Frank P house pix

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

becca1695
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#241 Postby becca1695 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:56 pm

I've been following your rebuilding with awe at the wonderful you have done to rebuild. Now I'm wondering how you're doing -- have heard Biloxi is getting water up over 90 -- I think that's where I read you are? Hope you're well!
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

Re: Frank P house pix

#242 Postby Dionne » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:18 pm

Was thinking about you today frank....hope all is well.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#243 Postby CajunMama » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:00 pm

Thinking about you today too Frank. Seems everyone east of lafayette fared worse than we did.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#244 Postby DanKellFla » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:25 am

CajunMama wrote:Thinking about you today too Frank. Seems everyone east of lafayette fared worse than we did.

I was thinking about both of you.

Frank, how did it go? Did you get any water on the bottom level?
0 likes   

cag1953
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#245 Postby cag1953 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:43 am

Hey Frank. Did you guys fare O.K.? I was looking at the Gulf Coast News Network this morning and it looked like there was pretty good coastal flooding. We even had some over here yesterday,but not as bad as over there. I hope this doesn't set you too far back in recovery.I know it will probably slow it down a little. We had that problem when Dennis hit 9 months after Ivan. But you guys are tough,you can do it! Take care.

Colleen
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#246 Postby Frank P » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:26 pm

Hi all, appreciate the kind words and concern.. the house did great.. you could hardly hear the wind inside thanks to the closed cell foam... Surge was impressive, I estimate around 10-11 feet.. the water did cover the south bound lane of HWY 90.. first time I've seen that happen in person... third highest surge in Biloxi in my lifetime.. Katrina 26, Camille 21, Gustav 11, Isadore 9 and Elena 8 feet... I did have one porch ceiling fan lose all its blades but that's the only damage.. Never lost power, which was nice... My parking pad and doggie condo under the house is 18 feet above sea level so the surge was never close to even coming in my yard (side walk near hwy 90 is at 15 feet).... the house got rocked with at least some 70-75 mph wind gusts and it didn't even phase it.. which impressed me since I am on pilings 10 feet above the ground.. the dogs rode out the storm in their condo downstairs and did well also... I posted some surge pixs in the Active Storm Forum in the Gustav section and also posted them on our family web page. If you want to see the surge pixs here is the link..

http://www.easysite.com/fortheloveoffamily

Go to the pictures link, click on Gustav Storm surge in Biloxi

FYI, I did have a well layed out escape plan just in case Gustav were to chance course and head towards Biloxi.... so I was never really in harms way... from what's I've experienced from Gustav I would feel relatively safe staying in the house with winds up to about 100 mph.. anything more than that I will probably leave... I did make the wife evacuate to my brothers house near I-10... watching the surge come up that much and flood the south bound lane of 90 was quite amazing to say the least...

Seems like everyone did fare out pretty well, that's great...

Stay safe all, I sure hope nobody gets a direct hit from any more storms but that might just be wishful thinking..... good luck to all for the remainder of the season..
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#247 Postby DanKellFla » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:43 pm

Good the hear from you. You may be surprised at how well the house held up in those winds, but I am not. You built a sturdy place.
I had some damage to a ceiling fan from a previous storm. After that, I started to take all the blades off every time a storm would threaten.

Did the dogs not want to come inside?
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#248 Postby Frank P » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:17 pm

DanKellFla wrote:Good the hear from you. You may be surprised at how well the house held up in those winds, but I am not. You built a sturdy place.
I had some damage to a ceiling fan from a previous storm. After that, I started to take all the blades off every time a storm would threaten.

Did the dogs not want to come inside?

Dan good advice about the ceiling fans.. I wanted to take them down but just forgot.. will not forget next time.. one of my dogs is just to old and can't climb the stairs.. so I just keep them downstairs in their air conditioned condo with ceiling fan.. it also has the dense foam in the walls, very quiet and is a very well built room.. probably safer there than in the house... they seemed to like it, heck, I would probably like it too.. gives a whole new meaning to the term "in the dog house"

be safe
0 likes   

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#249 Postby bvigal » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:53 pm

Frank, I must admit, I was thinking about you, too on Monday, especially when they showed pics on tv of surge in Waveland. Glad to hear everything was relatively painless and power on - wow! Thanks for the pics of surge. I love what you built for your dogs, how wonderful for them!!
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#250 Postby Frank P » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:19 pm

thanks bvigal, they love their air conditioned condo.. they have a fenced in area in the back with a sun deck... :lol: I have a hard time getting them out when its hot..

I posted a video on youtube as the surge was coming in on the beach in Biloxi.. filmed off my front porch... winds had to be blowing 50+ mph and I was having a hard time standing up.. as you can see as the camera is all over the place.. it was about 8 feet asl at this point.. eventually it completely covered the sea wall and south bound lane of HWY 90.. so it rose another 2-3 feet... the south bound lane is just above the green grass in the video (neutral ground) on the highway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruEG5idNSrE
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#251 Postby Frank P » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:42 pm

2017 update, House is going on 10 years old... and holding up great... I have had no damage from any of the tropic systems over the past 10 years, but none have been very impressive in the Biloxi area... still ready for that next big one though

2 likes   

Christiana
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#252 Postby Christiana » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:19 pm

What a beautiful home! Around my house we call Katrina that gift that keeps on giving. When my house in the Pass was rebuilt after the great flood of 05, as a completely overwhelmed female it seems I attracted my fair share of fly by night contractors. I discovered to my horror this year that the 60 feet of deck around my home was not built with galvanized hardware. :grr: Of course its a hot mess. I'm proudly rebuilding it however, bought myself the tools and have so far driven in over 1500 deck screws with my impact driver. I will next redo the rail then stain and paint the whole mess. Also replaced some rotten wood myself and have gone through several tubs of wood bondo. My son came and stayed with me awhile and he and his friends re-braced all the treated 2 by 8 treated beams underneath with lag bolts. Now, if some storm comes along and rips this deck from my house....well.... :grr: :grr: :grr: Better not! Again, what a beautiful home you have, congratulations! :D As for flood issues here: had 4 feet under my house from Gustav, 2 feet when Ike went by on his way to TX, 4 feet from Isaac. Yeah, I live in the V zone. :roll: Fingers crossed for another crisis free season here on our beautiful coast!

*edited for spelling. :lol:
1 likes   
In the eye :double: : Betsy, Camille, Elena, Georges, Katrina, Isaac

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”