And the fraud continues.....

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

And the fraud continues.....

#1 Postby Lindaloo » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:27 am

Two FEMA Workers Arrested For Getting Katrina Assistance By Fraud

Sep 27, 2006 05:20 PM CDT

Federal prosecutors announced Wednesday the arrest of two FEMA employees on charges of fraudulently receiving $25,562 in Hurricane Katrina assistance.

U.S. Attorney Dunn Lampton said Duane Adams and Emily Fuqua are accused in a criminal complaint filed in federal court in Gulfport of filing a false disaster assistance claim with FEMA.

Court documents showed Adams claimed his primary residence, a houseboat in Moss Point, had been completely destroyed by Katrina on Aug. 29, 2005. Lampton said Adams was not the owner of the houseboat.

Lampton said when a FEMA representative called to verify the claim, Fuqua allegedly identified herself as the person who sold the houseboat to Adams.

http://www.wlox.com/Global/story.asp?S=5467463
0 likes   

Jim Cantore

#2 Postby Jim Cantore » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:35 pm

People like this should be tarred, feathered, and tossed in jail for a long time.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#3 Postby Dionne » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:14 pm

What I would like to see is a felony conviction, some jail time and community service. The community service should force these former FEMA employees to stand on a street corner down in the catastrophic zone holding a sign that says "I stole Katrina relief funds"........
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Lindaloo » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:15 pm

Dionne wrote:What I would like to see is a felony conviction, some jail time and community service. The community service should force these former FEMA employees to stand on a street corner down in the catastrophic zone holding a sign that says "I stole Katrina relief funds"........

That would be nice.
0 likes   

george_r_1961
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby george_r_1961 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:30 pm

Dionne wrote:What I would like to see is a felony conviction, some jail time and community service. The community service should force these former FEMA employees to stand on a street corner down in the catastrophic zone holding a sign that says "I stole Katrina relief funds"........

Id like to see substantial prison time, at least 10 years. And a hefty fine they can begin paying on after their release. Do I sound harsh? Heres why:

I HAVE NO PATIENCE OR TOLERANCE WHATSOEVER FOR ANYONE WHO TAKES ADVANTAGE OF A DISASTER AND CAPITALIZES ON IT BY FILING FALSE CLAIMS!!!! Especially an employee of the agency charged with disbursing funds!

Rant over
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Ptarmigan » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:29 pm

Throw the books at them.
:grr: :grr: :grr: :grr:
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”