Frank P house pix

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#181 Postby gtalum » Tue May 22, 2007 8:15 am

I have to say, I'm impressed. You have a beautiful new house already! I can't imagine how nice it will look once it's all trimmed out! :)
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#182 Postby Frank P » Tue May 22, 2007 8:16 am

Thanks Dionne

FYI, I had to totally rebuild those front stairs because a contractor screwed them up when he built them.......
and I wish you would have built them too!! :lol:
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#183 Postby Frank P » Tue May 22, 2007 8:22 am

gtalum wrote:I have to say, I'm impressed. You have a beautiful new house already! I can't imagine how nice it will look once it's all trimmed out! :)

Thanks gtalum... its become a labor of love/hate...
0 likes   

cag1953
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#184 Postby cag1953 » Tue May 22, 2007 3:10 pm

Hey Frank. It looks really nice. We were over there last month and drove by,but there were no cars around or any signs of life (heck,I didn't even see the dogs out front),so hubby wouldn't stop! I promise one of these days I'm going to stop and introduce myself.The first thing I noticed was that you had stairs out front now. I didn't realize how far up you were until the stairs were up! No wonder you talked about an elevator! The inside looks great too. That's cool about the weather channel.(Am I showing my age by using "cool"? HaHa). Even if they don't come back,it was nice that they came and talked to you. Yep, I think its time you took a well deserved break. You have worked hard and it really looks nice. Take care you guys and enjoy your new home.
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#185 Postby Frank P » Tue May 22, 2007 3:13 pm

thanks cag, and stop by anytime...
0 likes   

ccsuzy
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#186 Postby ccsuzy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:56 am

Frank I just want to say that I am thrilled for you finally getting into your home. I don't post much but I read here a LOT and think of all of you down there often. Blessings for your new lovely home.
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#187 Postby Frank P » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:17 pm

many thanks suzy
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#188 Postby MSRobi911 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:46 am

I noticed before but didn't post, I have to say I am guilty of not having been down to Hwy. 90 in Biloxi/Gulfport since the storm, too depressing. Anyway I am glad that you retained some of the "Old Colonial" style with the pillars et al. Unfortunately here in Pascagoula on Beach Blvd. a couple of people have built what look like plain on "camps" that you would see on the river.....makes me ill to think of the old old homes that were there with their beautiful architecture. Oh well....times they are a changing....had to I reckon?

Mary
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#189 Postby beachbum_al » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:46 pm

House looks very nice. Glad to hear that you and your wife are back in the house.
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Frank P house pix

#190 Postby Frank P » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:37 pm

couple of recent pixs of the house.

from highway 90, FEMA trailer GONE

from the front yard

great room

dog condo under house south entrance doggie door

front porch with Jim Cantore back in June

still have lots of little things to do, porch painting, trim out the pilings etc..going to plant some palm trees and have not done any yard work but that will go on for the next year of so...... bottom line is that we are really enjoying it and makes all the grief building it worth the effort..
0 likes   

dizzyfish
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#191 Postby dizzyfish » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:24 pm

Wow Frank the house looks great! You really have done a wonderful job. Kudos to you!

Gotta love the doggie condo. Winnie will be jealous if I show her this! :lol:

Oh yeah, the Cantore shot is a nice touch too. :wink:
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#192 Postby Frank P » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:39 pm

dizzyfish wrote:Wow Frank the house looks great! You really have done a wonderful job. Kudos to you!

Gotta love the doggie condo. Winnie will be jealous if I show her this! :lol:

Oh yeah, the Cantore shot is a nice touch too. :wink:

thanks dizzy, just showing off... hehe

I kinda like the doggie condo myself, gotta finish the trim and stucco it but its functional... the doggie condo's got a little beach bistro a going on on the south side facing the GOM with the table, chairs and my former blue storm shutters as decking ... gonna get me an old lazy boy chair, a LCD TV and me and the hound dawgs are just gonna chill and watch some football... my wife really likes the idea... if ya got to be in a dog house... be in a nice one... :lol:
0 likes   

cag1953
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#193 Postby cag1953 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:24 pm

Hey,we had Cantore and Bettis a couple days ago. I joked about the storm not coming here because they were here- then I remembered Jim broke that streak a while back.haha! Shoot,Cantore was broadcasting live from Gulf Breeze Hospital when Dennis was coming ashore.How could I forget that!? Anyways your house looks great.It makes a big difference with real furniture it,doesn't it? The doggie condo is great(they're not spoiled are they). Just kidding,we have a 95 pound spoiled baby. Well I hope you guys are enjoying your new place.I still plan to stop by some time and say HI! I just don"t know when we'll be over. Take care and enjoy.
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#194 Postby O Town » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:30 pm

Bye bye FEMA trailer!!!!!!!! Yippy!
Inside is looking sweet. The shot from the highway your house looks gorgeous centered up in between those oaks. Pat yourself on the back. :D
Gotta say the last shot with Cantore is my fav. :wink: :P
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#195 Postby CajunMama » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:02 am

There's no place like home sweet home. You've got such a nice home, Frank.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#196 Postby Dionne » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:30 am

So Frank.....now that your closing in on completion......I have several questions.

Are there any building materials that disappointed you?

Were you satisfied with all your sub-contractors?

Is your foundation doing any settling?

What was your final cost per square foot? (Excluding the value of the land)
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#197 Postby Frank P » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:56 am

Dionne wrote:So Frank.....now that your closing in on completion......I have several questions.

Are there any building materials that disappointed you?
None that I can think of... to date I have had no problems.. really love the closed cell foam... stucco and metal roof I like... everything else on the outside is treated or hardyboard... aluminum railing system it nice to.. no maintenance.... also really love the armor glass which is throughout the house and the roll down storm shutters..

Were you satisfied with all your sub-contractors?
I had some pretty good ones,,, Sheet rock, electrical, plumbing, roofing, stucco, foaming.... all first class... framing crew were OK but I went back and beefed it all up in the truss system, and also had to rework some porch slope issues... The guy who framed my stairs was pretty bad.. I had to personally redo both the front and the back framing on the stairs.. and I finished them. I would not use the Concrete finishers again either as they were to expensive... but at the time it was so hard to even get them to come.. got pretty good reviews from all the city inspectors who looked hard at everything...

Is your foundation doing any settling?
Nothing yet so far and its been over a year... got to realize I poured 1.5 yards of concrete per piling, then tied it all 28 together with 50 more yards oc concrete and steel.... not even a surface crack yet.. knock on wood...

What was your final cost per square foot? (Excluding the value of the land)

If you figure based on heating and cooling areas of 1800 sq feet its about 125.00 per sq
If you figure total living areas including front and rear porches... which were a whole lot more expensive than any bedroom per se...[b] 90.00
per sq

This is a pretty custom house I might add... I went well above the International building codes building this house...
The porches are one of the best features of the house... not to mention the 2400 sq feet under the house we call the pavillion... [/b]

atm I would say I'm pretty pleased with the effort and even more so that all the really hard work is done... now I can take my time and work on the pavillion, and just enjoy the wonderful view...

later dude
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#198 Postby DanKellFla » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:32 am

"Franks guide to building your Post-Katrina Home"
by Frank P

I bet you can make money on a book like that just selling to municipalities. I wish I had your confidence. I never have the nerve to re-do something a "professional" has done even when my suspicions of a lousy job turn out to be correct.
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#199 Postby Frank P » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:58 am

thanks DanKellFla

Hopefully this is the last time I ever have to do it ..... :D
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#200 Postby Frank P » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:36 pm

Thought I'd post a couple of pixs of my dogs living the good life on the beach, they really like their air conditioned condo on the ground floor... life is good for all :D

Female 12.5 years old

Male 14 years young

0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”