Frank P house pix

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#61 Postby O Town » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:15 pm

Wow, the progress is moving rather quickly. I have no doubt you will done by Christmas. Keep the pictures coming. :D
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#62 Postby Frank P » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:29 pm

""What a view!! It really is priceless,and on stilts even more so. How are the two trees in the front doing, do you think they will survive? Do you ever fish off the beach? If so, is it good? If I could only afford a vacation home there.... """

Dankell the Oaks are doing just great... and the magnolia and pecan tree as well... fishing is good... you can catch specs in the morning or flounder and soft shell crabs at night

I did some research on wood vs concrete vs block... concrete is probably the best but is extremely expensive, and like you said has its own set of problems........ and I couldn't get anyone to even give me a bid... most of the wood pilings did great from Katrina, in fact I saw more wood piling standing than concrete... the problem with the concrete on the coast is that they come right out of the slab with the pilings and rebar... and that just doesn't work.. you are right for every foot you go up you also need to go down... that's what I did with my wood... ten feet up and ten feet down... I also have over 97 yards of concrete holding down these wooden pilings... so they aren't going anywhere any time soon... in addition, my lot is 18 feet above sea level so I'm not in a "velocity" zone... so wood will work just fine for my application... they should last a lot longer than me... I like the fact that I can dress up the wooden pilings with either brick or trim em out with hardy board and make them look really neat... concrete is just to hard, no pun intended, to work with...
Last edited by Frank P on Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#63 Postby Frank P » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:32 pm

NFLDART wrote:Frank, That looks really great. I'll have ta get you and your other mafia buddies ta come build me one...ha ha.. Anyways, absolutley oustanding sir...

hehe, yeah dart I hear ya buddy.... its always good to have that Godfather connection....

WWL New Orleans TV came by my site and did an interview with me today.. they said it was going to be on their 6:00 pm newscast... must be another slow news day.. :lol:
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#64 Postby DanKellFla » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:37 pm

Frank, did you have any soil analysis done? Are the pylons resting in dirt? Old coral> bedrock??? Have any technical organisations tried to write about your home and construction method? I think your home would make a great case study. Hopefully, it won't have to stand up to anything soon.
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#65 Postby TSmith274 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:05 pm

Frank, your WWL story is on their website at wwltv.com. It's on the right hand side. For some reason, my computer won't play it, but it's there.
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#66 Postby Frank P » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:11 pm

DanKellFla wrote:Frank, did you have any soil analysis done? Are the pylons resting in dirt? Old coral> bedrock??? Have any technical organisations tried to write about your home and construction method? I think your home would make a great case study. Hopefully, it won't have to stand up to anything soon.

we did a soil bore test... it's primarily layers of very compacted sand, overall very compatible with the type of foundation construction that we did... ... we didn't reach the water table until we dug down 11.5 feet .... which was our targeted goal... we have about 1.5 feet of pea gravel at the base of the piling for drainage, then we added about 1.5 yards of concrete for each piling, with rebar in the piling, then we dug a 2ft by 2ft trench connecting every piling both north and south and east and west, and drilled the pilings for more rebar interconnecting all the pilings at the surface for our final concrete pour which makes up my grade slab...... probably overkill but I'm not taking NO chances... the foundation is everything... about 75% of the new homes that are going up for flood mitigation are using wooded pilings in Harrison county, from what I've observer recently... sadly some are rebuilding on their old concrete slabs... something that I wouldn't recommend to anyone...

I did have a Corp of Engineer from the Virginia area take a bunch of pictures of my construction about a month ago... he said we were doing it right and was going to use my house as example of how to build for flood mitigation... he said he wanted to bring his supervisor back to see the construction but I don't know if he every came back... I do know he took a plethora of pixs...

I hope it doesn't have to stand up to anything for a long time... :eek:
Last edited by Frank P on Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#67 Postby Frank P » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:12 pm

TSmith274 wrote:Frank, your WWL story is on their website at wwltv.com. It's on the right hand side. For some reason, my computer won't play it, but it's there.

thanks TS... I'll check it out...

Doesn't work for me either TS, they probably don't have it linked yet or incorrectly as the other newcasts worked fine for me...

I saw it once, and that was enough for me... I was sweating like a fat pig running a marathon... :oops:
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#68 Postby TSmith274 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:35 pm

Hah yeah I ended up watching it on the replay. Looks like they interrupted you working on your house.
0 likes   

simplykristi
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#69 Postby simplykristi » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:38 am

Hi Frank,
How's the house coming along? Any new pics to share?

Kristi
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#70 Postby Frank P » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:47 pm

simplykristi wrote:Hi Frank,
How's the house coming along? Any new pics to share?

Kristi

Not much progress to show Kristi, we got the front door in but I've been working inside putting up extra roof truss bracing and hurricane straps... here's a pix with the door installed.... also got the back stairs framed... no handrails yet however...

we picked out a color scheme today.... grey metal roof, with light blue stucco, white trim around the windows and columns with dark blue shutters.... ordering metal roof on Monday, hope to get installed within the next two weeks, plumber coming on Tuesday, and hope to get the stucco guy by the end of the month...

building inspector came by on Thursday and was really impressed with all the extras we're doing with the house..

0 likes   

simplykristi
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#71 Postby simplykristi » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:34 pm

Looking good!

I love the color theme that you have picked out for the exterior.

Glad that that inspector is impressed.

I can't wait to see the house with the roof and the stucco. That will look awesome!

Kristi
0 likes   

simplykristi
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#72 Postby simplykristi » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:58 pm

Hi Frank,
How's the house coming along?

Kristi
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#73 Postby Frank P » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:27 am

How's the house coming along?

Kristi

Hi Kristi.... I'll try to post some updated pixs later this week... It should show the outside about 80% complete, all that will be left is the facia and soffets, the porch flooring and ceilings, all the porch railings and front entrance stairs...
Plumbing is well underway..
Metal roof should be completed today
Stucco should be completed this week...
I'm still adding hurricane straps and extra rafter bracing inside the roof...

moving right along for sure....

thanks for asking....
0 likes   

cag1953
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#74 Postby cag1953 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:46 pm

Hey Frank! We made our trip over there this past week.Found your house with no problem,I spotted it right away. It really looks nice,even the trees seem to be coming back nicely.I decided not to give you the heads up that we were coming because it was during the week and I figured you guys would be working,plus I know you have a lot going on right now and you don't need a complete stranger coming by to take a tour of your house! It does seem like you are the only new residental construction going on,even now.There still isn't much rebuilding going on along the coast,mainly repairs for those that were lucky enough to have something to come home to,and it wasn't many.I'm sure we will be back over soon,as I said,Biloxi is our home away from home! Don't be surprised if you hear a knock and someone says"Hi,I'm part of the storm2k family!" Take care and keep us updated.
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#75 Postby Frank P » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:54 pm

cag1953 wrote:Hey Frank! We made our trip over there this past week.Found your house with no problem,I spotted it right away. It really looks nice,even the trees seem to be coming back nicely.I decided not to give you the heads up that we were coming because it was during the week and I figured you guys would be working,plus I know you have a lot going on right now and you don't need a complete stranger coming by to take a tour of your house! It does seem like you are the only new residental construction going on,even now.There still isn't much rebuilding going on along the coast,mainly repairs for those that were lucky enough to have something to come home to,and it wasn't many.I'm sure we will be back over soon,as I said,Biloxi is our home away from home! Don't be surprised if you hear a knock and someone says"Hi,I'm part of the storm2k family!" Take care and keep us updated.

Hey Cag you can stop by any time... all my Storm2k friends have a standing open invite to drop in at any time... I might even get you to help me nail up some more hurricane straps. :D .. all my trees are doing great but one of my neighbors Oaks just up and died during the past couple of weeks... it was very sudden too... caught us all by surprise I must say.. ... and I hope its the last one in the neighborhood....
0 likes   

simplykristi
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#76 Postby simplykristi » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:06 pm

Hi Frank,
Thanks for the update! I am looking forward to some pix!

Kristi
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#77 Postby Frank P » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:09 pm

Kristi

hope to post some updated pixs this Friday Kristi... :D

Crusiing the coast is this coming week... I want to clean off my front porch a little, put up a couple of lawn chairs, sit back and drink a couple of cold Ultras (or perhaps open up a bottle of crown) and enjoy the classic cars riding up and down the beach this Saturday on hwy 90... perhaps my first "big" event using my house... 8-)
0 likes   

simplykristi
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#78 Postby simplykristi » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:01 pm

That sounds great, Frank! I would enjoy a nice drink like a margarita. :)

Kristi
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#79 Postby Lindaloo » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:38 pm

Frank P wrote:

Kristi

Crusiing the coast is this coming week... I want to clean off my front porch a little, put up a couple of lawn chairs, sit back and drink a couple of cold Ultras (or perhaps open up a bottle of crown) and enjoy the classic cars riding up and down the beach this Saturday on hwy 90... perhaps my first "big" event using my house... 8-)

I will honk my horn at you Frank!
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#80 Postby Frank P » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:01 am

Lindaloo wrote:
Frank P wrote:

Kristi

I will honk my horn at you Frank!

You do that Linda and I'll raise a toast to you as you pass by... :D
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”