touch with my inlaws until late Tuesday afternoon when the roads were finally cleared enough so that we could make our way to their house. In many instances, the 4 lane highway (49) was reduced to two lanes. Country roads were like one lane trails that cars had to wind down, dodging fallen trees and powerlines. Heaven forbid you meet someone coming from the opposite direction. You prayed you didn't get stuck in the mud on side of the road. In some places, you had to leave the road to get around trees.
There were no stores open because no one had electricity. That meant no gas, food, or any other thing one might need. We had no running water for a day or two, which meant if you got your hands dirty, they stayed that way unless you dared use some of your drinking water to wash them. Taking a bath was out of the question. It was hot, sticky, muggy and miserable. The first night wasn't too bad. We stayed with my mom because I was afraid to leave her by herself. She had COPD and couldn't use her nebulizer because we had no electricity nor a generator. There was a cool breeze blowing that night...but man, it was awful after that. I slept on my mom's front porch the next few nights, fighting the mosquitoes off. THen the love bugs came and sleeping outside was out of the question. Then my uncle died in the wee hours of the morning on the Wed. following the storm. I had to weave my way to the hospital to get an ambulance. They told me that if my wife could come in the next day, they could use the help. (She was on her days off by then.) They were running on one generator at the hospital, which meant the 2nd floor had no electricity. My wife and her co-workers were allowed to work in short pants because it was so hot. They had to use flashlights in order to see how to care for their patients.
Getting gas was impossible for the first few days after the storm. Finally, on the thursday following the storm, one of my wife's co-workers told her to take our car to her brother's gas station and park it at the pumps because the town of Collins was supposed to get power restored sometime that day. We took my car and left it there at around noon. At 6Pm my kids and I went to wait at my car while my wife went to work. At 11:30 pm, the power was finally turned on. It was a miserable wait, to say the least, but worth it. He allowed me to fill the car up since my wife was a nurse and needed the gas to go to and from work, but others were limited to 10 gallons.

Didn't mean to write a novel here, but just wanted to let you know how bad it really was...and the sad thing is, as bad as it was here, it was many times worse along MS's coast. We were blessed in that we still have a home. We lost a few shingles, lost a vent off of the top of the house and got a temporary water bed, but other than that, we did well. (Ins. finally paid $4000 in March). Thank God for roofing tar LOL.

You can believe one thing. The next time they say "hurricane in the gulf" this man will be prepared. I'll have a freezer full of ice and bottled water, a generator big enough to keep my freezer, refridgerator, and window unit ac going, and enough gas to keep the generator running for 2 or 3 weeks LOL. And of course, plenty of food and something to cook it on. I got SICK of potted meat sandwiches! (IF i had a choice, I'd go wayyyy north, but with my wife being a nurse, the hospital will need her, so we're stuck)
0 likes   

debbiemo2
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Tim, I so identify with your post...

#68 Postby debbiemo2 » Mon May 08, 2006 11:06 pm

Maybe because we're neighbors.. :D I live in Hattiesburg.

I lived on the coast (Pass Christian) for a few years and prepared and even left for hurricanes, but I've never been through anything like this one.

Katrina kicked our butts! And my beautiful coast...wow...so sad! My husband I went back to the Pass on New Year's day and all I could do is cry.

I'm preparing more this year, too. We have the generator now...and I'm stocking up on water and all the other supplies. I never want to go through that again!

Debbie
0 likes   

debbiemo2
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

And this is what's left....

#69 Postby debbiemo2 » Mon May 08, 2006 11:35 pm

of our house...our first house...in Pass Christian...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ ... errace.jpg

Debbie
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#70 Postby Dionne » Tue May 09, 2006 10:02 am

Tim....I can certainly relate to your ordeal.

We came through Seminary in the early morning hours of August 30, enroute to Hattiesburg. Highway 49 was closed due to tree fall. A MHP trooper tried to turn us around near Collins. The trooper was surprised to see us....he was under the impression 49 was impassable north of him. We explained that it was.......and we had cut enough room for one lane to pass. South of Seminary we had to cross over to the northbound lane....the southbound lane was beyond description.

It took us 12 hours to travel 90 miles. I have no idea how many trees we cut.

Please understand that doing this was dangerous. But we had no choice. Our daughter had called from Hattiesburg......"Daddy trees are falling on the house, I cannot get out.....come get me"..........

We got her......she had a few bruises and was an emotional wreck. We evacuated immediately. There were natural gas leaks everywhere.

As we drove north......she told me that for 5 hours.....she didn't know if she would survive.

She now lives in Memphis.

Frequently, I wonder about the people we met that night. It would be nice to know that they are all okay.
0 likes   

timNms
Category 5
Category 5

#71 Postby timNms » Tue May 09, 2006 2:35 pm

Dionne,
I'm thankful she was safe. Had it not been for people like you trying to reach loved ones, our highways might still be blocked because I didn't see any county workers trying to clear anything after the storm...of course, that was probably because they were trying to get out of their driveways :)
0 likes   

timNms
Category 5
Category 5

Re: And this is what's left....

#72 Postby timNms » Wed May 10, 2006 8:51 am

debbiemo2 wrote:of our house...our first house...in Pass Christian...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ ... errace.jpg

Debbie

That is just terrible. I'm sorry for your loss.
0 likes   

timNms
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Tim, I so identify with your post...

#73 Postby timNms » Wed May 10, 2006 8:55 am

debbiemo2 wrote:Maybe because we're neighbors.. :D I live in Hattiesburg.

I lived on the coast (Pass Christian) for a few years and prepared and even left for hurricanes, but I've never been through anything like this one.

Katrina kicked our butts! And my beautiful coast...wow...so sad! My husband I went back to the Pass on New Year's day and all I could do is cry.

I'm preparing more this year, too. We have the generator now...and I'm stocking up on water and all the other supplies. I never want to go through that again!

Debbie

I think a lot of us will be better prepared for the next one.

Wasn't it terrible here? People really have no idea just how bad it was this far north of the coast because the news media only covered the coastal areas and new orleans.
0 likes   

HurryKane
Category 5
Category 5

#74 Postby HurryKane » Wed May 10, 2006 9:10 am

People really have no idea just how bad it was this far north of the coast because the news media only covered the coastal areas and new orleans.

Funny story: I was visiting Vicksburg about three or so months after the storm on business. One guy from V'burg was telling me how bad the storm had been for them. He detailed every little thing that had happened to his home (to be fair, they did take a fairly nasty hit). Then he said, "Have you HEARD about the destruction on the Mississippi Gulf Coast? It's terrible! And no one ever talks about it! Have you heard about it?"

Instead of smashing his head in, I calmly said, "Why yes, yes I have. I LIVE in it. On the Mississippi. Gulf. Coast."

I laugh about it now, because back then everyone was clamoring for "most affected" status. We were so silly :)
0 likes   

debbiemo2
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#75 Postby debbiemo2 » Wed May 10, 2006 11:31 pm

Tim...absolutely it was terrible! I morn the loss of my first born's first house...but the destruction was so massive that I can't really dwell on that. When we lived in Pass Christian we went through several hurricane scares and survived them. We left for one, but rode out the others. My husband was the prinipal of Pass High which is why rode out the ones that we did. We actually put our animals in the janitor closet of the school for one storm and waited with our neighbors to see what it was going to do. Thankfully...it went around us.

HurryKane...glad you didn't smash that guy's head in...LOL I can certainly understand why you wanted to, though!

Dionne...how scary for you! Worrying about your daughter must have been awful. So glad you found her and she's okay!
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#76 Postby Dionne » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:27 pm

Anybody else notice how this all went away quietly?

Or did I miss something? They are not delivering newspapers in Waveland.....imagine that!!!!!!!

Nobody walks, nobody talks......some light sentencing.....now y'all go back to work.

This entire Katrina ordeal has really come to make me appreciate the coastal south.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Folk Hero Sheriff could face criminal charges

#77 Postby Dionne » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:24 am

The last I heard was that Billy McGee was running for governor. His campaign slogan is "Unafraid to lead"....

Also....Forrest county law enforcement is no longer allowed on Camp Shelby.
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#78 Postby MSRobi911 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:36 pm

If ya'll knew everything that happened down here after Katrina, ya'll wouldn't be so quick to judge. Yes, the Sheriff was wrong in cuffing the National Guardsman, but the people in his county were desperate.

I know for a fact that "stuff" like gas and ice were all being stopped in Harrison County by their Director of their EOC retired General Spraggins (sp) who had just taken over the job the day Katrina hit here. We in Jackson County received no ice, the Sheriffs Dept received no gas nor did the local Police Departments and all because this man was holding everything over there, even though it was to be sent to us for quite a while. Somehow two 18 wheeler trucks found their way to Pascagoula with gas because they came from Alabama (don't know how they got here) but they did....man was their an uproar! The Deputies and the PD Patrolmen were using gas from their own vehicles to patrol with, the ones that had cars, which were not too many. We won't talk about food and clothing being stopped over there as that wasn't a big deal, EXCEPT for all the BABIES that didn't have any formula to drink because it was all being stopped over there. This didn't happen just in the few days after Katrina, it was weeks.

With this said, it wasn't just FEMA dragging their feet, there were OTHERS that tried to keep everything for their county instead of sending it to where it belonged. All three coastal counties of MS were totally devastated and needed everything and anything that we could get.

Mary
0 likes   

bevgo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#79 Postby bevgo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:42 pm

Mary, You are sooo right. It seemed like nothing was getting to us here on the coast. I had a 2 1/2 y/o GS that would not eat hurricane food (potted meat, vienna sausage.......) He also got sick and there was NO access to healthcare. My hubby is in administration in a hospital and we could not even get in the door with him if we tried. I had to leave after 3 days. Couldn't take it anymore. I was sick, baby was sick the smell was overwhelming, and there seemed to be no hope of any improvement for a long time to come.

Fema managed to get these gigantic generators into a parking lot here in Ocean Springs and all the workers that were there with the generators had big lights powered by them and were grilling food. They had shower facilities, etc but NO food or water could make it to the citizens? I will never understand the response here. There was a big truck that was rumored to have ice and water but it sat for 3 days and was never unloaded. There were armed guards around it. I had water and Ice but I know many, many people that did not. This went on for sooooo long too. I came back after 2 weeks and there were still no stores open. I brought $600.00 in groceries and supplies back from out of town just to survive. When I started working again I waited in line for ice and water and took it to my patients. Many of them had no transportation and could not get help. At that point I just told the national guard that I needed water and ice for my housebound patients and they literally loaded as much as my van would hold. Of course it was never enough. I will never forget those days. I still cry when I think about how hard things were just for the 3 days I stayed. Those that could not get out like I could went through hell. My hubby had to stay and the hospital was running on generator only so no AC or any comfort measures. He even had to stand guard over the morgue truck several nights. I will NEVER go through this again.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#80 Postby Dionne » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:40 am

I remember when we left out of Hattiesburg.....we had several cases of water left. We just started handing out bottles of water to workers along the roads. I can still see the faces as they took the water.

Reading MsRobi and bevgo is hard. It brings back that hopeless feeling we all experienced in the first weeks after landfall.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”