My homeowner's went up to $2,777 from $1,650. :)

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#41 Postby Lindaloo » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:51 pm

I can understand that part of it. Good luck to you.
0 likes   

HurriCat

#42 Postby HurriCat » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:35 am

(As the smoke clears and dirt clods still rain down) :eek: Wow - pretty good exchange. A clash of titans to be sure. All in all, a great example of how two can come virtually to blows, walk that edge for a bit and then cool it down with a "we agree that we disagree" flag of truce. :)
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#43 Postby MSRobi911 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:02 am

Good going Linda!

Wayoutfront...........

I had flood insurance. I'm not saying there wasn't water in my house and that it didn't damage my house to an extent. My point is, my house was GONE. We found no part of it, nothing that belonged in it, no furniture, TV's, etc.....well we did find the fridge it was to the north and east of us, which is directly opposite of the storm surge which was north and west. There were a few shirts wrapped around and around some tree limbs with holes all in them, but that was it. There weren't even any commodes left on the slab, no bath tub, no shower.......just a concrete slab with a beautiful tongue and groove oak floor and a split brick floor in the kitchen and den. When nothing is left, you can't tell what happened to it, as I said, no one can, no one was there when it came in except for the 5 dead people about 2 blocks to the east of my house they found and still haven't identified to this day.

Have you read a Hurricane Rider that attaches to a policy? That states that it covers anything caused by a hurricane?????? That you don't have the 2% deductible, that you only have a $500.00 deductible on all hurricane claims? Take a look at one of those and read what you can into it.

How can you argue that 1 person's home is gone and you offer/pay them multiples of tens of thousands of dollars on their home for "wind damage" and their direct next door neighbor who has the exact same policy with the exact same agent with the exact same company with the exact same damage (being nothing left but the slab) is totally denied, no ifs, ands or buts? That makes no sense and it won't ever make sense to anyone.

We will let the judge settle our claim for us and see what we will see.

Enjoy your daughter and your time at home and hopefully you won't have to go out and ruin anyone else's lives with your sorry, your not covered crapola!

Mary
0 likes   

wayoutfront

#44 Postby wayoutfront » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:08 pm

you are not talking wind VS water you are talking about the anticoncurrent clauses in a policy.

and I would advise get a good lawyer
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#45 Postby Lindaloo » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:06 pm

She does have a good lawyer. :wink:
0 likes   

wayoutfront

#46 Postby wayoutfront » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:47 pm

Have you read a Hurricane Rider that attaches to a policy? That states that it covers anything caused by a hurricane??????

Yes

and its does not include flood I think the wording is like this

"Coverage under this policy includes loss or damage caused by the peril of windstorm during a hurricane. It includes damage to a building's interior or property inside a building, caused directly by rain, snow, sleet, hail, sand or dust if direct force of the windstorm fist damages the building causing an opening through which the above enters and causes damage."

it in no way removes the flood exclusion.

Are you talking about the endorsement that increases your deductible in the event of a Hurricane ?

What that endorsement does is adjust your deductible to a different premium You pay more premiun for a lower deductible and less premium for a higher deductible. It does not add or take away any coverage

again I wish you all luck If you are covered under a policy I hope you get everything you paid for and not a penny more
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#47 Postby MSRobi911 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:00 am

"again I wish you all luck If you are covered under a policy I hope you get everything you paid for and not a penny more"

Wow, wayoutfront, you are such a nice person!!!!!!! NOT!!!!

You wouldn't be one of the four men that were kicked out of Jackson County because of their attitudes to some Deputies were you??? All because Wendy's wouldn't open up and serve you some food after they told you they were closed??

They should have been arrested for the scene they caused and the cursing they did and the remark that they hoped that got their claims cause they would make sure they didn't get one red cent and were sent home immediately the next day by their home company, Nationwide, after a few calls from the Sheriff!

Mary
0 likes   

timNms
Category 5
Category 5

#48 Postby timNms » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:10 am

MSRobi911 wrote:"again I wish you all luck If you are covered under a policy I hope you get everything you paid for and not a penny more"

Wow, wayoutfront, you are such a nice person!!!!!!! NOT!!!!

You wouldn't be one of the four men that were kicked out of Jackson County because of their attitudes to some Deputies were you??? All because Wendy's wouldn't open up and serve you some food after they told you they were closed??

They should have been arrested for the scene they caused and the cursing they did and the remark that they hoped that got their claims cause they would make sure they didn't get one red cent and were sent home immediately the next day by their home company, Nationwide, after a few calls from the Sheriff!

Mary

Mary,

My question is how can the insurance company you use say that your neighbors houses were destroyed by wind before the surge, give them their checks, but say yours was destroyed by the surge, therefore you don't get anything????

Seriously, how can anyone determine whether surge or wind caused the damage? There's nothing left to look at. I've been down there and I have seen firsthand. The only thing I've seen were slabs.

I do recall visiting our friends' house in Waveland after Katrina. There was nothing left of it but the slab and about 10 pilings. (Their mom, who was a few blocks off the beach and at 22 feet above sea level had a slab and one toilet left at her house.) We found no siding, no window frames, no nothing that came off of their house. Everything was gone. There is no way anyone could determine whether surge or wind caused the damage. I think most assumed it was from the surge, but there is no way to prove that 100%.
0 likes   

HollynLA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#49 Postby HollynLA » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:47 am

I also have a special hurricane rider, so here's my question. A homeowners policy already covers your home against wind damage, so why do we need a special hurricane rider if that's all it's going to cover and not surge. I mean, why do we pay extra for the hurricane rider if it's not going to cover anything that our standard policy covers?
0 likes   

wayoutfront

#50 Postby wayoutfront » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:02 am

HollynLA wrote:I also have a special hurricane rider, so here's my question. A homeowners policy already covers your home against wind damage, so why do we need a special hurricane rider if that's all it's going to cover and not surge. I mean, why do we pay extra for the hurricane rider if it's not going to cover anything that our standard policy covers?

Many HO's policy in High risk areas do not have Wind/Hail coverage in the policy. You would have to get an additional policy from the windpool.
Same as in other High Risk Area
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#51 Postby Lindaloo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:11 am

tim,

MS law states that in the event of something like Mary's situation the flood and homeowners policy should top each other out. If I am correct (correct me if I am wrong Mary) her flood paid, but she had to pay the house off.

Mary,

I remember that incident. Made Nationwide look worse than they already did. Those adjusters came down here expecting us to bend over backwards when most of us were bathing in swimming pools and fire hydrants plus standing in line to get food, water and ice.

There was an Allstate adjuster out of Mobile that was stranded in Gulfport. He wanted us to come and tow his vehicle plus bring him back to Mobile RIGHT THEN!! He kept calling back telling me how hot it was and everything. I dispatched the truck about an hour later even though I could have sent one right then. :D
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#52 Postby Lindaloo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:13 am

wayoutfront wrote:
HollynLA wrote:I also have a special hurricane rider, so here's my question. A homeowners policy already covers your home against wind damage, so why do we need a special hurricane rider if that's all it's going to cover and not surge. I mean, why do we pay extra for the hurricane rider if it's not going to cover anything that our standard policy covers?

Many HO's policy in High risk areas do not have Wind/Hail coverage in the policy. You would have to get an additional policy from the windpool.
Same as in other High Risk Area

That is not the case though.
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#53 Postby Ixolib » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:08 am

wayoutfront wrote:"Coverage under this policy includes loss or damage caused by the peril of windstorm during a hurricane. It includes damage to a building's interior or property inside a building, caused directly by rain, snow, sleet, hail, sand or dust if direct force of the windstorm fist damages the building causing an opening through which the above enters and causes damage."

Which is precisely why I will NEVER again put a board on any of my windows. In Katrina, I boarded everything and had no broken windows. Consequently, NOTHING inside the home was covered by State Farm, even though everything was destroyed by water. However, "IF" I would have had broken windows, the end result would have been different and the adjuster would have taken a different approach to our claim. As it was, SF paid me $330 for materials I bought to board the windows. WOW!!
0 likes   

wayoutfront

#54 Postby wayoutfront » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:25 am

I understand

I will never say whether I agree or disagree with certain facets of the policy. But I approach em as I did when I was a deputy . Just the facts and Ties going to the insured.

Ixolib. You are correct I would feel the exact same way, but and I say this with as much sensitivity as I can on a forum. If you admit you had NO wind damage and it was all flood. why would you want your homeowners to pay for something they didn't cover? Isn't that the same as an Insurer NOT wanting to for damages they agreed to cover against .

Many states are going to a single adjuster claims process. This allows the adjuster who is licensed in the state and who is licensed to do flood to adjust the same property . This helps by not missing any of the damage and by the homeowner not getting paid twice for the same thing.

So an adjuster inspects ALL the covered damages then seperates it to coverage as opposd to trying to write just the wind only and another adjuster writing the flood.

Unfortunatley There are just not enough qualified to do the single adjuster program as Property and flood are 2 entirely different programs and takes years of training and experience to be able to do it effectively.
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#55 Postby Lindaloo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:02 am

Actually you missed the point of Ixolib's post. Nowhere did he say he expected them to pay wind damage knowing it was flood. What he is saying is, if he had not boarded up the windows then it would have been classified as wind damage. Since he did board up they claim it was actually flood damage. So, they paid out for the boards.
0 likes   

wayoutfront

#56 Postby wayoutfront » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:26 am

It would not have been classified as wind unless the WIND created openings.

Being he said they only reimbursed him for boarding up, which is unusaul because there is no policy provision for that, I took it that he sustained no other wind damage.

I think he was saying he could take the position that his uncovered damages would be covered by claiming Rain damaged his interior though a wind caused opening. I have seen it , but there is much wind damage to the home and surrounding areas.

and opening caused by Flood is still flood.

If he sustained no other wind damage as windows are pretty tough a reasonable person would conclude that windows were either damaged by flood or intentionally damaged ( possibly by flying debris) .

I would certainly try to find a way to get most of his damages tied to the opening as like I said in a post above . The more covered damages I find the more dinero I make.

But no adjuster is going to risk a license on a frivolous effort
0 likes   

stormcrow
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#57 Postby stormcrow » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:43 am

The one thing that the MS court appear to be doing is really pushing the companies to prove their positions on flood (including surge) vs wind. It is rare to see all of a house disappear due to wind (in Homestead in 92 every loss I looked at still had some walls left, I didn't look at any trailers some of which disappeared). It is important that the engineers used are more interested in facts then politics (that goes for both sides). There should be available records of when the waters rose and the know or estimated wind speeds at that time so that a fair settlement can be reached. Most companies and their adjusters will give the Insured the benefit of the doubt.
Unfortunately there were so many losses in the last 2 years the number of people handling losses far exceeded the number of adjusters. I have seen and heard many horror stories. Overall the Insurers did a far better job then FEMA and the majority of claims will be settled fairly. But for an adjuster it take time to learn, I had many people over the last 2 years who wanted the policies to pay for their damages, their deductible and a few renovations (or a lot). A good adjuster can control this and stay fair, someone without experience tends to overpay (many received far more then the needed for repairs) or underpay (which can really hurt the homeowner). I would love to see a state sponsered mediation system, what is happening will only make the lawyers richer.
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#58 Postby Lindaloo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:47 am

wayoutfront, the actual adjuster told him that and is why he paid for the boards he used to protect the house.

I actually received a letter advising me not to board up my windows or anything. That it would be a waste of time. :roll:
0 likes   

wayoutfront

#59 Postby wayoutfront » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:58 am

I actually received a letter advising me not to board up my windows or anything. That it would be a waste of time. Rolling Eyes

From your insurance company?

wow I would love to see that letter

No carrier I have worked has never took a position on boarding up windows as There is no policy or language that says an insured should or should not protect his property from an upcoming Peril.

Now they do have clearly in the policy that Insureds must protect (mitigate) against further damage after a storm Like tarping roof and boarding up broken windows and the insured will be reimbursed for all reasonable expenses to do so.

I also agree about the state sponsored mediation programs such as FL has

For all that is wrong with Florida and Insurance that is one place they deserve a big high five. I think MS has one in place as well modeled after the Florida plan.

If stormcrow has been doing since 92 You all can beat up on him for awhile :D
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#60 Postby Lindaloo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:24 pm

Yes, from my previous insurance company. I sent the letter (copy) of it to our Insurance Commissioner.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”