Frank P house pix

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#121 Postby Frank P » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:48 pm

gtalum wrote:You're making fantastic progress, Frank. I'm impressed. :)

Thanks cag and gtalum... support from the board has been wonderful... putting in 12-16 hours days doesn't hurt either... I've been off work for the past week and probably won't return till either Jan 2 or 9 depending on what I have left to complete...

I just took a wonderful jacuzzi bath followed by a long HOT shower... I bet I was in the bathroom for an hour... the six foot shower and jacuzzi is about half the size of the FEMA trailer... it was sooooooo nice to be in my house taking that first shower...

Wife is washing clothes in the house tonight as well... finished all the crown molding in the entire house.. two piece mold set.... looks really nice, will post some pixs when its painted... my nephew came and finished up most of it the past two days as I was busy hooking up the showers and plumbing for the washer and dryer... should be installing at least one toilet on Sunday or Christmas day... now that would be a nice present... a full size commode to have available after that big Christmas day meal.. hehe

all that's left on the inside that I have to do is finish up the painting, hang the doors, install railing on the porches, and put the base board up... I still have contractors on schedule to install granite, hang the plethora of light fixture we have, install the oak flooring and ceramic tile my front porch... but tonight was a major milestone...
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#122 Postby CajunMama » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:48 am

You're almost really done! It won't be long now till you'll be in your home for good. Enjoy your Christmas...heck take the day off :wink: Just think...a new year beginning and you'll be in your new home. Life will be grand!
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#123 Postby Frank P » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:30 am

CajunMama wrote:You're almost really done! It won't be long now till you'll be in your home for good. Enjoy your Christmas...heck take the day off :wink: Just think...a new year beginning and you'll be in your new home. Life will be grand!

Amen CajunMama and thanks..... I think I just might take your advise and take Christmas off to be with the family and just relax for a day.... this tired old body is pretty worn out.... the older I get the better I was certainly applies for this dude....
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#124 Postby CajunMama » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:03 pm

Merry Christmas FrankP! We'll be awaiting for pics of your first Christmas in your home!
0 likes   

timNms
Category 5
Category 5

#125 Postby timNms » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:34 pm

Congrats on the progress, Frank. Hope you don't overload the new toilet after that big Christmas dinner. Wouldn't be a good way to break in the new house LOL

Merry Christmas to you guys!
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#126 Postby MSRobi911 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:16 am

Frank

I am so excited for you and your family. I certainly know what you mean about the shower and the toilet!!!!!!!!!!!! Those things in the FEMA trailers aren't worth the work that was put in to put them in...sounds weird, anyway when we bought the house in Moss Point and got moved in to actually stay in a shower with running water without having to turn it off and on felt so wonderful and to sit on an actual POT and not knock your knees on the tiny tub or having to leave the door open, etc.

I miss my beach front view so bad, but there is nothing we can do about it right now. Still waiting to see what Nationwide is going to do with the wind coverage on the policies (even though according to them we had no wind damage, duh). One guy that lives down by the Longfellow House told Robi last week that his entire insurance bill for one year would be over $14,000.00. That would be windpool, flood and fire, theft and what ever else you have regular house insurance for. Of course his house is probably worth 400,000 more than what mine would have been worth, his is three stories and around 6-7,000 square feet. My 2,000 square foot house would have fit on his 1st floor..hehehehehe. So now we look out the front of the house and see the Pascagoula River, well actually it is the Escatawpa which runs off the main Pascagoula River that we see up here.

Did you see WLOX tonight about the modular home the Megeehee's are putting on Beach Blvd.? Someone told me they saw it coming in and it was in three sections, two for the 1st floor and then a second floor section all by itself.

Oh, the other thing I have been meaning to tell you is that I have seen more wood pilings left than any other kind. One of my neighbors across the street had steel pilings and the house was supposedly "hurricane proof", unfortunately there was nothing left of it except the steel pilings that went all the way to the third floor (or fourth floor if you count the bottom parking area). That was it, nothing else. So really truly, it just depends on how you take the hit I would think, heck who knows.

Again, Congratulations on your "new and improved home" and I am really jealous sitting over here in the "point".

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas meal in your home and here is wishing you a joyous and another safe hurricane season and New Year!

Mary
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#127 Postby Frank P » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:34 pm

thanks Mary.... I can relate quite well to everything you mentioned about FEMA trailer living... I have not taken a shower in my trailer in over a week (been taking it in my six foot jacuzzi, along with the nine foot ceilings its like taking a shower in a gym compared to the FEMA trailer.... we're getting close but still not quite there... we did have a wonderful meal on christmas day in the house, actually we ate for three nights in a row with my kids in town in the new house... and the view was so wonderful... worth every penny that I've invested in my house just for the view that I've always taken for granted... and your right about one thing... doesn't really matter how you build your house, if the surge water gets to your living quarters, especially if you're on the beach, you can forget it... that's why I went two feet about the Katrina surge, which is 10 feet above the advisory flood levels by FEMA...

My understanding about the wind pool is that it costs about 1500 dollars for every 100,000 dollars of coverage... so if you insure your house for 200,000 it will cost 3000 for wind, that does not include regular home insurance or contents... I expect it to cost me about 5K for insurance... but since I won't have a house note it will be hopefully the only price I'll have to pay to live on the beach...

I'll start finish coats of painting on Friday, hope to be completed by early next week.... electrical crew coming on Tuesday to install all the light fixtures... my house will be lit up like a light house.... granite counter tops coming on Tuesday also.... Oak flooring on Jan 14... I expect us, or at least my wife to move in by the end of January... I'll stay in the trailer until I get build a doggie condo under the house for my dogs... I've got to convince them its a real house or they won't want to live in it... also looking seriously at getting a dumbwaiter for the back porch... 1000 pound lift cost 7300 bucks.. I'll post some pixs early next week with most of the finish work completed, still won't have any doors though... :cry:

Have a happy and safe new year...
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#128 Postby MGC » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:31 pm

Frank, you should get an elevator installed or maybe an escalator to make that trek up to your new place easier on the knees. Enjoy your new home and happy New Year....MGC
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#129 Postby Frank P » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:12 am

MGC wrote:Frank, you should get an elevator installed or maybe an escalator to make that trek up to your new place easier on the knees. Enjoy your new home and happy New Year....MGC

Dumbwaiter is about the best I can do.... name fits too... hehe

Thanks MGC, happy new year to you too...
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#130 Postby MSRobi911 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:24 am

Do you remember reading in the paper about the couple in Ocean Springs, well actually it was Belfountaine Beach I think that put in an elevator? I know the lady if you want me to call and find out the price and the name of the elevator, etc.

Mary

PS I always said if we rebuild and go up that I will have some kind of dumbwaiter or something installed cause there is no way I am going to tote groceries up the stairs that many times. Not, with my knees!
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#131 Postby Frank P » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:29 pm

MSRobi911 wrote:Do you remember reading in the paper about the couple in Ocean Springs, well actually it was Belfountaine Beach I think that put in an elevator? I know the lady if you want me to call and find out the price and the name of the elevator, etc.

Mary

PS I always said if we rebuild and go up that I will have some kind of dumbwaiter or something installed cause there is no way I am going to tote groceries up the stairs that many times. Not, with my knees!

Yes Mary I would be interested in the price if you can get it, but as I recall, the cheapest I could find a real elevator on the coast with all the bells and whistles was about 18,000... to much for my taste... a 7300 dumbwaiter will have to suffice... but I'm still interested
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#132 Postby wxman57 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:43 pm

Frank P wrote:
MSRobi911 wrote:Do you remember reading in the paper about the couple in Ocean Springs, well actually it was Belfountaine Beach I think that put in an elevator? I know the lady if you want me to call and find out the price and the name of the elevator, etc.

Mary

Yes Mary I would be interested in the price if you can get it, but as I recall, the cheapest I could find a real elevator on the coast with all the bells and whistles was about 18,000... to much for my taste... a 7300 dumbwaiter will have to suffice... but I'm still interested

Frank,

I know one couple just off Beach St. in Pascagoula (St. Mary Street) who put in an elevator into their 2-story home. The foundation is 17 ft. above their old slab and about 2-3 feet higher than the surge got from Katrina. Was just at their house getting a tour last week. If you're considering one, it really needs to be included very early in the planning. Don't know the cost, but probably in the $10,000-$20,000 range, I'd guess .

Here are a couple of pictures of Carla & Cleve's house. The elevator is just left of the front door and goes into the area surrounded by thin plywood sheeting. The plywood is made to break away easily. There are half inch steel rods running up the columns all the way to the roof to hold it all together and half inch steel cable cross bracing between a number of columns. Quite a hike up the stairs to the front door. They have 6 kits all from a previous marriage. Cleve had 3 girls, Carla 3 boys. Kind of like the Brady bunch.

http://myweb.cableone.net/nolasue/CarlaHouseFront.JPG

http://myweb.cableone.net/nolasue/CarlaHouseBack.jpg
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#133 Postby Frank P » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:58 pm

nice house pixs for sure wxman57, impressive... bet they're quite excited about the building process... I have an area that I build in my house that was designed for an elevator... actually I have two areas, one would require me to remove the back stairs, the other would only require me to cut a hole in the back porch decking... I would lose about 18 sq ft of porch space which is no big deal... I'm probably going with the 4x4 dumbwaiter... its all metal with a full enclosed glass elevator... rated for 1000 pounds, hopefully I wont get to fat to overload it either...

happy new year all...
Last edited by Frank P on Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#134 Postby Frank P » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:24 pm

here are some new pixs

Christmas meal with wife (center), son and his future wife, son in law and daughter

house with fascia and soffet and porch ceiling completed

front door trimmed out awaiting final painting

kitchen cabinets, awaiting granite and appliances...

windows and crown awaiting final painting...

sunset

0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#135 Postby wxman57 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:44 pm

Frank,

I drove along the beach between Biloxi & Pass Christian last week while I was visiting my mother in Gautier. I'm fairly sure I remember seeing your house along the way. May have even taken a picture of it.
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#136 Postby Lindaloo » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:33 pm

wxman, is that Carla Avery's house?

St. Mary and Enger took a hard blow from Katrina. Glad to see some rebuilding on that street.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#137 Postby wxman57 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:00 am

Lindaloo wrote:wxman, is that Carla Avery's house?

St. Mary and Enger took a hard blow from Katrina. Glad to see some rebuilding on that street.

It's Carla & Cleve Bond. Carla's maiden name is Goodgame.
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#138 Postby Frank P » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:24 am

wxman57 wrote:Frank,

I drove along the beach between Biloxi & Pass Christian last week while I was visiting my mother in Gautier. I'm fairly sure I remember seeing your house along the way. May have even taken a picture of it.

Next time you're down stop by and visit.... I'll give you the two dollar tour of the house... first new house built on the beach in Biloxi after Katrina... historic in a small way
0 likes   

simplykristi
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#139 Postby simplykristi » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:29 pm

Hi Frank,
I am soooo excited for you and your family! :) Way to go! :) I love it! I cannot wait to see pics of the finished home at the end of the month. :)

Kristi

P.S. I would have checked in a lot sooner but was not notified of new messages!
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#140 Postby Lindaloo » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:05 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Lindaloo wrote:wxman, is that Carla Avery's house?

It's Carla & Cleve Bond. Carla's maiden name is Goodgame.

Oh my!! I went to elementary school with Carla. She is such a sweetheart.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”