Folk Hero Sheriff could face criminal charges

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Folk Hero Sheriff could face criminal charges

#1 Postby alicia-w » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:35 pm

This 'folk hero' sheriff could face charges
It was less than a week after Katrina laid waste to the gulf coast, and Billy McGee, the sheriff of Forrest County, Mississippi, was tired of waiting for help to arrive. So he ordered his deputies to nearby Camp Shelby, a FEMA staging area, and told them to commandeer two 18-wheelers loaded with ice that were being held under lock and key.

The officers followed McGee's orders. In the process, a National Guard soldier who tried to stop the hijacking was handcuffed. McGee is in hot water and may face criminal charges. But his community is backing him.

The opinion page editor of the local newspaper says, "Hang on." Six days after Katrina, the county had no power, no ice, and temperatures were in the 90s. The editor says FEMA's response to the disaster was anemic. People were hurting. Someone had to do something. A poll shows 88 percent of the county supports McGee.

In fact there is even a song out in the area, a tribute to McGee's actions. It tugs at heartstrings, but is a little rough on the ears.

I talked to McGee and his attorney for about an hour, all off camera. They don't like the attention and won't talk about the case with cameras running.

The investigation into the sheriff's action was being handled by a U.S. attorney in Jackson, Mississippi, but he recused himself. The case was transferred to a U.S. attorney in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, who is deciding what to do with it.

I popped into a place where people are only too willing to talk about the case -- a blue-collar diner called Mom and Dad's Country Cooking, in Petal, Mississippi, just outside Hattiesburg.

The place was filled with burly folks who look as though they don't miss many meals. In between bites, we learned the sheriff isn't some cowboy. Far from it. They say he's soft-spoken, a local fellow who's serving his fourth term. He was a good softball player, and a guy who cheated death by beating leukemia. And to a person, they support what he did 100 percent. It's elevated the sheriff to folk hero status.

One fellow summed up the sentiment in the diner, saying, "He stepped up and did something for the people. That's it."

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/anderson.cooper.360/blog/
0 likes   

LaPlaceFF
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby LaPlaceFF » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:26 pm

Billy McGhee for New Orleans mayor!!!
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby alicia-w » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:28 pm

They should just slap the guy who wants to prosecute this sheriff.
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Aquawind » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:48 pm

As much as I can appreciate Billy's stance. Cuffing a Soldier is simply not right and should not be tolerated.

Paul
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby sunny » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:37 pm

Aquawind wrote:As much as I can appreciate Billy's stance. Cuffing a Soldier is simply not right and should not be tolerated.

Paul

Gotta agree with you Paul. While Bill was doing what he thought he needed to do, this soldier was doing what he was ordered to do.
0 likes   

T'Bonz
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby T'Bonz » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:57 pm

Maybe if the idiots who are FEMA had been doing the job properly for which they were paid, the sheriff wouldn't have had to go to extremes.

If they prosecute him, FEMA should be under prosecution for their criminal mishandling of the situation.
0 likes   

StormWatcher2
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#7 Postby StormWatcher2 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:38 pm

I believe that the good Sheriff did what he had to do. But, I believe that those supplies could have been destined for points beyond that county. The residents of that county were not the only ones dealing with unpleasant conditions.

Many others were faced with much worse circumstances.

The arrest of the soldier was an abuse of power (imo).

I'm not sure that anyone can expect favorable treatment after hijacking anything from a Federal Compund.

I believe that the US attorney's action/inaction in this case must consider the circumstances that caused Sheriff McGee to do what he did while also considering how the decision in the McGee case will affect future events when a local officer considers redirecting material/supplies that are under the custody and control of the Federal government.
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Ixolib » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:21 pm

T'Bonz wrote:Maybe if the idiots who are FEMA had been doing the job properly for which they were paid, the sheriff wouldn't have had to go to extremes.

If they prosecute him, FEMA should be under prosecution for their criminal mishandling of the situation.

Wow - so many negative opinions about FEMA.

From personal experience, though, and in great discussion with many in my community, FEMA actually did pretty darn good, considering the unprecedented event with which they were confronted. Anyway, I've yet to find ANY government agency who gets it right every time - all the time. And especially the "first time". :wink:

The event was (and in many cases still is) simply and completely - overwhelming...
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#9 Postby Dionne » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:06 am

I worked Forrest county recovery efforts in the first 48 hours after Katrina.

McGee did the right thing. The powers that be at Camp Shelby were dragging their feet. They had ice we desperately needed.

Certainly there were hundreds of locations that needed that ice. I agree that he may have exceeded his authority.

I admire the man for stepping out and getting it done. Here in Mississippi.....with so much rural land and sparse population density.....we depend on our county sheriffs.
0 likes   

T'Bonz
Category 1
Category 1

#10 Postby T'Bonz » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:56 am

Ixolib wrote:Wow - so many negative opinions about FEMA.

Hurricane Andrew, 1992.

I knew how incompetent they were long before most, due to what happened down here. New Orleans didn't surprise me.
0 likes   

stormcrow
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#11 Postby stormcrow » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:24 am

He should be found guilty, given a suspended sentence; and a metal for taking care of his people.
0 likes   

LaPlaceFF
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby LaPlaceFF » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:48 pm

This is a guy they should make a movie about.
0 likes   

feederband
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby feederband » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:32 pm

sunny wrote:
Aquawind wrote:As much as I can appreciate Billy's stance. Cuffing a Soldier is simply not right and should not be tolerated.

Paul

Gotta agree with you Paul. While Bill was doing what he thought he needed to do, this soldier was doing what he was ordered to do.

Maybe cuffing the soldier was the best way to make sure it didn't get into a shooting match or something.....If I was the soldier I would of probably tell them to cuff me so it looked like I had no chance to resist...
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby sunny » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:35 pm

feederband wrote:
sunny wrote:

Paul

Maybe cuffing the soldier was the best way to make sure it didn't get into a shooting match or something.....If I was the soldier I would of probably tell them to cuff me so it looked like I had no chance to resist...

Somehow I just don't see that.

When we made our way from Atlanta to Baton Rouge, we stopped in Brookhaven. They were giving out free ice there to everyone. It wasn't FEMA, I want to say it was the local sheriff's office. I wonder why this was being done in Brookhaven and not being done in this particular situation.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#15 Postby Derek Ortt » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:21 pm

I'd like to see him tried before a military court (but I believe he cannot be) for assulting a national guradsmen. he had good intentions, but attacking a member of the US military is UNACCEPTABLE and I'd like the book to be thrown at him. He should have asked to see the commanding officer instead
0 likes   

terstorm1012
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby terstorm1012 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:38 pm

His intentions were good but he did break the law.

Of course, his actions also point out how irritating (and sometimes dangerous)bureacracy can be when trying to get something done, and we all experience that on a normal basis. After a major incident, well we have seen what happens time and time again.

Personally, I'd fine the guy (I don't think major major charges are in for him, if I read the hattiesburg paper correctly). Then I'd give him a medal for thinking outside the box.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#17 Postby Derek Ortt » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:40 pm

I dont think he should be let off easily because it was a member of the military that he assaulted. Had it have been a FEMA member, then maybe we should turn a blind eye, but the military should be treated differently
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby sunny » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:41 pm

I disagree terstorm. I just do not agree with clapping the cuffs on a national guards man. Think of how you would have felt if you were that guardsman. I'm sure the soldier's heart went out to the people, but he was under orders....
0 likes   

terstorm1012
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby terstorm1012 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:56 pm

the CNN story doesn't give the full details apparently.

He's was to plead guilty (which he agreed to) to the misdemoner charge of interfering with a federal officer. I have no idea what that charge brings. I doubt it's very harsh.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/03/25/World ... ff_w.shtml
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/ne ... 183303.htm

McGee had worked out a deal to plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge of interfering, intimidating and impeding a federal officer, but U.S. Attorney Dunn Lampton withdrew from the case without explanation and the Justice Department sent it to federal prosecutors in Louisiana.

When the charge was moved to the Louisiana Federal court that threw it all into awry.

Was I saying what he did was legal? No, he broke the law by interfering with the federal officer (as in the guardsman) by handcuffing him. But the ice got to where it needed to get to.
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby sunny » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:04 pm

terstorm1012 wrote:Was I saying what he did was legal? No, he broke the law by interfering with the federal officer (as in the guardsman) by handcuffing him. But the ice got to where it needed to get to.

lol - preaching to the choir here!!! But as my mother used to say two wrongs don't make it right
Last edited by sunny on Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”