Frank P house pix

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#41 Postby Ixolib » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:42 pm

Home town boy now a TV star!! Lookin' good Frank... :D :D :D

What May Be First New Beach Home Going Up

Aug 18, 2006 05:17 PM EDT
WLOX TV

A drive along Highway 90 in Biloxi doesn't reveal any new home construction, until you get to -------------. That's where Frank Pelligrino is building what he thinks may be the first home from the ground up.

"I think I'm, if I'm not the only one, there might be one or two others but I haven't seen anyone building on the beach. I've seen right off the beach but not on the beach," he says.

The house that was on the site before Katrina was a cottage that Pelligrino added to over the years. To withstand future storms, he says he knew he had to build stronger and higher. The finished house will be 28 feet above sea level, ten feet more than his old home.

"I'm going to stucco the house in concrete. I'm spraying dense foam in the walls. I'm doing everything I can, strapping every stud, every rafter, everything. I'm doing everything I can to make it as wind resistant as I can and if I lose this one it's not because I didn't try."

At first Pelligrino was discouraged in his determination to rebuild because he couldn't find a contractor. So he and the wife started looking at a house to buy but the front porch view of the Mississippi Sound was too strong to resist.

"We looked at maybe 30 or 40 houses and every time we walked out the front door and we didn't see this, we saw other people, other houses, other neighborhoods, we said, 'No, we can't do this.' I've been living up here for 31 years and hurricanes is just the way it is. I can't see living anywhere else."

The Pelligrino's home will be 2,400 square feet. The construction started about six weeks ago and Pelligrino says finished or not, he will be in the house on December 24 to celebrate Christmas.

by Marcia Hill

LINK TO VIDEO: http://www.wlox.com/Global/story.asp?S=5299632
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#42 Postby Frank P » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:49 pm

Well George I guess I've blown my anonymity in the Federal Witness Protection Program now.... and being ex Mafia, that is not good thing... hehe

when you coming back home neighbor?

:eek:
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby Ixolib » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:02 pm

Frank P wrote:Well George I guess I've blown my anonymity in the Federal Witness Protection Program now.... and being ex Mafia, that is not good thing... hehe

when you coming back home neighbor?

:eek:

Well, at least I did make the attempt to hide your address - at least here on the board!! But you're right. You are definitely "out there" now for all the world to see. You done us proud...

We're still gonna give this FL thing the chance we said we would. At least a year, more likely two. Just moved into a 2,400 sq ft house and we signed a one-year lease. We really like it here but we're NOT selling the house in Biloxi. Home is home, and both me and the wife believe this is in all probability a "temporary" adjustment. Biloxi always beckons.... And the cost of living here is absolutely ridiculous in just about every regard, the most absolute being the housing market. $149K will get you - at best - a crude fixer-upper. Anything less might not have indoor plumbing ( :lol: ), or it will be in the worst neighborhood one could ever imagine. I think the cost of housing here was/is the most extreme culture shock we've experienced.

We should, however, be up that way in a month or so for a visit. We miss our nickle keno!! I'll see if I can stop by and have a first-hand look.
0 likes   

simplykristi
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#44 Postby simplykristi » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:29 am

Hi Frank.
I just watched the news video of your story on WLOX on the web. I applaud you for staying and rebuilding. I can't weait to see more pictures as construction progresses. I hope that you are in your new home by Dec. 24th.

Kristi
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#45 Postby Frank P » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:39 pm

simplykristi wrote:Hi Frank.
I just watched the news video of your story on WLOX on the web. I applaud you for staying and rebuilding. I can't weait to see more pictures as construction progresses. I hope that you are in your new home by Dec. 24th.

Kristi

thanks kristi... here is a pix I took today... we hope to have the roof decking and windows installed by weeks end... and framing completed..

0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#46 Postby Frank P » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:41 pm

Frank P wrote:
simplykristi wrote:Hi Frank.

Kristi

thanks kristi... here is a pix I took today... we hope to have the roof decking and windows installed by weeks end... and framing completed..

opps I replyed to myself... anyways shows another view of my front porch... rear porch basically the same... if you enlarge the second pix and look closely at the header you'll see a plethora of different hurricane straps tieing the front of the house together... and I still have some more to add to the back of the header...
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#47 Postby TSmith274 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:58 pm

Wow yall are doing it right. Looks like it's gonna be one stout structure. Congrats on everything... looking great.
0 likes   

simplykristi
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#48 Postby simplykristi » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:41 am

Looking good, Frank! I can't wait to see more pics.

Kristi
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#49 Postby Lindaloo » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:45 pm

Hey Frank!! I know that was your home I saw on WLOX this evening when they were covering Bush visiting. Awesome!!
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#50 Postby Frank P » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:11 am

here is the latest... blacked in minus doors... which we'll put in next weekend...

0 likes   

simplykristi
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#51 Postby simplykristi » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:16 am

WOW I bet you and your family are going to love the front and back porches. Construction looks like it is coming along nicely.

Kristi
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#52 Postby Frank P » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:20 am

thanks... my last house didn't have any porches... which living on the beach is a big mistake.. that was my #1 priority with this house... big front porch and big great room and I'm going to screen in the front downstairs as a screened in first level porch....... just for the view...
0 likes   

simplykristi
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#53 Postby simplykristi » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:01 am

I saw the pictures of your old house. You will enjoy the porches, especially the screened-in one. We have a nice deck on the back of our house. Part of the deck is covered with a ceiling fan. It's real nice. Unfortunately, we don't have an oceanfront view... just a view of our neighborhood.

Kristi
0 likes   

Javlin
Category 5
Category 5

#54 Postby Javlin » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:59 pm

TSmith274 wrote:Wow yall are doing it right. Looks like it's gonna be one stout structure. Congrats on everything... looking great.

IT's Stout alright.The header for the porches is unbelievable and the cables for the columns hmmm.Frankie's brain working way to much.
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#55 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:39 pm

Fantastic looking edifice, Frank--kudos. Man, I envy you! In keeping with the spirit and architecture of this grand locale, you've truly prepared for what the area might offer, and to take advantage of everything it decidedly has to offer. A tip of the hat, and shot of Crown for perseverance!

:37:

A2K
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#56 Postby Frank P » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:55 pm

thanks much Kristi, Jav and A2K

when I'm complete I'll have an open house just for any Storm2kers that might want to come by and get a cold one of some type... and sit on that big porch and see a magnificant view of the GOM....

still have a long way to go .... taking it day by day...

A2k... right back at ya and now I'm gonna celebrate this weeks effort tonight with just a small shot of Crown for me and a glass of wine for the better half....

evening all
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#57 Postby Lindaloo » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:05 am

I just saw that video. All I can say is that is fantastic! I also want to say that I hope you and your wife can celebrate Christmas Eve in your new home!
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#58 Postby Frank P » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:05 pm

Lindaloo wrote:I just saw that video. All I can say is that is fantastic! I also want to say that I hope you and your wife can celebrate Christmas Eve in your new home!

thanks much Linda, it will be a stretch but I hope we can make it by then too... if not, early 2007......... :D .
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby DanKellFla » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:14 pm

What a view!! It really is priceless,and on stilts even more so. How are the two trees in the front doing, do you think they will survive? Do you ever fish off the beach? If so, is it good? If I could only afford a vacation home there....

I was reading an earlier post about concrete vs. wood. I am a Mechanical Engineer with some background in structural analysis, mostly gas turbines, but some other stuff as well, and from my experience, concrete is superior. But, that comes with a caveat. The concrete pylons have to installed correctly. I have friends in the Florida Keys with house like yours, but using concrete. The only without problems acted as his own general contractor. If memory serves me correctly, the pylons have to go as deep into the ground as they go high. So, if you see a 12 foot pylon, there is another 12 feet underground. Also, the cement has to be the right mix and poured right, otherwise you will end up with spalding. (FYI, Spalding is when the re-bar starts to rust and consequently expand inside the concrete. It is really bad.) I don't recall ever seeing wood used in the Keys to support a house. But I haven't been everywhere. Anyways, using concrete in this manner is very expensive. And, if done poorly will look fine for 20 years and be useless in a storm. IMHO, you did the best thing possible under the circumstances. And, you used the availiable evidence of the other wood pylons surviving as well to make your decision. Ther might be something about the soil in your area that actually makes wood a better choice. Eventually, some grad student will use this topic for a thesis and we will know a little more.
0 likes   

NFLDART
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#60 Postby NFLDART » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:27 pm

Frank, That looks really great. I'll have ta get you and your other mafia buddies ta come build me one...ha ha.. Anyways, absolutley oustanding sir...
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”